Hot Topic "Exodus" Isn't Just A Bob Marley Album

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Three rounds from the end of the season, bottom of the ladder with little hope of changing that position & no senior coach has been appointed yet.

Tom Bell has called for a return to QLD, Lachie Henderson wants out for money & fame, Chris Yarran is talking to clubs behind the scenes & apparently Mathew Kreuzer is fielding offers from a number of clubs.

We appear to be experiencing something of a player "exodus".

The question is, why are these players wanting to leave ??

What has the club done to bring it to this ??

Is it a a cumulative result of very poor player management over a long period of time ??

Are there others planning to jump ship too but are waiting for the right time to say so ??

Is our club so 'on the nose' that no-one wants to come here ??

What needs to happen administratively to turn this around before it becomes a calamity ??

Very worrying times ahead for us methinks !!

I too will be puzzled when these players are performing well again. My primary thinking will be, what was it that stopped them playing and why did they have to leave to resolve their issues? Surely it's more than a new environment required and again, if so, what the * was the original problem?

I too will be puzzled when these players are performing well again. My primary thinking will be, what was it that stopped them playing and why did they have to leave to resolve their issues? Surely it's more than a new environment required and again, if so, what the **** was the original problem?

Completely agree.

My niggling concern is that there are bigger unknown issues behind the scenes.

But your questions are the right ones.

Just what has gone on that these players want to leave - and is it still going on? And how to do we ensure it is fixed?

And just what, if anything, does playing for Carlton mean to prospective AFL footballers any more?

I think people need to also consider that maybe there is no smoking gun in regard to the players being unhappy with the club per say, but are after some success & with us in a rebuild phase not seeing that eventuating in a real hurry.

I believe SOS has indicated a 66 game rebuild, so players may not want to take the chance of waiting & this not occurring, others might just want success now.

I think people need to also consider that maybe there is no smoking gun in regard to the players being unhappy with the club per say, but are after some success & with us in a rebuild phase not seeing that eventuating in a real hurry.

I believe SOS has indicated a 66 game rebuild, so players may not want to take the chance of waiting & this not occurring, others might just want success now.

Yeah, the players would have a fair idea of what the next few seasons will bring, some want to stick it out and others want to explore other options. Short time in the game, so fair enough really.

This thread will just end up being another attack on our culture, our board, Trigg, SOS and the Carlton way of doing things.

Bell has a valid reason for wanting to go. His Dad is not well and he is a Qld boy.

Yarran and Henderson are the main two.

We built from 2008 and made finals, we sacked Ratts to win a flag and sunk to the bottom of the ladder and now have to rebuild again, possibly taking 5 years to get back to finals.

Naturally players around that 25 year old age and above are worried about success and lacking the heart to go back through that rebuilding process.

You will hear how we don't make some players feel loved. The fact we make others feel loved is interesting however. Why? What standards are they meeting that others aren't?

Is it the board coming down to talk to players and making them feel bad? Are the board putting pressure on staff below to make players feel uncomfortable? Or is it simply a case of players being let know if they aren't meeting expectations?

Other clubs have had these problems. The Dogs cleansing last year has been the making of them. I don't think they had powerbrokers agitating.

I realise we will keep hearing about powerbrokers and entitled board members until they are gone, but for once I'd like to recognise that sometimes players just want to further their own interests.

Hendo said he was unhappy and he wanted success. He acknowledged his form had been down. If he felt happier, he still would not have got that success he wanted.

The answer to everyone's ponderings about what is happening is:

"we have been a s**t Club for a long time"

Some have been onto this for a long time , but dreamers dominate forums like this(and fair enough too) and our shitness was denied for too long.

In case people haven't been paying attention, a massive broom has cleaned CFC out. From Head Office to Top End Playing List.

Some here will wallow around in the past, some will again be ahead of the pack, not wallow in the past, and give the new breed a chance.

If/when they demonstrably fail, then they will face judgement too. But for now, for mine, signs are looking quite/relatively positive that things are finally being done the right way.

Whether it was their fault or not, this playing list needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

That looks to be happening. And i look forward to us hitting the draft hard for the next 3 years, and drafting a quantity of young blokes/players to build a competitive, consistent, competing list around.

Now, has anyone heard any whispers around what we are doing re development coaches and systems?

This thread will just end up being another attack on our culture, our board, Trigg, SOS and the Carlton way of doing things.

