Remove this Banner Ad

earthquake

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
teams playing Carlton
Steve Johnson has been offered 2 weeeks for a " hip and shoulder " bump on Hanley .
Hanley was injured AFTER his head hit the ground NOT before.
It could be your player in your side being rubbed out for NOTHING .
In all fairness the players should strike if Johnson is suspended for doing NOTHING wrong.
The MRP and the AFL commission have LOST the plot re the rules of the game and how it is supposed to be played.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-06-23/hanley-cops-big-hit

look at the views at about 12 sec and the 20 sec time .

Easily worth 2 under the current rules. If he had a better record it'd be just one.
The OP is correct & the current rules are ruining our game. That bump wasn't even worth a free kick let alone a suspension.
Hodge's 2 incidents were looked at last week & he got off & rightly so. The same sense should have been applied here but unfortunately the whole MRP situation is a raffle from one week to another. It needs to be overhauled big time for next year.

Made contact to the head with a bump when he could have tackled.

Easiest decision for the MRP this year.
Um where in the footage is there definate head contact? If there is head contact then it is from johnsons back on the follow through not from johnsons shoulder which hits hanleys shoulder... Even so incidental head contact is deemed ok under the rules and has got the likes of hodge, jolly and l thomas off... Obsurd decision, they have guessed off the available footage

Um where in the footage is there definate head contact? If there is head contact then it is from johnsons back on the follow through not from johnsons shoulder which hits hanleys shoulder... Even so incidental head contact is deemed ok under the rules and has got the likes of hodge, jolly and l thomas off... Obsurd decision, they have guessed off the available footage

That's not what got Hodge off - Hodge got off because he was trying to avoid contact with his own player.

Thomas got off because it was a head clash.

Your argument would set a dangerous precedent that it's okay to make head contact as long as it's on the follow through and not with the initial shoulder. We've been told for years now if a player risks a bump and makes head contact, they're in strife.

Both of Ziebell's suspensions were far worse than this one. Hanley had the ball. Stevie J wasn't trying to win the ball. He could have tackled him. He made contact to Hanley's head. Two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the tape.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-06-23/hanley-cops-big-hit

Stop it at twelve seconds, and see how Stevie J is on his right toe, with the left foot completely going up ... he is rising with the shot, rather than Karmichael Hunt-style blocking down.

Hanley isnt particularly ducking, amd doesnt really have a knee bend, so stopping the tape again at 12s, you can see how Stevie J rising up has put Hanley's head at his shoulder height.

He's goneski, and rightly so - if you are going to do a shoulder charge, or a hip and shoulder, keep your weight down.

Probably the most straight forward decision they'll make all year. Shoulder to the head, which rocked back immediately. Sure he may have done some more damage when he hit the ground, but the cause was the original hit.
See my post above... If sj hit him in the head with his shoulder hanley would have been stretchered off, knocked out, the pace johnson was travelling into the contest gaurantees this... Regardless read the l thomas verdict, if head contact is made it is via johnnos back on follow through not the shoulder, therefore it can be deemed `unforseen circumstances` as johnson remained low whilst bumping

Not sure what footage you guys are looking at but the second camera angle shows pretty clear contact to the head to me. No doubt in my mind under the current rules it's a reportable offence.

Point taken regarding consistency though and the general enforcement of the rules.

Looks pretty clear that he hit the head to me. Soon as I saw the replay after the incident I thought two weeks. Went the bump and got the head unfortunately.

The umpires should go on strike too. The field umpire correctly ruled it a fair bump and didn't give a free kick. As earthquake says, it was shoulder to shoulder and Hanley hit his head on the ground.

If the AFL want to 'protect the head' to this extent they also need to ban tackles and speccies.

sorry but f.uck him. the bump is dead. how many have already gone before him?

head contact = gone

change the rule next year? sure. but player strike is LOL-worthy

Exactly. The same rules applies to everyone and a lot of teams have been screwed by the MRP this year. The game is getting soft and they should sack everyone involved with the MRP but Stevie J got what he deserved.

Silly that that is 2 weeks, while Embley's "double knees in the chest followed by a hand to the face smacking opponent's head into the ground" is just 1 week. Of course, I am waiting for the 'typical Freo fan' response to this, but from where I sit on my couch (;)), Embley's was worse than SJ's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back