List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL is not going to let Jnr retire. A deal will be done, and if there's a shortfall from our end of the deal, the AFL will pull the strings to make sure that is made up for. No way the Suns come out of this worse off as far as assets go, no matter what they end up getting from us.
fair.
what you can't put a price on though, and I think what a lot of people fail to examine, is the effect on our culture this will have. if we make a stand here it will go a long way to help shaping our identity.

unless we're getting significant 'game-changer' talent back, I'd prefer to say 'stuff you' to Gary and the AFL.

No, I don't want Ablett. I would much prefer to trade to improve our position in the draft, we need youth rather than washed up veterans. IF he comes for not much, and doesn't significantly reduce our drafting quality or trades with other (younger, more durable and more valuable) trade targets, then meh (as in it won't piss me off or make my day).
I look forward to seeing your day ruined. You should check your clubs recent recruitment history. Every thing points to "all in".

If Ablett retires then Gold Coast doesn't get "nothing" - they earn respect for holding their ground and refusing to cave in to Ablett's unreasonable demands.
Really? You think the club will be respected for being difficult to deal with? Not much good to have that rep (see Essendon) the next time you want a player from somewhere. The club will understand that, it's a tag that takes a while to shake.

Good luck with both the future trades (or retirements), and the 2018 season.

I look forward to seeing your day ruined. You should check your clubs recent recruitment history. Every thing points to "all in".
Why would you look forward to seeing my day ruined? I haven't insulted anyone on here. Just tried to add to the discussion. No need for that sort of stuff.

I don't think my day will be ruined in any case. It's just footy.

You come into our board shouting nonsense about how you don't want Ablett if it costs anything of value. THATS AN INSULT TO OUR CLUB.

Furthermore any other opposition supporters who come here with remarks of
I don't want ablett!
We won't pay more then a 3Rd round pick etc

F@#! Off this deal will not happen for anything less then a 2nd rounder and it will happen Geelong are balls deep in this.

Happy to talk about realistic trade scenarios but if you can't see that GC won't accept anything less then quality for this trade. You should go back to your own board and end every post with GO BATTERS.

Thank you all. Many of the opposition posters have contributed greatly and we appreciate your input. I'm just sick of wasting time with others who are closer to trolling then they realise.

I have no doubt Tony Cochrane will stare Geelong down & call their bluff on this one. They want Ablett back at the Cats a LOT more than they're letting on.
I have to admit, I am fearful that the nostalgia factor is seriously kicking in, but Scott's words in the press conference (starting again, long way off) post-Prelim make me rather optimistic that they won't blow the lot on a 34yo player.

I'm not completely confident, though.

You come into our board shouting nonsense about how you don't want Ablett if it costs anything of value. THATS AN INSULT TO OUR CLUB.

Furthermore any other opposition supporters who come here with remarks of
I don't want ablett!
We won't pay more then a 3Rd round pick etc

F@#! Off this deal will not happen for anything less then a 2nd rounder and it will happen Geelong are balls deep in this.

Happy to talk about realistic trade scenarios but if you can't see that GC won't accept anything less then quality for this trade. You should go back to your own board and end every post with GO BATTERS.

Thank you all. Many of the opposition posters have contributed greatly and we appreciate your input. I'm just sick of wasting time with others who are closer to trolling then they realise.

I agree with this. I just get so frustrated with the Cats supporters who come on OUR board, and tell us that GAJ is not worth anymore than a 3rd round pick, and then we go to their board and see nothing but how great it will be when they have Dangerwood, GAJ, Duncan,the other Selwood, in the middle. The best midfield ever....

Anyway, I've had enough so I'm joining Bodsy in self imposed exile....

No, that's an opinion as I value youth over injury-riddled veterans at the moment. But OK, if the board's too sensitive for different opinions, no problem. Good luck.
Ok you must be lost.
Because on this board were here to talk about how much can gold Coast can squeeze out of Geelong for a bald headed bloke. Not your opinions on Geelongs list strategy.

If Ablett retires then Gold Coast doesn't get "nothing" - they earn respect for holding their ground and refusing to cave in to Ablett's unreasonable demands.

On the other hand if they allow him to walk to the club of his choice (while still under contract) for a pittance they lose a HUGE amount of face and respect in this industry. They're actually much better off taking the hit & letting him retire because it will be on their terms, losing out on say a 3rd round pick isn't going to make much difference to the club's list one way or another anyway.

I have no doubt Tony Cochrane will stare Geelong down & call their bluff on this one. They want Ablett back at the Cats a LOT more than they're letting on.
I believe we had a similar scenario last year with your mob in regards to O'Cockface and it worked out okay for bothsides with Cochrane's pokerface.

We all know what's going to happen here. Gaz will go to Geelong, We might not get Mitch Duncan but we'll hold our ground again to prove a point and then get near on close to what we deserve while getting rid of a locker room distraction (I'm gonna stop short of using the c word) and everyone wins.

Or he can retire and become a priest or some s**t

I have to admit, I am fearful that the nostalgia factor is seriously kicking in, but Scott's words in the press conference (starting again, long way off) post-Prelim make me rather optimistic that they won't blow the lot on a 34yo player.

I'm not completely confident, though.
Chris Scott is just playing the game. Every time Scott was asked about Ablett potential returning to Geelong in a press conference for the past 2 year you could see the table start to rise he was that excited

fair.
what you can't put a price on though, and I think what a lot of people fail to examine, is the effect on our culture this will have. if we make a stand here it will go a long way to help shaping our identity.

unless we're getting significant 'game-changer' talent back, I'd prefer to say 'stuff you' to Gary and the AFL.
I completely agree you cannot appear to just roll over here. Hence the club asking for what it has straight up. Now there is no way Duncan will be on the GC next year, but someone like Cockatoo could well be the guy. Which is why you go high to begin with, you're more likely to get more in the deal for doing that.

