Game Day Essendon v Sydney Swans @3:10 PM MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to ask when was the last time we played Essendon at the G but I looked it up. 2019, lost by 10.

Now I'm wondering when was the last time we beat them there.

Prior to 2019, the previous MCG game was in 2004 (lost by 10 also). We've lost the last seven games going back to 1993. Before that games were played at Windy Hill or Waverley so contests at the G were pretty rare if they happened at all. Maybe some final in the 1930s or 1910s?

Weird and slightly disconcerting stat. On the upside, great one to stash away for the next quiz night.

In my head, its like the last time we played in Sydney. Drink our own bathwater in the 1st quarter, claw our way back in the 2nd. Still a few minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Swans by 3.

More of a 60-second iMovie trailer than a full length highlights reel, but agree nonetheless. He had his moments and was better than some of the "depth" players currently on our list.
His best moments were great, but alas his worst cost him his place in the side. He was an excitement machine. Run and carry and cause chaos. He was the master.

I think if Dean Towers came into the side today without the absurdly high bar to get over (we were trying to win a premiership), I think he would've been praised for doing the little things and be deeply set in the best 22. But... you never knew what you are going to get with him. Pressure for the bottom 6 spots was immense.

we beat essendon last at the mcg in 1923

hope we kept the gameplan
With that record its probably just as well we never met them in a final at the G recently. Imagine being responsible for the Bombers finally winning a final:eekv1:

I think if Dean Towers came into the side today without the absurdly high bar to get over (we were trying to win a premiership), I think he would've been praised for doing the little things and be deeply set in the best 22. But... you never knew what you are going to get with him. Pressure for the bottom 6 spots was immense.

Xavier Richards would have been nice too but he didn't want 150k a year for chasing leather. Some people are so self entitled

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not too fussed we’re playing at the MCG.

In our two games there this year, we demolished the reigning premiers, and put up a pretty good fight against the team that has been on top of the ladder for much of this season.
Swans game plan loves the width. Where else would we rather play. Bring on the Bummers!!

I’m not too fussed we’re playing at the MCG.

In our two games there this year, we demolished the reigning premiers, and put up a pretty good fight against the team that has been on top of the ladder for much of this season.
Forgot we played the Demons at the G. For some reason I could only recall the Tigers game...:roflv1:

Capable player, We offered him a contract, instead he tested the waters. No takers. Guess what. Delisted instead. Weird.

You get the feeling he obviously just wanted out of Sydney at all costs and footy might not've been the priority that it should've been, given he was capable as you said. If someone took him, great, he's back home playing for a Victorian club. If no one did, no big deal, back home in some local league. Either way he's back home. I think it was clever on his behalf.

You get the feeling he obviously just wanted out of Sydney at all costs and footy might not've been the priority that it should've been, given he was capable as you said. If someone took him, great, he's back home playing for a Victorian club. If no one did, no big deal, back home in some local league. Either way he's back home. I think it was clever on his behalf.
Didn't he end up at Uni in Sydney? I get he thought footy was not his number one aim in life. It was just the way he went about it. It was weird.

Didn't he end up at Uni in Sydney? I get he thought footy was not his number one aim in life. It was just the way he went about it. It was weird.

Actually yeah you might be right. I do remember seeing him in a Sydney Uni jumper coming up against the rest in a NEAFL match. I suppose if it wasn't his main priority in life then the way you go about advancing yourself in it, or distancing yourself from it, matters less. Would love to hear his mentality behind it. Maybe one day we will.

I love it when we reminisce about Dean Towers 🤗

I don't disagree, but I would be absolutely shocked if Gulden played more than 15% of the match in the middle. And I don't think he'd be starting there.
I think they want him around the ball but it's a big ask for a youngster of smaller stature. I can't wait to see him in there as well but we need to be careful.

Gulden has been doing this sh*t since he was a kid. OK he is still a kid. But he has and he will. I hope he is OK.
It's second nature being at the bottom of packs for him and he is obviously courageous but some players need protecting from themselves. He's going to be a gun midfielder and will be a massive boost for us but he is still a first year player, still growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back