Opinion Essendon v North? Rivalry or one sided rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

If there’s a rivalry it’s extremely tepid from Essendon’s perspective. Bigger fish to fry and all that.
We are to busy playing in actual blockbusters like Dream time and Anzac Day, can’t forget the country game too lol

Meanwhile. The Good Friday game North put up looks set to be taken away from them due to how poor they are going

We are to busy playing in actual blockbusters like Dream time and Anzac Day, can’t forget the country game too lol

Meanwhile. The Good Friday game North put up looks set to be taken away from them due to how poor they are going
King’s Birthday Eve game will grow too with any luck.

The Bombers did block the Roos entry into the VFL back in the day. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then obviously, but in regards to building a supporter base that badly affected the Roos. That would be the origins behind the North and Bombers feud.

Essendon fans would consider Carlton, Hawthorn and Collingwood in that order to be bigger rivals though.

Although i think we were against the Roos entry into the VFL as well. Apparently Arden Street had a reputation for being a rowdy venue back in those days!

The Roos were apparently a very dirty side as well. The thinking probably was we can't be allowing this crowd of savages into the VFL! :laughv1:

Last edited:
For all the talk of ‘rivalry’ … this is a club who has a horrific 35% winning percentage against Essendon and in 100 years of games have never beaten them by 10 goals or more. Greatest margin of 59 points in 1985 - a year we won the flag by 12 goals.

Think about all those great teams of the past. The purchased flag team/s of the 70s & the Pagan team of the 90s … there were some mediocre Dons teams during those times and still couldn’t get it done.

Thankfully their record against the Dons in finals is better. A whopping 37% - a relevant metric as their fans have a huge obsession with Essendon and finals whilst deliberately deflecting from their club’s own dire situation.

The Bombers did block the Roos entry into the VFL back in the day. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then obviously, but in regards to building a supporter base that badly affected the Roos. That would be the origins behind the North and Bombers feud.

Essendon fans would consider Carlton, Hawthorn and Collingwood in that order to be bigger rivals though.

Although i think we were against the Roos entry into the VFL as well. Apparently Arden Street had a reputation for being a rowdy venue back in those days!

The Roos were apparently a very dirty side as well. The thinking probably was we can't be allowing this crowd of savages into the VFL! :laughv1:
carlton tried to buy them in the Elliott days !

Those days are long gone. There's no rivalries these days, it's all manufactured to generate interest and dollars.

Hawthorn & Carlton - daylight to Collingwood

both clubs consider each other rivals, so there.

based on locality and the whole VFL breakaway from the VFL palava where Essendon blocked North from breaking away with them, I'd say this was probably one of the first big rivalries. They just didn't get to take it onto the field for 28 years!
Yes there is a rivalry based more on trivia like marshmallows.

People may not care about that stuff any more or hold grudges like they used to, and that is a good thing I suppose; but this one seems like a legit rivalry to me.

Back in the day there would have been a pretty prominent Protestant vs Catholic factor to it as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that was a very dodgy arrangement alright! I think we owned some shares in the Roos as well.

I think the thinking behind it was to have first date dibs on their players if the Roos were forced into a merger!
I think his grand plan was to buy them, grab their guns and then be the second side out of Sydney, as in 11 games Melbourne, 11 games sydney.

When?

I think you are right how you perceive it, and I would somewhat compare it to the Collingwood-Geelong rivalry.

It's an important rivalry for Geelong (probably the biggest after the Hawks), but Collingwood have much bigger rivalries against Carlron, Essendon, Richmond and traditionally, even Melbourne.

In the same way, North probably view their rivalry with Essendon as one of their biggest, whereas Essendon have much more significant ones with Hawthorn, Carlton and Collingwood.
I wouldn't call Geelong/Collingwood a rivalry at all.

As you mention, Collingwood have long established rivalries with Carlton & Essendon in particular. They don't need us in that regard.

On the other hand, Geelong supporters adore Collingwood. They're a free pass to the next round every time we meet them in finals.

There's no hatred to build upon, which is what a rivalry needs.

Outside of the traditional rivalries going back to the stone age (Carlton/Collingwood), and ones that popped up later down the line (Hawthorn vs Essendon/Geelong), there are no 'rivalries' for mine.

The rest are often just between two clubs who happen to be up at the time, or are built on a hatred between two playing groups, rather than two clubs if that makes sense.

They're made out to be a big deal, but they're forgotten about 5 years later.

Ask Sheeds who he hated the most in that time period
I happen to know Sheeds very well. Unquestionably, Carlton are the team he wanted to beat most. Then Hawthorn. The Roos, in the mid / late 90’s were the bogey team and Sheeds used all means to get on top of them. But overall, it’s the Blues, daylight then the Hawks.

All Essendon people despise Carlton!

There's a little more historical context to add too considering Essendon were nomadic at one time and the "Same Olds" tried to takeover Hotham's (now North Melbourne's) ground.

Note: I've avoided using Essendon's far more racist nickname at the time prior to them settling on "Bombers".

Ironically, North's B&F is named after a guy who played VFL for Essendon as well as for their own VFA side.

In order,

Carlton - in our DNA. Hate them more than taxes. The only thing that can get close to the feeling of a Bombers win is a Blues loss. If both happen on the same weekend it's a holiday. We've both been sh*t for so long (except they've won more spoons than played finals since 2002) and both chasing 17. (What is even a 'Blue'?)

Collingwood - we haven't been as good for a long time so hasn't been as feirce, but nothing hurts more than a close loss to the biggest FIGJAM club in the AFL, even moreso that they've equalled us on flags and the with added prospect of us being on more equal footing someday soon (which I'm sure will fill them with delight).

Hawthorn - love to act tough but generally a soft team we like to show up/put in place

Richmond - the evil twin. They had their little time in the sun but they're back to where they belong, wishing they were as big as us + dreamtime clashes

West Coast - jacket waving + us having the biggest non-Eagles/Docker supporter base in WA. Usually close games.

North - their Grand Final.

Last edited:
There's a little more historical context to add too considering Essendon were nomadic at one time and the "Same Olds" tried to takeover Hotham's (now North Melbourne's) ground.

Ah no, that’s not quite what happened. North tried to entice Essendon into a merger with the lure of using their ground as a replacement for east melbourne. What they didn’t say was that any team that plays at that ground had to be named North Melbourne, which wasn’t the proposal put forward to Essendon. The proof of this was that they went on to merge with the Essendon association side and it was called North Melbourne , wore north’s colors and the Essendon association side effectively was taken over and became defunct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back