Essendons next flag not too far away

Remove this Banner Ad

With something like 11 of our top 30 players injured we had like 9 AFL listed players in the VFL last week and only one (BZT iirc) who could be ok at AFL level.

Development an issue (we’re third last) but fitness is just as, if not more worrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all clubs have injuries, no excuse
below is a list of carlton players who did not player who did not play in the side that beat GWS ( zac williams injured during game)
most injured, some not selected

Fogarty McKay Cuningham
Honey McGovern Martin
Setterfield e Curnow Williamson
Stocker McDonald Parks
Marchbank Young Boyd
Rucks: Pittonet, Dow, Philp
Inter: Mirkov, Akuei

only Mirkov & Akuei have not played AFL games. Both Projects.

The OP wasnt far off the mark. Lots of Essendon supporters are adament they would have gone deep in September, if not win the flag in 2013 if the drugs saga didnt pan out.

Good core of young talent?

You are coming dead last in the VFL.

Time to wake up to reality.
young talent isn't in the VFL side. which is a concern in and of itself

Hobbs & Martin - 1st year players, in the AFL side
Perkins, Cox, Reid, Baldwin - 2nd year players, in the AFL side
Jones too, but starting to get a bit injury prone.

VFL side has been very neglected, hence uncompetitive, and it means very little pressure on the spots in the AFL side
We "dropped" Shiel and named him sub....because there was no one else.

it's not really a core though
Baldwin is a prospect. could go either way.
Club has no idea what to do with Cox and its already impacting his development
Reid is 4 games into his career. Albeit, looks like our best defender already (also a concern)
Hobbs similar but as a competitive midfielder.
Perkins and Martin are the two that have come on strongly.

Not talking about the vfl side

Essendon,North,West Coast. If a new coach had to chose you would pick Essendon who have the most upside to work with
Says who? Based on what evidence?

A one-eyed dyed in the wool Bombers fan?

Youd probably pick North to be honest.

Not talking about the vfl side

Essendon,North,West Coast. If a new coach had to chose you would pick Essendon who have the most upside to work with
Essendon and West Coast are rebuilds, Essendon not as full on as West Coast and probably at least a 66 game rebuild in hope of making finals. North has started putting pieces in play and you can see they can play a good contested game just run a quarter or two short as young kids do.

If I'm a coach I'm going;

1. West Coast - complete rebuild, mould to my own liking, home ground advantage (+ noise of affirmation), financially stable, can lure decent WA talent across with the prospect of coming home. There would be heaps of pressure if results took a while, but WC fans know footy and have a recent premiership so would moreso accept things will take some time.
2. North - no pressure of expectation, young talent is there and even though losing they are being coached to play a competitive style which will bode well as they fill out.
3. Essendon - pressure to succeed quick, the stigma of the supplements saga will hover over them for another decade, a list that has many holes. At least they got Anzac Day.

Says who? Based on what evidence?

A one-eyed dyed in the wool Bombers fan?

Youd probably pick North to be honest.

Say what you like on how they got there but this same list played finals last season

My concern is not so much lack of talent on the list but how can you play finals one year then go complelty backwards the following year thats the real issue

Players like Ridley who was regarded as one of the best interceptors in the league last year has fallen off a cliff Hind is another who’s gone back wards

And then you have seniors player like Shiel who is supposed to lead the way seem to not give a fck.

To me it’s starts with the coach if he can’t motivate and get the best out of his players then he won’t last

Essendon and West Coast are rebuilds, Essendon not as full on as West Coast and probably at least a 66 game rebuild in hope of making finals. North has started putting pieces in play and you can see they can play a good contested game just run a quarter or two short as young kids do.

If I'm a coach I'm going;

1. West Coast - complete rebuild, mould to my own liking, home ground advantage (+ noise of affirmation), financially stable, can lure decent WA talent across with the prospect of coming home. There would be heaps of pressure if results took a while, but WC fans know footy and have a recent premiership so would moreso accept things will take some time.
2. North - no pressure of expectation, young talent is there and even though losing they are being coached to play a competitive style which will bode well as they fill out.
3. Essendon - pressure to succeed quick, the stigma of the supplements saga will hover over them for another decade, a list that has many holes. At least they got Anzac Day.

