Science/Environment Explaining evolution and natural selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yes, other animals have larger brains than us too....But how does our diet or social habits cause the significant change in encephalitic morphology?
Here is a yale article, human brains were NOT unique:

http://medicine.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=7705

TKF: There’s great excitement about ancient DNA, both among the scientific community and the general public. We saw the reference genome for Neanderthal published in January, and the genome of another extinct hominin, a “Denisovan,” published late last fall. What can we learn about the brain’s evolution from these human ancestors?

NOONAN: One of the most surprising things that came out of these studies is what a small number of actual differences there are between a Neanderthal genome or Denisovan genome and a modern human’s. The number of protein-coding changes is something like 84 in the entire genome. They're basically human. So I'm not sure exactly what they're going to tell us about brain evolution because, overall, I suspect the Neanderthal brain was pretty similar to ours.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...why-youre-smarter-than-a-neanderthal-1885827/

The researchers speculate that this could be because they evolved exclusively in Europe, which is of higher latitude (and thus has poorer light conditions) than Africa, where H. sapiens evolved.
After correcting for these differences, the research team found that the amount of brain volume left over for other tasks—in other words, the mental capacity not devoted to seeing the world or moving the body—was significantly smaller for Neanderthals than for ancient H. sapiens. Although the average raw brain volumes of the two groups studied were practically identical (1473.84 cubic centimeters for humans versus 1473.46 for Neanderthals), the average “corrected” Neanderthal brain volume was just 1133.98 cubic centimeters, compared to 1332.41 for the humans.

All assumptions based on their sculls T.P.

Both our sculls & brains have significant morphological differences.... Not least of which include the temporal lobes, cerebellum & frontal cortex.

skulls.jpg

Also, Africans apparently don't have any Neanderthal DNA....Odd that.

All assumptions based on their sculls T.P.

Both our sculls & brains have significant morphological differences.... Not least of which include the temporal lobes, cerebellum & frontal cortex.

skulls.jpg

How is it an assumption?? did you even read the article? its based on DNA endocing of protein sequences, out of a a few million squences , the difference between neanderthals and humans are 84!! geez, pure guesswork hey?
Also, Africans apparently don't have any Neanderthal DNA....Odd that.

I mentioned that earlier in this thread that caucasians have upto 20% of neanderthal DNA, maybe that might explain the higher IQ compared to sub saharan africans

How is it an assumption?? did you even read the article? its based on DNA encoding of protein sequences, out of a a few million sequences , the difference between neanderthals and humans are 84!! geez, pure guesswork hey?

No Neanderthal brains to study mate...Those skull morphology differences say it all.

One's human, the other isn't.

No Neanderthal brains to study mate...Those skull morphology differences say it all.

One's human, the other isn't.

They were basically human, i am not saying it , experts are. No guesswork. You are not listening, their genome is almost exactly similar to ours! which points to the fact that their function-ability were very similar to ours.. there is one one key difference is one single gene that seperates our brain to neanderthals.

They were basically human, i am not saying it , experts are. No guesswork. You are not listening, their genome is almost exactly similar to ours! which points to the fact that their function-ability were very similar to ours.. there is one one key difference is one single gene that seperates our brain to neanderthals.

No, I am listening & I've viewed & read your articles....They are not saying they are human T.P....Their saying they are very close from a DNA perspective alone....You're stumbling into hyperbole here.

Once again, the eyes have it....They are guessing re the Neanderthal brain, as they don't have any.

No, I am listening & I've viewed & read your articles....They are not saying they are human T.P....Their saying they are very close from a DNA perspective alone....You're stumbling into hyperbole here.

Once again, the eyes have it....They are guessing re the Neanderthal brain, as they don't have any.

I never suggested they are humans duh, H.N are a different specie but their brain is basically almost the same as humans.. The article i pasted above said that Neanderthals did carry the gene that makes our brain "human" but their functionability was suppressed for some reason. There is where i believe environments, social interaction played their part.

