Roast Fans getting Warnings and Booted for Being too Loud

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether this was the same guy?

Four police came to speak to the guy in front of me M22 Row HH (2nd quarter), I was really surprised to see the police. The guy was an avid Pie supporter but apart from being enthusiastic and cheering loudly couldn't understand why the police were there. He didn't use bad language, didn't rubbish the umpires nor opposition, just cheering the team and in fact was quite funny. A minute into the first quarter we received a free kick (kick out from the Melb point) and he yelled out, 'about time you paid a free kick, they have been doing that all day'. He had nicknames for every player, Czech Republic for Mihocek, Mr Good looking for Mayne, Socks for Phillips (have no idea why) and so on.

All of us near him questioned the police why they were there as we didn't see/hear any anti-social behaviour but they ignored us and just asked him to tone it down. I was really annoyed as they were also obstructing the game so I told one of them to crouch down as I couldn't see the game.

You have to sit there in Silence now I think

This is ludicrous, anti-social behaviour is not loud and active barracking that hasn’t strayed into foul language, personal abuse or vilification. What a waste of police and security staff’s time which should be better spent responding to drunken, aggressive or offensive behaviour. What is it with salty, sooky Melbourne supporters? Football is not the theatre where only polite applause is acceptable.

Anytime someone sends a message to the anti social number that’s plastered all over the scoreboard, it needs to be investigated by security. Most of the time it’s a “there’s a complaint about foul language from aisle **, row **, please investigate” and they will send a roving crew to have a look, and if they see an issue will tell the person to calm down a bit.

Now whether that’s because of a legit complaint or an opposition supporter being salty, you don’t know until you scan the scene and see it for yourself. A lot of times, it is either salty supporters or people playing pranks as nothing comes out of it, but they all need to be looked at.

The only time that police really get involved would be if there was violence, patrons weren’t listening to security, or patrons were caught drinking alcohol that they brought from outside.

Further to what I saw, a woman came up to him at half time and asked whether he will be willing to talk to the Sun newspaper so will be interesting to see if it is reported in the media.

Now you can see why I have Melbourne as my most disliked team, their supporters are sooks.

They where just waiting to go to the Snow after the Game

People need to toughen up. There's a huge amount of people who can't handle their team LOSING and God forbid the opposition supporters support their team as loud as they want. I mean real sore losers. My partner had someone ask him for a bit of quiet time at the football, he told her to go home and watch it on tv if she wants quiet time. He was just passionately supporting his team at the footy and that person's team was getting smashed.

People have been calling security because they just cannot handle losing for a while now and it's a joke. Fair enough no one needs to swear or say racist things and if they do they should be called out straight away, but for getting excited about your team and having a bit of harmless banter for fun, isn't that what footy is all about??

It's all getting beyond a joke.

There is a Lot of Swearing at the Footy and you should Expect it at the Footy as long as you don't go on and on with it

I'm glad I sit in N section of the Ponny, other than ANZAC day, I haven't seen too many opposition supports all year.

That is why I moved my Home Game Tickets from the Great Southern Stand to the Ponsford Stand as I always had lot of Opposition Fans around me

Anytime someone sends a message to the anti social number that’s plastered all over the scoreboard, it needs to be investigated by security. Most of the time it’s a “there’s a complaint about foul language from aisle **, row **, please investigate” and they will send a roving crew to have a look, and if they see an issue will tell the person to calm down a bit.

Now whether that’s because of a legit complaint or an opposition supporter being salty, you don’t know until you scan the scene and see it for yourself. A lot of times, it is either salty supporters or people playing pranks as nothing comes out of it, but they all need to be looked at.

The only time that police really get involved would be if there was violence, patrons weren’t listening to security, or patrons were caught drinking alcohol that they brought from outside.
That's what I didn't get, they weren't security, it was four police.

If that guy was ejected out of the ground, I was seriously thinking of finding the AFL office and registering a complaint.

I am very quiet at the football (too busy looking at who is on the bench and seeing how Mayne is going:), who is on who, who is free etc) and only clap or get out my seat at a really good mark, a goal to goal or really good play and seriously didn't see anything wrong with the way he was barracking.

Characters like him make the day more enjoyable.

Good move. You should do the same with your away seat as well.

My Away seats are on Level 3 of the Ponsford Stand and I am in Different Seat this year but was up there for away games as well last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that guy was ejected out of the ground, I was seriously thinking of finding the AFL office and registering a complaint.

I am very quiet at the football (too busy looking at who is on the bench and seeing how Mayne is going:), who is on who, who is free etc) and only clap or get out my seat at a really good mark, a goal to goal or really good play and seriously didn't see anything wrong with the way he was barracking.

That doesn’t make sense. Unless the MCG have different protocols to Marvel.

You might like sitting near me then Maggie5 ;)

That doesn’t make sense. Unless the MCG have different protocols to Marvel.
I think it is like 76woodenspooners said maybe an over reaction to the Carlton game.

There were police everywhere and even a of divy van (empty) outside gate 6.

You might like sitting near me then Maggie5 ;)
As much as I like you Dave, don't think I would enjoy sitting next to you especially if we were losing, we might end up fighting and both be thrown out.:D

As much as I like you Dave, don't think I would enjoy sitting next to you especially if we were losing, we might end up fighting and both be thrown out.:D

That be a Sight with us having a Fighto_O

I've noticed there's been a recent crackdown on crowd behaviour. Is this being directed by the AFL or the stadium management themselves?

First we hear that a Richmond cheersquad member calls an umpire a "green maggot", which resulted in him being subjected to a three game ban from attendance. Next, we hear a Carlton supporter calling umpire Matt Nicholls a "bald-headed flog" at half time on Saturday which Nicholls overheard and directed security to have the supporter removed from the stadium.

I don't know whether this is a reaction to the recent documentary about Adam Goodes which has essentially thrown much of the general footballing crowd under the bus by calling them "racists" for booing him a few years back or whether the AFL and/or stadium management are cracking down on fan behaviour in general unrelated to this documentary.

Whatever it is, this trend of policing crowd behaviour which is already tame compared to what supporters used to hear and see decades ago is a disturbing new trend that is emerging.

Last edited:
Ok, if true, the kicking someone out who is too loud is a bit too far.

However, umpire abuse is the number one reason umpires in lower ranks choose to leave the job. It's something that needs to change. Seems bizarre that bullying in the normal world is not tolerated, yet fans seem to think it's ok when hurled at someone trying to do their job, like with Nicholls? Criticizing someone's umpiring is OK, but bullying their appearance is off limits IMO, and which is why I'm OK with that fan being kicked out on Saturday.

The answer is .....Don't turn up.
Stop the footy nazis in their tracks.
Just don't go to the game.

If the Pies v Dogs games has 10,000 or less at the game Gillan the dog *er might wake up.

It's our game..that campaigner has no right to it.

Knife the campaigner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back