Standing your ground worked with O'Meara last year, you guys made off like bandits on that one and so you should have. Different set of circumstances here though.

On this occasion, I think the AFL will allow the Suns to put their foot down before brokering the deal behind the scenes. There is no way the league will allow you to get the wrong end of the pineapple here, and I've got no problem with that at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats fans. Is Cam Guthrie a player that could potentially be attainable?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Not without throwing Tom Lynch the other way!

Nah, in all seriousness, leadership group, established player, at his best a very good footballer - but aside from anything else, I can't think how you'd convince him it was in his best interests to go, given that he's playing in a top-8 Victorian side with his two brothers (Josh turns out for the VFL side)?

If we didn't have to pay $1.2 mil the first 2 years would Dixon still be here? Could we have paid Prestia more?
No. The club wanted Dixon gone no matter what. And it wasn't about money for Dion. He took less money at Richmond then what the Suns offered him in the end, he just wanted to be closer to family (that's for you Mr Bods;))

Yep we'd be happy to see him go think it would improve our club.
But if we're going to get nothing for him might aswell force him into retirement. At least that way he isn't going to get 30+ touches against us next year.

Would need to be a very high draft pick or a quality young player for us to benefit from trading him to Geelong.
Its not a matter of whether he gets 30 touches against the Suns, he needs to move back to his family I expect. Why would you want to 'force him into retirement'. He has served you well and has been a one in a generation player.
He has very little currency as per Mitchell and Lewis last year so you are dreaming if you think he will be traded for a very high draft pick.
Just as I have the right to change my employment situation, so should Ablett. I can understand that clubs have a right to fair compensation when they have put great effort and resources into young players but this should not apply to 33 yr olds.
I love watching Ablett, Dusty, Selwood, Danger, Eddie etc playing regardless of who they play for.

Will be 26 next year 6 years into his footy career been at 3 clubs and only 27 games is he really that good or is it the players around him that make him look good ?

He is really that good. His goal kicking leaves a bit to be desired, and not always the most polished player, but very tough on the inside, a good mark and a huge tank which means he gets it on the outside too.

Sam Menegola should be the start of negotiations. Was pick 66 in 2015

Now averages over 20 touches a game. Hard as nails and would be on a s**t salary. Cats can pay him 2018

Then throw in a 2018 third rd pick and call it even

That's an interesting one. Proven solid player but if we get Ablett and Stringer he'd slip down the order of mid/forwards a bit. Maybe he could be convinced to move for better job security.

I think as good as Ablett is it's slight overs giving up a 26 year old who's clearly best 22 for a 33 year old. But I'd probably do that if clearing Menegola's wage helped us get other targets or keep someone like Motlop.

Gee we are good at making posters from vic clubs hate us considering our smaller number of posters in comparison and including the fact that these talks in no way effect anything other then posters opinions. Yet we still get called irrelevant for pages and pages in a row, which I mean, seems kinda counterintuitive but oh well. So thankyou fellow Suns posters for the good times.

Oh, and bye Gaz. It was fun while it lasted although you kinda douching it up towards the end put a bit of a dampener on it.

Its not a matter of whether he gets 30 touches against the Suns, he needs to move back to his family I expect. Why would you want to 'force him into retirement'. He has served you well and has been a one in a generation player.
He has very little currency as per Mitchell and Lewis last year so you are dreaming if you think he will be traded for a very high draft pick.
Just as I have the right to change my employment situation, so should Ablett. I can understand that clubs have a right to fair compensation when they have put great effort and resources into young players but this should not apply to 33 yr olds.
I love watching Ablett, Dusty, Selwood, Danger, Eddie etc playing regardless of who they play for.
His "family issues" does not benefit the club in any way. It's a business any you don't just give things away for free. If you do...2 things will happen the poor will rock up expecting handouts and shareholders won't invest as thier is no profit. If he is so old we are better off giving him a retirement party.

Ablett who I value at around pick 20-30 and some cash which I dont think the suns really want and 2nd rd pick 2018, Suns should get J Kolo and Thurlow to join Kade all 3 know each other and would be a good fit. If you wanted Menegola late 2nd should get the deal done also.

I am very pleased to see the AFL website articles stating the Suns will be well compensated and that the Cats are keen.

Fits well with the theory the AFL are brokering the trade to ensure he doesn’t retire and that the deal lands the Suns something very tasty

Ablett who I value at around pick 20-30 and some cash which I dont think the suns really want and 2nd rd pick 2018, Suns should get J Kolo and Thurlow to join Kade all 3 know each other and would be a good fit. If you wanted Menegola late 2nd should get the deal done also.
Thanks for the input.
I think all 3 of those players are gettable by the Suns if they can convince them to move. And If that Is the case Geelong would definitely be getting compensated with a 2nd Rd pick.

do we really need Jake? if his brother wasn't here then I don't even think he'd get mentioned.
With Thompsons injury history I think it would be handy to have another tallish defender. Obviously the club is more in need of a midfielder but unless we can get a Duncan, menegola or Guthrie into the club the established midfield stocks are a bit low.

In the end I think with the exception of dangerfield, selwoods and Hawkins I think any Geelong player could be traded if Gc can convince them to move north. Ablett alone might not be enough to convince Geelong but the plethora of picks we have and lack of picks Geelong have plus their desire to bring in stringer, Smith and Ablett. The club would be open to it for the right deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back