Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironically Liam Livingstone started off as a bit of a no name English import for the Scorchers, and it was his Big Bash performances that got him into the England side and IPL to the point where he is now a high profile recruit.
Livingstone had already played for England in 2017 and then the PSL, IPL, and Mzansi Super League in 2019 before playing for the Scorchers in 2019/20.

Great final.
Great tournament.
The people who bag the BBL are such try hards.
Cricket comes in so many formats, and yes there are Test matches.
But there are also ODIs (once frowned upon).
There’s 4 and 3 day first class games.
There’s grade cricket.
There’s numpties playing with two piece balls on carpet calling that cricket.
There’s beach cricket, backyard cricket, Christmas Day cricket.
A Cricket fan loves cricket. It’s unconditional.
Being a try hard also seems unconditional unfortunately.

It also seems that outside of India, there aren't too many global cricket stars these days. Gone are the days of the box office West Indies stars like Gayle, Pollard, Russell, Bravo that would draw kids into games to watch.

Which current international players have that level of stardom to them. Ben Stokes maybe ? Closest we had this BBL was Quinton De Kock and he didn't have much of an impact.

The saturation of t20 cricket leagues nowadays has probably played a pretty big part in diminishing the “star” power a lot of the overseas players have here now too.

In 2005 Australia played against a World XI side packed with absolute box office stars - Tendulkar, Lara, Gayle, Flintoff, Murali, Sehwag, Kallis, Afridi, KP, Sanga and Akhtar etc just to name a few. Every single one of those blokes would have drawn a crowd in the BBL if it was around at the time.

I don’t think the likes of Harry Brook, Joe Root, QDK, Dawid Malan, Colin Munro and Trent Boult (who have all played in the BBL in the past couple of years) have had much impact on the interest levels one way or the other. These days it feels like it’s only the Aussies and the big time Indian players (and possibly Stokes) that have that same star power.

Last edited:

Great final.
Great tournament.
The people who bag the BBL are such try hards.
Cricket comes in so many formats, and yes there are Test matches.
But there are also ODIs (once frowned upon).
There’s 4 and 3 day first class games.
There’s grade cricket.
There’s numpties playing with two piece balls on carpet calling that cricket.
There’s beach cricket, backyard cricket, Christmas Day cricket.
A Cricket fan loves cricket. It’s unconditional.
Being a try hard also seems unconditional unfortunately.
Honestly you're the biggest try hard of them all. Any insult and you act like a petulant child.

T20 doesn't touch the soul like Test cricket does. Nobody will ever get misty eyed recalling a T20 game.
The Scorchers winning last years BBL was a pretty big deal in Perth.
I went to the Supermarket the next day and there were people everywhere in Scorchers gear.
Maybe you’re confusing yourself, your gender, and your age demographic, from the general population of the nobodies you curse.

I went to the Supermarket the next day and there were people everywhere in Scorchers gear.
Maybe you’re confusing yourself, your gender, and your age demographic, from the general population of the nobodies you curse.
I've been to a lot of cricket and my experience (including seeing a Strikers title) is that very little of T20 is memorable and most of the memorable moments are exceptional individual performances rather than results. I still enjoy the game well enough and I'm not cursing anyone, they're just my observations.

I've been to a lot of cricket and my experience (including seeing a Strikers title) is that very little of T20 is memorable and most of the memorable moments are exceptional individual performances rather than results. I still enjoy the game well enough and I'm not cursing anyone, they're just my observations.
They are your observations though.
Attendances and TV ratings suggest the nobodies are actually somebodies.

T20 doesn't touch the soul like Test cricket does. Nobody will ever get misty eyed recalling a T20 game.

I don't know, there have been a few Strikers wins at AO that have been unforgettable.

I think that's sport now a days. People get caught up in the Olympics and quickly forget medallist.

Last edited:
They are your observations though.
Attendances and TV ratings suggest the nobodies are actually somebodies.
I think you're trying to start an argument that isn't there. T20 has a hugely important role in attracting young people to the game and I suspect it will be an important tool in connecting Australian cricket to the Indian diaspora, that's hardly implying I think fans are nobodies.

Good tournament all around that probably exceeded expectations. Obviously some work to do in a few States but hard to find a sporting comp that doesn't have a few teams that need help.

It's not ideal that everyone doesn't play each other twice but we live with it in the AFL so we have to accept it.

I think they need to be prepared to put the BBL up against Test Matches. The five day break for the Perh test stopped any momentum. Through nessecity, Tennis Australia has multiple events up against each other and it seems to work.

I still find the argument of shrinking the comp bit short sighted. Cricket needs the Big Bash for content during January, International Cricket doesn't cut it so I think it was the perfect end date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good tournament all around that probably exceeded expectations. Obviously some work to do in a few States but hard to find a sporting comp that doesn't have a few teams that need help.

It's not ideal that everyone doesn't play each other twice but we live with it in the AFL so we have to accept it.

I think they need to be prepared to put the BBL up against Test Matches. The five day break for the Perh test stopped any momentum. Through nessecity, Tennis Australia has multiple events up against each other and it seems to work.

I still find the argument of shrinking the comp bit short sighted. Cricket needs the Big Bash for content during January, International Cricket doesn't cut it so I think it was the perfect end date.
The non results at the beginning curtailed momentum to begin with as well.

Didnt watch a minute of BBL this season. Down from every minute of every game for a fair few years. When you go to Google and type BBL it used to come up with the draw, results and live scores. But now it doesn't show up at all. Didn't even know the final was on. What's was the crowd like? Was It true there was practically an empty stadium when they played at Metricon?

Didnt watch a minute of BBL this season. Down from every minute of every game for a fair few years. When you go to Google and type BBL it used to come up with the draw, results and live scores. But now it doesn't show up at all. Didn't even know the final was on. What's was the crowd like? Was It true there was practically an empty stadium when they played at Metricon?
It was a sell out for the final. 43k at the SCG. The first final at Metricon was also a sell out but the second final on Monday had 6k.

no-one… cannot one express an honest opinion?
just came across a bit smug thats all.

I get that not everyone is going to be into T20 cricket equally, but to come in here the day after the tournament is over with the attitude of "well thank god thats over, now the real cricket can resume" is incredibly elitist and smug.

That's a WA thing not a BBL thing. Any WA team is well supported by WA.

Correct, there were 50,000 plus there that night that will never forget an 18-year-old coming in when all was lost and leading his team to victory. If Cooper Connolly goes on to become an international cricketer, this will be mentioned as nauseum. It could be the making of a star. And something that inspired every kid there.

There's exciting and boring in every format.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back