European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but you are a casual international fan. You are the marketed audience.

The public backlash in the UK is so bad, they will have shocking crowds to begin with. It’s not going to be a good TV spectacle.

It’s interesting, the dice have already been cast. Even if this falls over in the next few weeks, the top 4 aa it stands wil be stripped of their CL positions, revenue is going to flow into the upper mid table sides. If they come back, the sanctions will be huge.

There’s a fair chance they have already irreparably financially strengthened the Everton, West Ham, Leeds, Leicester’s...
Exactly. Their marketed audience is meh to it right now. Whether fans like me are enough to cover the loss of diehards is another story. Whether the diehards truly abandon them is another.

Easy to say that until you actually have to watch division 4 football.

I had to put up with a few years of Leeds in League One, plus been to plenty of non Premier League state soccer/football games over the years here in Victoria.

I am a fan of the beautiful game and code, not a monopoly or cartel on all the rich club's/players in the world.

I had to put up with a few years of Leeds in League One, plus been to plenty of non Premier League state soccer/football games over the years here in Victoria.

I am a fan of the beautiful game and code, not a monopoly or cartel on all the rich club's/players in the world.

I am a fan of state league too but the reality is about 50 people attend.

Even for those are arguing for this super league, the reasons just don’t stack up in reality. The argument that it’s to be some competitive utopia just doesn’t stack up. They have announced 12 of 20 teams and already a number of those will be uncompetitive long term. Spurs, Arsenal and the Milan clubs are going from big fish in a normal pond to small fish in an artificially created super pond that they can never catch up in. The sign up sweetener is they can’t be relegated and will have 8 even less competitive teams join at some point.

Add in the claims it’s not a closed league because 5 teams earn a spot each season, even though they are automatically relegated the following season to make way for the next 5 teams that ‘qualify’.

At least they added a finals series where almost half the competition qualify so only 6 or 7 games each round will be meaningless at the back end of the season.

Depends on how the prize money is divided out
Unless we are talking hundreds of million dollars a year difference in each finishing position then I wouldn’t think so. The biggest clubs are still going to be the biggest clubs. The Italian clubs who joined aren’t going to suddenly become as big financially or globally as the big Spanish or English clubs. The same goes for whoever else is added.

The big clubs will now feed off mid and lower table super league teams instead of domestic ones. The others who signed up are happy with that as long as the money is right.

Even for those are arguing for this super league, the reasons just don’t stack up in reality. The argument that it’s to be some competitive utopia just doesn’t stack up. They have announced 12 of 20 teams and already a number of those will be uncompetitive long term. Spurs, Arsenal and the Milan clubs are going from big fish in a normal pond to small fish in an artificially created super pond that they can never catch up in. The sign up sweetener is they can’t be relegated and will have 8 even less competitive teams join at some point.

Add in the claims it’s not a closed league because 5 teams earn a spot each season, even though they are automatically relegated the following season to make way for the next 5 teams that ‘qualify’.

At least they added a finals series where almost half the competition qualify so only 6 or 7 games each round will be meaningless at the back end of the season.

I would argue the Milan’s, Spurs and Arsenal become more competitive to the big clubs in this environment. Assuming the cash is split evenly amongst the 15 core members, suddenly the wage splits might consolidate.

For instance maybe Man City average wage goes from 200k per week (top earner on 500k pw) to 400k per week with a top earner making $1m a week (I’m just making these figures up as an example)

Spurs on the other hand can lift there average wage bill from 100k per week (top earner on 250k) to 300k (with the top earner on $800-900k). Suddenly your compressing the wages at the top and giving the teams without the financial clout of the mega clubs a shot at the premium talent that always ends up at the same clubs.

Of course that totally screws those not involved, but that’s the way of the world anyway currently at the top of the transfer market

Ive decided in the spirit of Jurgen Flipflop that I am against slave labour so much so that my slave Horacio will wear a t-shirt stating my thoughts
You’ve definitely taken your fake outrage to the limit and well beyond it. It’s really getting old now.
1C36038B-7C9D-4ACE-8531-558D5D391094.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue the Milan’s, Spurs and Arsenal become more competitive to the big clubs in this environment. Assuming the cash is split evenly amongst the 15 core members, suddenly the wage splits might consolidate.