North lose by an average of 50 points plus but yeah they play a competitive style lols

If Essendon can get Jones back they immediately become a more threatening team. They can help themselves by placing more pressure on the oppposition.

If Essendon can get Jones back they immediately become a more threatening team. They can help themselves by placing more pressure on the oppposition.
Also missing Snelling who’s our best pressure forward

Langford is another who can play wing and kick goals as a forward

You have Stringer who just makes things happen when he’s up and running

And then there is Tippa who im not sure he will make it back and probably thinking of retiring

The forward line has been decimated this year and not helped by the midfield not applying pressure

Also missing Snelling who’s our best pressure forward

Langford is another who can play wing and kick goals as a forward

And then you have Stringer who just makes things happen when he’s up and running

And then there is Tippa who im not sure he will make it back and probably thinking of retiring

The forward line has been decimated this year
Good points. I really rate Jones. He has the so called x-factor. Reminds me of Hird in the way he moves. I'm not sure if he will have the tank to move into the midfield but if he can then the Bombers will have a real star.

Good points. I really rate Jones. He has the so called x-factor. Reminds me of Hird in the way he moves. I'm not sure if he will have the tank to move into the midfield but if he can then the Bombers will have a real star.
Hopefully Jones in this week or next

We should get Snelling and Stringer after the bye hopefully

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably more a hard running forward. not sure he's built to be a mid.

Say what you like on how they got there but this same list played finals last season

My concern is not so much lack of talent on the list but how can you play finals one year then go complelty backwards the following year thats the real issue

Players like Ridley who was regarded as one of the best interceptors in the league last year has fallen off a cliff Hind is another who’s gone back wards

And then you have seniors player like Shiel who is supposed to lead the way seem to not give a fck.

To me it’s starts with the coach if he can’t motivate and get the best out of his players then he won’t last
It's interesting really. The coach had this same team in the finals last year with a list that was supposedly bottom 4-6 in his first year. He got the very best from his players last year but he can't motivate his team now?? What changed? Was it the coach? Looks like he needs to give his players a David Noble spray and not apologise for it. 52 tackles ATTEMPTS on the weekend is close to the weakest thing I have seen and you can't blame that on the coach. That is just a lack of effort and unwillingness to play for the jumper.

It's interesting really. The coach had this same team in the finals last year with a list that was supposedly bottom 4-6 in his first year. He got the very best from his players last year but he can't motivate his team now?? What changed? Was it the coach? Looks like he needs to give his players a David Noble spray and not apologise for it. 52 tackles ATTEMPTS on the weekend is close to the weakest thing I have seen and you can't blame that on the coach. That is just a lack of effort and unwillingness to play for the jumper.
Soft draw v hard draw. Clearly the hard work is a detterent

Take out stringer, who had a blinder year, and there is the edge/competitiveness

Add shiel back in.

Right now it feels they're no closer to a flag now than they were this time in 2010.
Reading the bomberblitz forum and seen the bombers faithful have already turned on Truck much like they were turning on Knights this time in 2010.
Truck another Tiger plant like Knighta. But this time we've even sent an undercover assistant coach Caracella as well, just in case our main man gets the chop.

Really?

Jones might end up very good but at this stage he just a young kid trying to make his way and get on the park.

He's miles off influencing games.

Want to point out that in that time we've come off the WADA debacle, drafts taken, a focus on player retention, cultural shifts and club recovery. In times of mess ups you inevitably spend a lot of time fixing.

I feel that in light of that, we've done well to recover the way we have, and to rebuild from the ground up, it hasn't been an easy process, but we're probably stronger on our foundations and culture now than we were when this thread was made.

Nevertheless, we still have dead weight and old cob webs to sweep, namely Dodoro and some list cloggers, a change in captain, and a few more positional priorities for future players. There is also a matter of knowing that we'll lose to good sides as a developing team - but knowing the difference between losing while showing competitiveness, and losing while looking lackluster.

It does pay to mention that 5 of our 7 losses this season have been to teams in the Top 7. That's a nightmare fixture for any young team. To put it in perspective, Carlton has only played 1 team in the Top 7 - and that was a loss to Freo.

Nevertheless, the margins could have been better.

Last edited:

I dont get it

Too much is being made of the Luke Parker sledge. Was anyone not expecting that result on the weekend? Essendon are woeful at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back