Essendons next flag not too far away

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon weren’t able to drop anyone from the AFL side because their VFL side is travelling even worse. Nobody is putting their hand up at VFL level.

They’ve got no leaders. Heppell isn’t capable of the type of leadership a rebuilding side needs but there also isn’t an alternative.

Outside of the drug saga, this is the lowest they’ve been in 50 years at least.
Sheedy the only person to coach a winning final for them in 54 years.

The balance of success for us compared with all the other Victorian clubs has been that we've been really lucky since 1984 to have had 4 premierships. There are other clubs that have been more successful than us over the last 20 years like The Saints, The Bulldogs in terms of ladder finishes, but the Premiership still eludes some of those clubs. So when you think about the spread of premierships over the Vic clubs, we've done pretty well. The Tigers caught up to us by winning all those cups. The Cats and Hawks have dominated. The Magpies have two cups but have made way more finals then us. North Melbourne have a couple of premierships since the 70s but have struggled as well. Blues have been successful from 1980 to the early 2000's.

So it was enjoyable when the bulldogs and demons won theirs as it had been so long, even as a neutral.

If you think about the balance of success, we've been really good since 1980 to about 2004, then just fell off a cliff progressively and then stabilised as a mediocre performing team for 15 years or so...

We are stuck in that trot of zero success that most football clubs go through at any give 10-20 year period. It sucks for the football club but it's just the reality of how football leagues have worked for the last 100 years. Unless there is a real motivation to push for success then that could go on for a lot longer considering all the other clubs that are due for some sort of success as well as the newer clubs on the scene with strong draft picks and so forth..

Essendon as a club has to realise they aren't special just because they have a history of being great teams of yesteryear.

What is surprising is that we have a strong group of coaches on paper and some nice new training facilities as well, a talented list, so I don't know what's going wrong at the club. Who knows.

From watching a few games, our fitness is really down, motivation, and marking ability is horrible. I've seen local clubs attempt more accurate marking ability. Which to me says they don't even train them how to mark properly.

Remember that, if you can take a mark, it's a guaranteed possession, if you punch the ball on, it's a 50/50 possession and that's if you don't fumble, which we do, lol.

Last edited:
Essendon weren’t able to drop anyone from the AFL side because their VFL side is travelling even worse. Nobody is putting their hand up at VFL level.

They’ve got no leaders. Heppell isn’t capable of the type of leadership a rebuilding side needs but there also isn’t an alternative.

Outside of the drug saga, this is the lowest they’ve been in 50 years at least.

VFL side lost again today will go winless for the year.

Both the AFL and VFL will finish bottom 4 with a combined total of 2 wins only it's real concerning

Complete and utter shambles our football club is and they are *ingg doing nothing about it.

Following Essendon literally drains me to the point where im loosing intrest in the AFL i hardly watch other games now only keep tabs on the score

VFL side lost again today will go winless for the year.

Both the AFL and VFL will finish bottom 4 with a combined total of 2 wins only it's real concerning

Complete and utter shambles our football club is and they are *****g doing nothing about it.

Following Essendon literally drains me to the point where im loosing intrest in the AFL i hardly watch other games now only keep tabs on the score

Hepp was out there flying the flag.
2mP goalless on the big stage though …

Remove this Banner Ad

Back