Club Focus Essendon 2022 - Setterfield, Weideman, Tsatas, Hayes, A. Davey Jr, J. Davey, Munkara, Montgomerie

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

ding ding ding ding

Jay Neagle drafted 2005, rookie listed in 2010
Anthony Long drafted 2009, rookie listed 2011
2012 we had Aerial Steinberg
2013 no previous listed players but three mature agers in Johny Rayner, Fraser Thurlow and Pambrose
2014 Shaun McKernan, Avlett, Jake Long
2015 we still had Will Hams whom we had delisted but re listed
2016 Shaun McKernan was still around
2017 we still had on the rookie list Jake Long and Shaun McKErnan,
2018 we de drafted Matt Dea
2019 we still had Zac Clarke, Will Snelling (mid season draftee), Trent Mynott, Matt Dea
2020 we had Dylan Clarke and Marty Gleeson go around again
2021 we had Dylan Clarke and to a lesser extent Alec Waterman

We always go back to what we know won't work and wonder why it isn't working. On top of that, we have hardly thrown darts at the kids in the rookie drafts in the last 10 years, it is something like 3 U18 midfielders in the rookie draft this century that Dodoro has tried. Not a great effort let alone strike rate.
Lol, most of that wasn’t drafting, it was just standard list management moving players to the rookie list to bring the picks forward. Better to have the last pick in the ND rather than pick 40 odd in the rookie draft. The vast bulk of the players listed had existing EFC contracts for the year they were rookied.

The main exception was McKernan 2016 who would go on to be promoted again and then go to a different club.

And why the concern with using rookie picks on older players (new to EFC)? That’s been a good source of players for us. I mean, why knock the Ambrose or Waterman (or initial McKernan) picks?

Lol, most of that wasn’t drafting, it was just standard list management moving players to the rookie list to bring the picks forward. Better to have the last pick in the ND rather than pick 40 odd in the rookie draft. The vast bulk of the players listed had existing EFC contracts for the year they were rookied.

The main exception was McKernan 2016 who would go on to be promoted again and then go to a different club.

And why the concern with using rookie picks on older players (new to EFC)? That’s been a good source of players for us. I mean, why knock the Ambrose or Waterman (or initial McKernan) picks?
I couldn't tell you another club that does this anywhere as much as us. It may well be 'list management' but we can't be wondering why we struggle to get past 7th in the last 2 decades. Doing the same dumb s**t.

I couldn't tell you another club that does this anywhere as much as us. It may well be 'list management' but we can't be wondering why we struggle to get past 7th in the last 2 decades. Doing the same dumb s**t.
I couldn't tell you either, as I don't watch the other clubs. I do know other clubs do it all the time though, how much it is the same clubs over and again I don't know. Richmond certainly did it a few times recently. It actually bit them due to Chol being deemed a DFA.

As to why we fail to finish above 7th, coaching, fitness/injury management and being impatient and topping up would be the main criteria. Oh, and of course the saga which derailed our best post 2003 team.

Any news on any players other than Tom Phillips linked to the dons ?
Adrian and the affiliated media mafia are usually in full swing at this time of year ?

Adrian and the affiliated media mafia are usually in full swing at this time of year ?
Essendon stories sell papers!

But yeah, probably just going to the draft this year outside of some cheap role players. Hard to make moves without a coach

Mostly lower tier players like Bedford, Stocker and Setterfield.

How will the club reach their salary cap minimum ?
I'd be guessing any longer term contracts will have a lot of the money next season, like Langford, Merrett, Stringer and Laverde. We're also probably going to take a salary dump or two

So right now we're at:

Out: Smith, Francis, Cutler, Hurley, Ham, McDonagh, Brand, Walla*, Waterman, Hird**
In: Weideman, Setterfield, D'Ambrosio, Menzie

*Might re-sign. **Cat B
So we have 5 open spots, plus a Cat B spot as well, which I'm hoping Munkara slips to. So we can use 4, 22 (possibly trading up to a higher pick) and then match on players like Davey, Davey and Munkara, or leaving a spot open for SSP

So right now we're at:

Out: Smith, Francis, Cutler, Hurley, Ham, McDonagh, Brand, Walla*, Waterman, Hird**
In: Weideman, Setterfield, D'Ambrosio, Menzie

*Might re-sign. **Cat B
So we have 5 open spots, plus a Cat B spot as well, which I'm hoping Munkara slips to. So we can use 4, 22 (possibly trading up to a higher pick) and then match on players like Davey, Davey and Munkara, or leaving a spot open for SSP
Still this. If Walla does rejoin us, we're going to be incredibly tight for list spots. May trade out #22 for a 2023 pick and late 2022 ones if Davey is taken after it, just so we have a list spot for Munkara.

Would make things so much easier if we knew if he'll be drafted before 40, after 40, or not at all! The first and third mean we don't need a list spot for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back