Fat Acceptance - Problem or not

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you do? Just avoid the overweight people in your life? Talk behind their back? Or are you calling them out on it to their face?

Me? Generally avoid them.

Aside from bumping this thread, can't remember the last time I had a dig at someone behind their back for being fat.

Well if I see a fatty in the street I'm not going to walk up and say 'hey, you're fat'. Not sure that makes me accepting.

If someone says to me that there should be more size 20 models instead of "unrealistic" Miranda Kerr and Jennifer Hawkins I will argue that no there shouldn't be and there should in fact be fewer size 20 people.

If you work in McDonald's for example and someone overweight comes in and orders a large Big Mac meal, 12 nuggets and a sundae and you just go ahead and serve them are you an 'accepter'? If you do are you intolerant? It's pretty grey.

I'd rather have risk having sex with an in-shape HIV positive girl than a girl with 'body positivity'.

Does that make me a monster, or does it make me a martyr? Who even knows anymore.

You're a hero of the people mate...

What about if you had a boss that was fat, or a mother in law?

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had a fat boss. Legit thinking about it, I really don't think I have.

As for mother in law, I repeat my earlier assertion...

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had a fat boss. Legit thinking about it, I really don't think I have.

As for mother in law, I repeat my earlier assertion...

Ha ha, hearing you there. But seriously, i get what you're saying (I don't agree) but everyone has to come across fatties they need to respect, even answer to at times, just not sure how you'd handle that.

I've recently lost about 28 kgs (went from obese to dad bod essentially) so would you start talking to me now?

Ha ha, hearing you there. But seriously, i get what you're saying (I don't agree) but everyone has to come across fatties they need to respect, even answer to at times, just not sure how you'd handle that.

I've recently lost about 28 kgs (went from obese to dad bod essentially) so would you start talking to me now?

I actually don't avoid fat people (well not really). But I genuinely do find properly obese people a bit... yuck.

I think it's more an attrition thing for me, I struggle to respect the morbidly obese because I find them lazy, and as such I don't tend to keep them around for too long.

Don't get me wrong, far from an Adonis myself. Got the beer paunch going, but I do jog pretty regularly. Another Dad bod over here.

Congrats on the weight loss BTW.

I actually don't avoid fat people (well not really). But I genuinely do find properly obese people a bit... yuck.

I think it's more an attrition thing for me, I struggle to respect the morbidly obese because I find them lazy, and as such I don't tend to keep them around for too long.

Don't get me wrong, far from an Adonis myself. Got the beer paunch going, but I do jog pretty regularly. Another Dad bod over here.

Congrats on the weight loss BTW.

Fair enough, I just think sometimes you'll be in a position for people like I mentioned where you have to deal with peppermint patties, and i'm sure that would be tough for you to manage. You're not the lone ranger there though that's for sure.

It's funny, since dropping the kegs I get treated a lot differently by a lot of people, many don't like fatties. People are definitely a lot happier to sit next to me on a plane ha ha

Oh it's a HUGE problem. Has the unfortunate consequences of shortening the median lifespan of our race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a problem with people being "big" but when it starts to border on very nasty health problems, it makes me feel sad. I don't shame. I'm just sad that they're trashing their "vehicle" of life. They certainly have the right to be fat, but it's like people who have the right to smoke. Just accept the consequences.

People with red hair get grief and they didn't choose to have red hair (unless they died it)
People with freckles get grief and they didn't choose to have freckles (unless they sunbake too much - also freckles are sexy)
People who go bald get grief and they didn't choose to go bald (unless they're Brittany)

People can, in the vast majority of cases, control their weight and yet it's a very taboo subject because people don't want to hurt their feelings.

*Disclaimer: I am a red headed, bald, fat guy with freckles.

Just saw this topic and its probably already been posted by it reminded me of this episode of insight.

One of the clips

Full Episode

I was listening to SEN last night and they had the guy who set up the first PT studio in Melbourne back in the 90s (can't remember his name for the life of me). Everything he said about obesity seemed to make perfect sense--the small number of people effected genetically aside, people make conscious decisions to overeat, to not go to the gym, to sit on the couch etc. In order to change that behaviour, the obese person's thinking needs to change. They need to make the decision that they no longer accept their life for what it is, and start to make incremental changes. They can't try to change for someone else, or because they have a wedding coming up, or because their partner made a comment about their bum. They have to do it for themselves and as a life change, not a temporary measure.

I liken it to the way I was finally able to quit smoking once and for all. I tried patches, gum, tablets and that stupid book, but I'd only last a couple of weeks before I'd start again. Then a boy would tell me he hates girls who smoke, so I'd try to quit again. Or I'd get sick, and I'd quit for the duration of the illness. It wasn't until I made the resolution that I would never ever smoke again that I made the change. I went cold turkey and haven't smoked for five years.

Calling people disgusting, pathetic, fat bastards etc does nothing to help them change their psychology and by extension, their behaviour. It contributes to the cycle of self-loathing, and perpetuates the overeating.

I was listening to SEN last night and they had the guy who set up the first PT studio in Melbourne back in the 90s (can't remember his name for the life of me). Everything he said about obesity seemed to make perfect sense--the small number of people effected genetically aside, people make conscious decisions to overeat, to not go to the gym, to sit on the couch etc. In order to change that behaviour, the obese person's thinking needs to change. They need to make the decision that they no longer accept their life for what it is, and start to make incremental changes. They can't try to change for someone else, or because they have a wedding coming up, or because their partner made a comment about their bum. They have to do it for themselves and as a life change, not a temporary measure.

I liken it to the way I was finally able to quit smoking once and for all. I tried patches, gum, tablets and that stupid book, but I'd only last a couple of weeks before I'd start again. Then a boy would tell me he hates girls who smoke, so I'd try to quit again. Or I'd get sick, and I'd quit for the duration of the illness. It wasn't until I made the resolution that I would never ever smoke again that I made the change. I went cold turkey and haven't smoked for five years.

Calling people disgusting, pathetic, fat bastards etc does nothing to help them change their psychology and by extension, their behaviour. It contributes to the cycle of self-loathing, and perpetuates the overeating.
Does anyone actually call people stuff like that to their faces though? Maybe the odd campaigner but I've never seen fat people in public be berated, nor have I heard of family speaking like that to an obese person in their family.

It's more a problem with kids in school that sort of thing I would have thought. Schoolkids get away with that sort of teasing. You talk like that to a person at your work or someone in your family and it won't be well received.

I would never go abusing an obese person but sometimes these people need some sort of kick up the backside so maybe a harsh comment from a stranger, a stare from a kid in public etc isn't the worst thing in the world.

On the contrary if nobody pays any attention to their weight do you really think they're ever going to want to change?

Carrot and stick.

No one's self-esteem has ever been boosted by being called a fat slob, but what message are we sending by normalising obesity?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...r/news-story/a2f9c7905a485ea5234cf629a5c3ecf9

In the space of a couple of generations we've grown 1-2% taller and ~20% heavier. It's alarming and that message shouldn't be lost in among positive affirmations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back