Bell has a valid reason for wanting to go. His Dad is not well and he is a Qld boy.

Yarran and Henderson are the main two.

We built from 2008 and made finals, we sacked Ratts to win a flag and sunk to the bottom of the ladder and now have to rebuild again, possibly taking 5 years to get back to finals.

Naturally players around that 25 year old age and above are worried about success and lacking the heart to go back through that rebuilding process.

You will hear how we don't make some players feel loved. The fact we make others feel loved is interesting however. Why? What standards are they meeting that others aren't?

Is it the board coming down to talk to players and making them feel bad? Are the board putting pressure on staff below to make players feel uncomfortable? Or is it simply a case of players being let know if they aren't meeting expectations?

Other clubs have had these problems. The Dogs cleansing last year has been the making of them. I don't think they had powerbrokers agitating.

I realise we will keep hearing about powerbrokers and entitled board members until they are gone, but for once I'd like to recognise that sometimes players just want to further their own interests.

Hendo said he was unhappy and he wanted success. He acknowledged his form had been down. If he felt happier, he still would not have got that success he wanted.
Too much sense and realism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Kreuzer was desperate to stay?

It's been known for a while Yarran and Henderson wanted out it is not a new thing.

If Bell has requested a trade at least he has applied himself considering.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Buckley are as determined to stay as the aforementioned leaving.....but clearly the club is too s**t for that to be true right?

Happened to Brisbane, St kilda, Western bulldogs and now us. Its the new environment of free agency and can end up a win for player and club in the long run. Hasn't hurt the bulldogs.

Didnt hurt the Bulldogs because they nailed their drafting.
We'd be 3 years behind them in drafting and 2 years behind the Saints

In some ways I feel more positive than usual, in regards to the club and I agree with TerryWallet above.

I feel like it's the "dip" we need to experience in order to benefit long term. If we have players not in it for the long run, fine, go. Half-hearted efforts and lack of commitment 100% of the time will not help us build and we can hopefully hit the draft with plenty of picks (and hopefully nail them...).

We need to convince players that the club is totally on the same page from Board to boot studder and totally focused on success in the next 5 years.

The most essential part of the equation is a Senior Coach.

If I was a player the coach would be the most important factor on whether I wanted to stay or leave or join the club. $$$ are nice but the most important rule I have when it comes to the work place is don't work for an a**ehole or someone you do not trust.

Andrew Walker requested a trade ......... (and that worked out pretty well until he got injured)

Last edited:
Yarran and Henderson are the only confirmed trades really.
Bell is looking more likely by the day.

Menzel and Kruezer are just BF conjecture at the moment.

Hardly and exodus imo.

A cleanout could very well be exactly what we need. FROM THE TOP DOWN!

I don't know if I'm the only one that's noticed, but it seems like it's been years since the Carlton players really played with fun and unity. Even with Ratts at the helm, they seemed to lack a little...harmony?

• Is the CFC a fun work environment?
  • Is it a level playing field?
  • Is everyone on the same page?
  • Do we have clearly defined goals? And do we have clearly defined pathways and markers along the way to reach these goals?
  • Does the Board, or certain Board members exert an undue and disruptive influence among the playing group and general staff?
Really, so many questions. As a club, we really need to set an agenda, get all players, staff, supporters and sponsors on board, and work towards a common goal. Most importantly, the club needs to be a supportive, enthusiastic, fun, disciplined environment with pathways that lead to sustained individual and group success. As soon as a new player - be it a new draftee or an established traded player - enters the club, they should know from day 1 what we are working towards and how to get there.

I reckon players wanting a trade have been tapped on the shoulder one way or another.

The Club is making moves to bring itself into the 21st century - changing rules and lifting standards and expectations accordingly. Not everyone gets on board with change - but it is a fact that in times of organisational change- the general order becomes fit in or **** off.

An inevitable part of change is the fact that some favourites are better placed elsewhere - unavoidable. Sad but true. Al part of the cost of failure.

Of course the armchair naysayers will command time an oxygen and even make great sounding arguments and have very convincing looking pointy fingers dangling and pointing all over the place... it will take time to see results.

Carlton has failed it needs a reboot- and that is what is happening.

Not sure that we should read having some desirable trade targets as an exodus. At least we are managing in such a way that we might see some value for these guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back