Game Day Essendon v Sydney Swans @3:10 PM MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they want him around the ball but it's a big ask for a youngster of smaller stature. I can't wait to see him in there as well but we need to be careful.
Imagine they want him as "first receiver" out of the ruck to try to maximise entry quality. Doubt they'll want him face to face with the heavyweights.

Heard a few mumbles that he didn't make a lot of friends at Uni. Don't know first hand but perhaps there was something there.
To be honest that could say more about them than it does of Richards. Had the displeasure of serving the Uni boys during one of their preseason bonding sessions a couple years back. One of the most disgusting groups of blokes I had served in my 6 years of pulling beers.

Last edited:

To be honest that could speak more about them than it does of Richards. Had the displeasure of serving the Uni boys during one of their preseason bonding sessions a couple years back. One of the most disgusting groups of blokes I had served in my 6 years pulling beers.
Wow! Sad to hear, but there you go. Nothing beats first hand.

Imagine they want him as "first receiver" out of the ruck to try to maximise entry quality. Doubt they'll want him face to face with the heavyweights.

Yep, also probably want to address our slow starts. Don't think we'll see him in there apart from the 1st quarter. I like they're trying something different.

I’m sorry to be a negative Nancy but at what point does all this become too much for the players? I picture a day when they just don’t show up mentally and get well beaten and it will have nothing to do with their ability as a team.

Hope I’m wrong. Whatever happens there should be an asterisk next to the Swans name indicating exception performance under difficult circumstances. They’ve been incredible.

Yep, Theres a tipping point. Maybe that point is to be so close to seeing their families, only to find yourself 2000km away and in a state of unknown.. again.
If lockdown didn't happen in SE QLD yesterday, I would've backed the Swans to demolished the bombers. Now Im thinking could go either way.
I reckon if the Swans win, they deserve 8 points and a week off to spend with their families
I’m sorry to be a negative Nancy but at what point does all this become too much for the players? I picture a day when they just don’t show up mentally and get well beaten and it will have nothing to do with their ability as a team.

Hope I’m wrong. Whatever happens there should be an asterisk next to the Swans name indicating exception performance under difficult circumstances. They’ve been incredible.

Yep, Theres a tipping point. Maybe that point is to be so close to seeing their families, only to find yourself 2000km away and in a state of unknown.. again.
If lockdown didn't happen in SE QLD yesterday, I would've backed the Swans to demolished the bombers. Now Im thinking could go either way.
I reckon if the Swans win, they deserve 8 points and a week off to spend with their families
Maybe I’m a bit old school but I really don’t think young lads miss their families that much.

But maybe this generation has a slightly more layered emotional world than ours did.

Maybe I’m a bit old school but I really don’t think young lads miss their families that much.

But maybe this generation has a slightly more layered emotional world than ours did.
Reckon the young players might miss their girlfriends.. but that shouldn't impact
I was more talking of Hickey, Buddy, JPK, Reid, Hewett etc all players with young families. Then there's the staff in the same situation.
Hickey was interviewed a month or so ago and spoke of how much he loved footy, but it came second to his partner and kid. He's been an absolute trooper, having an attitude of - if he's giving up so much (family), then what's the point losing. And they've been playing out of their skin
There has been a light at the end of the tunnel, that light has just been taken away, and when it was sooo close. Wheres the tipping point?

no idea how today will pan out. Not too confident tbh.
The start will be very important to see if we're on.

"nuanced" emotional world ... the key word is "nuanced", everything is friggin "nuanced" these days ...

but this could also simply be another hurdle this bunch has to jump over ... been on the road for however long it is now, and the bonding builds, the resilience builds ... they start to accept a bit of adversity as the norm, and realise winning footy games (wherever they're played) is the easy part coz that's at least the one thing they've trained for, the one thing they know

and maybe it's not going to pay off this season, maybe we get rolled today, but sometime down the track we'll be cheering on a team that finds nothing too much to overcome ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of all the players with families. But has there been any word about who traveled. I seriously relate so many of our wins to Hickey these days that I doubt we win this without him.

My worry would be we end up bottom half of the 8 and that moment comes in an elimination final. In some ways, we may be better off dropping a game in the run in.

Swans by 40 points cause I am watching at home alone and gonna eat homemade roast chicken for dinner
What did you make the chicken out of? 😉

Shunted around our boys, with the unexpected travel and re-scheduling, but probably the Bombers also? Still it's a home game for them at the G.

So Georgie Hewett shuts down either Parish or Merrett. And we play team defence on the other one.

Swans by 14. We're fortunate to have many younger players in our list, who will cope with the travel and lockdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back