If nothing is going to change your mind cause you have it coded in your brain its guesswork, then i will leave it at that.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(16)30661-3
While the braincase of adult Neanderthals had a similar volume to that of modern humans from the same period, differences in endocranial shape suggest that brain morphology differed between modern humans and Neanderthals. When and how these differences arose during evolution and development is a topic of ongoing research, with potential implications for species-specific differences in brain and cognitive development, and in life history [1,2] . Earlier research suggested that Neanderthals followed an ancestral mode of brain development, similar to that of our closest living relatives, the chimpanzees [2–4] . Modern humans, by contrast, were suggested to follow a uniquely derived mode of brain development just after birth, giving rise to the characteristically globular shape of the adult human brain case [2,4,5] . Here, we re-examine this hypothesis using an extended sample of Neanderthal infants. We document endocranial development during the decisive first two years of postnatal life. The new data indicate that Neanderthals followed largely similar modes of endocranial development to modern humans. These findings challenge the notion that human brain and cognitive development after birth is uniquely derived [2,4] .

I never suggested they are humans duh, H.N are a different specie but their brain is basically almost the same as humans.. The article i pasted above said that Neanderthals did carry the gene that makes our brain "human" but their function-ability was suppressed for some reason. There is where i believe environments, social interaction played their part.

That scull difference alone, suggests to me they are closer to monkeys than humans T.P.

skulls.jpg

People can make their own judgement calls on it.

That scull difference alone, suggests to me they are closer to monkeys than humans T.P.

skulls.jpg

People can make their own judgement calls on it.

This is not philosophy, there is no judgement calls, DNA and genetic evidences suggests they were ALMOST humans! They are a human sub-specie with 99.5% of human functionability! what judgement calls? this is genetics, they are classified as "Homo" and not Animilia which monkeys are. I dont know why i bother seriously.

This is not philosophy, there is no judgement calls, DNA and genetic evidences suggests they were ALMOST humans! They are a human sub-specie with 99.5% of human functionability! what judgement calls? this is genetics, they are classified as "Homo" and not Animilia which monkeys are. I dont know why i bother seriously.

LOL, Lets see now....Different frontal lobes, different temporal lobes, Different Cerebellum & frontal cortex....Yeah, they look 99.5% compatible too T.P.:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And i pasted several articles which suggested human brains were not unique. Carry on with your pseudo science

Unfortunately, you get carried away both with yourself & by the cheer-leading frat....Look at those sculls mate, you are being ridiculous.

Unfortunately, you get carried away both with yourself & by the cheer-leading frat....Look at those sculls mate, you are being ridiculous.

Yes cause those skulls suggest that neanderthals were close to monkeys than humans... it does not. Show me one scientist with peer review article claiming that? i seee the skulls being very close to humans. Human frontal cortex is not unique but was bigger, since H.S evolved in Africa where bright light didnt need the extra visual processing compared to H.N who evolved in Europe where light was dim. How is it unique?

By calculating how much brain space was needed for other tasks, the team concluded that Neanderthals had relatively less space for the frontal lobe, a brain region that controls social thinking and cultural transmission.

http://www.livescience.com/27850-social-brain-beat-neanderthal-vision.html

Its not unique, it just evolved different, human brain is NOT unique.

Last edited:
Heres something for you to read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo

This will educate you about genus and how neanderthals dont belong to the "animilia" genus. Dear lord now P35 is claiming neanderthals were closer to monkeys than humans, do you even know what you are talking about? do you even know how ridiculous you sound, considering every since biologist out there class neanderthals and as a human sub-specie? FMD :D

Heres something for you to read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo

This will educate you about genus and how neanderthals dont belong to the "animilia" genus. Dear lord now P35 is claiming neanderthals were closer to monkeys than humans, do you even know what you are talking about? do you even know how ridiculous you sound, considering every since biologist out there class neanderthals and as a human sub-specie? FMD :D

Their sculls look Simian to me.....You can rant & rave & play to the gallery all you like, but the eyes still have it T.P.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back