Essendon have Simon Lethlean on radar for football operations job

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-football-operations-job-20171122-gzqe1r.html

Essendon will consider former AFL football operations boss Simon Lethlean for their vacant football operations position.

Lethlean was recently overlooked for the Carlton CEO position after the Blues' selection panel decided to appoint former Richmond administrator Cain Liddle to the job.

Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell confirmed on SEN that they would be open to chatting to Lethlean about their club's football operations job after Rob Kerr finished up at the end of this week.

"He is someone who will be on the radar for sure," Campbell said.

A married guy on 900k in a dream job and to **** up that badly. Certainly not a crime and maybe not even lose your job over, but you have to question the guy’s character and judgement. Very unprofessional. Not sure why we’d bother, especially for footy manager role

Shouldn't he be in jail or something? Lord knows it's not enough to lose your job on a whim.

This should fuel the fires of outrage on social media.
I'm sold.

A married guy on 900k in a dream job and to **** up that badly. Certainly not a crime and maybe not even lose your job over, but you have to question the guy’s character and judgement. Very unprofessional. Not sure why we’d bother, especially for footy manager role

A lot of people compartmentalise what could be objectively considered to be 'disastrous' personal lives from very successful professional lives.

A lot of people compartmentalise what could be objectively considered to be 'disastrous' personal lives from very successful professional lives.

Not when it involves an office affair where he is a senior executive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not when it involves an office affair where he is a senior executive.

Did anything wrong happen? I'm asking seriously. How did it go from Caro singing praises to Leathlean being forced to resign within weeks if it was such a problem? We know that she is a mouthpiece for the AFL if there was even a hint of discontent would he be the poster boy?

I worry that the post modernists have us if we have to assume that consenting relations between adults are deemed an abuse of power. There hasn't been any Weinstein type allegations have there?

If the AFL wants to set a workplace policy that is another thing entirely. But I understand that there wasn't one.

His wife won't be happy with him but I'm not going to worry about that. That's their business and as JC said 'cast the first stone'. Everyone must be so squeaky clean.

Did anything wrong happen? I'm asking seriously. How did it go from Caro singing praises to Leathlean being forced to resign within weeks if it was such a problem? We know that she is a mouthpiece for the AFL if there was even a hint of discontent would he be the poster boy?

I worry that the post modernists have us if we have to assume that consenting relations between adults are deemed an abuse of power. There hasn't been any Weinstein type allegations have there?

If the AFL wants to set a workplace policy that is another thing entirely. But I understand that there wasn't one.

His wife won't be happy with him but I'm not going to worry about that. That's their business and as JC said 'cast the first stone'. Everyone must be so squeaky clean.

Plenty of companies have office affair policies which are just guidelines, nothing too harsh. But then have very strict policies when it comes to supervisor/subordinate relationships. Due more to possible litigation, as one party could turn around and claim harrassment and end up suing ex partner and the company itself. This didn't seem the case with Lethlean but still unprofessional.

It also can raise issues of possible favouritism and cause morale issues in the office. Firm I work for it's quite clear cut. Seems there may have been some of these issues with some of the other women in the AFL office from what was reported.

Look at the problems at Seven West Media with Tim Worner....caused a shedload of problems and even had an adverse impace on share price. David Jones, Energy Aust, Westpac all had issues with CEOs/senior execs. Fair Work Commission even commented about it in the Westpac case and suggested companies should introduce "Conflict of Interest" policy to counter the supe/subordinate issue.

For a bloke in such a high profile job, all the publicity from previous cases, Lethlean was an even bigger idiot and completely unprofessional. Poor judgement and a lack of character.

I suspect the role of footy operations manager would be a backward step for Lethlean, considering his past role, and he applying for CEO positions at AFL clubs - Couldn't give a toss about his alleged indiscretion at his last job, especially if EFC has strong policies covering this area - I find it disturbing the way these two women are portrayed in the media - One of the two women was a qualified lawyer - Reading the media you'd think they were tea ladies.

probably worth pointing out that after I posted this thread I listened to the interview, and I am happy to say I ****ed that order up.

Because it really was a nothing article. Basically he was asked if they would consider him and after prevaricating slightly he said what anyone would say, that he would be someone you'd talk to. But hadn't yet. Very meh article

He got caught. We need people who don't get caught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back