For instance maybe Man City average wage goes from 200k per week (top earner on 500k pw) to 400k per week with a top earner making $1m a week (I’m just making these figures up as an example)

Spurs on the other hand can lift there average wage bill from 100k per week (top earner on 250k) to 300k (with the top earner on $800-900k). Suddenly your compressing the wages at the top and giving the teams without the financial clout of the mega clubs a shot at the premium talent that always ends up at the same clubs.

Of course that totally screws those not involved, but that’s the way of the world anyway currently at the top of the transfer market
City will still have more money than Spurs to spend. Manchester United will still generate more revenue than Arsenal. The pecking order doesn’t change, it’s just that some of the teams that were at the top end of a pyramid are now in the middle to lower end of a flat structure. The benefit for them is their place in that structure is permanent.

Easy to say that until you actually have to watch division 4 football.
I've attended and watched live streams for tier 7 football
Not too much worse than A-League

Unless we are talking hundreds of million dollars a year difference in each finishing position then I wouldn’t think so. The biggest clubs are still going to be the biggest clubs. The Italian clubs who joined aren’t going to suddenly become as big financially or globally as the big Spanish or English clubs. The same goes for whoever else is added.

The big clubs will now feed off mid and lower table super league teams instead of domestic ones. The others who signed up are happy with that as long as the money is right.

I think buying from other ESL clubs will be banned so they’re still gonna pick off domestic teams.

Instead of wasting away in league that’s dying the Italian clubs will be in a league that gives them a more level playing field against the rest of the top European clubs.

There’s also what happens to ffp to be considered as well.

Cause it was your team.

I have doubts neutrals are going to enjoy harrogate town v barrow to the extent the above guy reckons
I used to be a big follower of the premier league (died when Optus Sports took the rights)
And I'd be the one who would go

'I think Hull vs Newcastle will be a more entertaining game than Everton vs Manchester United, so I'll watch them instead' - Even if it were in SD instead of the HD of the main game. I'd watch on what I predict to be the more entertaining game. Not on what the tv networks shove down my face.

I do the same with the NFL
Ill watch Jacksonville vs Cincinnati due to them being evenly matched over a Dallas vs New England game which will be shoved down my throat due to being 2 of the biggest teams in America with the highest support.

I used to be a big follower of the premier league (died when Optus Sports took the rights)
And I'd be the one who would go

'I think Hull vs Newcastle will be a more entertaining game than Everton vs Manchester United, so I'll watch them instead' - Even if it were in SD instead of the HD of the main game. I'd watch on what I predict to be the more entertaining game. Not on what the tv networks shove down my face.

I do the same with the NFL
Ill watch Jacksonville vs Cincinnati due to them being evenly matched over a Dallas vs New England game which will be shoved down my throat due to being 2 of the biggest teams in America with the highest support.
I'd say that you would be in the minority though. People want to watch the best players. Otherwise why not watch an even game in the Suriname Eerste Divisie?

perez claiming that 16-24 year olds arent interested is just a bald faced lie. but this whole thing is built off lies
His whole football will cease to exist without extra money is hilarious. Maybe if he didn't spent billions on players they'd have a bit more cash. Lower down teams seem to be doing ok.

Yes, but you are a casual international fan. You are the marketed audience.

The public backlash in the UK is so bad, they will have shocking crowds to begin with. It’s not going to be a good TV spectacle.

It’s interesting, the dice have already been cast. Even if this falls over in the next few weeks, the top 4 aa it stands wil be stripped of their CL positions, revenue is going to flow into the upper mid table sides. If they come back, the sanctions will be huge.

There’s a fair chance they have already irreparably financially strengthened the Everton, West Ham, Leeds, Leicester’s...
The bulk of Premier League money comes from international TV rights mainly due to the top 6 teams.

The revenue won’t be anywhere near the level of what it was for the mid-tier premier league clubs to share.

Back