Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes already 18. Last season as a bottom ager his stats were a total of 4 handballs and 1 mark in his one and only appearance for the pioneers during the entire of 2023 season. In the photo of him he looks like a praying mantis, a million miles away from even being able to withstand the physicality. This sums up the whole pointlessness of the NGA, a mere sniff of a player and people round here think because we finally get to use the discount that we should cash it in just for the hell of it. I'd rather the club spend full priced picks on any kid that's proven and highly rated. How desperate are people for a NGA discount. This is why Myer put up 50% off stickers on full priced items and people kill each other at Boxing Day sales so they can "feel like they got a bargain". Monster AFL KPF would pick him up and do biceps curls out of boredom then use his limbs to floss their teeth. That body would struggle to ever bulk up. Train on rookie psd at best.

View attachment 1977872
Met this kid a couple of years ago, as well as the rest of our academy kids. Without knowing about him or any of the other kids, I tried to see which of the lads had the best skills during the training and with just the warm up kick to kicks etc.

Some players, the ball magically just wants to go to them. I.e Dusty in big moments.

This kid made the ball talk like few others I have seen.. you cannot teach footy IQ

Yes, is very lightly built now. But with the right development will fill out into his frame.

The coach’s compared him to Jamarra U-H
I see a bit of Paddy Ryder/Lance Franklin (younger days) about him.

I’m not sure how seriously he is taking his under age footy or how he has been tracking but this observation was from over 2 years ago and this is the first I have checked the big footy forums and seen him so I thought I’d share my 2 cents.

Up the Tiges

Since 2017 we have drafted one NGA player - Derrick Eggmolese-Smith - 9 games

The year before the same area produced 4 players that were drafted to AFL clubs
Jy Simpkin 142 games
Esava Ratugolea 86 games
Kyle Kirby 1 game
Jamaine Jones 58 games

Met this kid a couple of years ago, as well as the rest of our academy kids. Without knowing about him or any of the other kids, I tried to see which of the lads had the best skills during the training and with just the warm up kick to kicks etc.

Some players, the ball magically just wants to go to them. I.e Dusty in big moments.

This kid made the ball talk like few others I have seen.. you cannot teach footy IQ

Yes, is very lightly built now. But with the right development will fill out into his frame.

The coach’s compared him to Jamarra U-H
I see a bit of Paddy Ryder/Lance Franklin (younger days) about him.

I’m not sure how seriously he is taking his under age footy or how he has been tracking but this observation was from over 2 years ago and this is the first I have checked the big footy forums and seen him so I thought I’d share my 2 cents.

Up the Tiges

I'd love to find out he's been playing possum and we juice him up and he becomes a cross between Glen Jackovich and Rance with a dash of Gaspar for good measure. Sadly a kid who's built like an Ethiopian whippet who played 1 measley game as a bottom ager resulting in 4 meager touches has zero resemblance to any of JUH, Buddy or Ryder. He must've had his magnet polarity in reverse that game cos 4 touches in his one and done game isnt anything to hang your hat on....... I think we've all given up hope of landing anything from the black hole of resources that is our NGA. Mackenzie Cowley was likened as the next Chris Judd so the club spent a motze having him as a full time lodger at Caulfield Grammar for the bargain price of $65k p/a.

He's barely getting a kick at Tongala these days and could at least repay the club by washing the windows or changing the urinal cakes at Punt Rd as a show of gratitude. Laura Kane and her EID can delude themselves into thinking there's all reasons for the Indigenous numbers dropping off but I think they'll fing a big part of it is clubs have found out the NGA investment and discount just isn't worth it, when the yield has been a pittance for 90% of clubs.

I'd love to find out he's been playing possum and we juice him up and he becomes a cross between Glen Jackovich and Rance with a dash of Gaspar for good measure. Sadly a kid who's built like an Ethiopian whippet who played 1 measley game as a bottom ager resulting in 4 meager touches has zero resemblance to any of JUH, Buddy or Ryder. He must've had his magnet polarity in reverse that game cos 4 touches in his one and done game isnt anything to hang your hat on....... I think we've all given up hope of landing anything from the black hole of resources that is our NGA. Mackenzie Cowley was likened as the next Chris Judd so the club spent a motze having him as a full time lodger at Caulfield Grammar for the bargain price of $65k p/a.

He's barely getting a kick at Tongala these days and could at least repay the club by washing the windows or changing the urinal cakes at Punt Rd as a show of gratitude. Laura Kane and her EID can delude themselves into thinking there's all reasons for the Indigenous numbers dropping off but I think they'll fing a big part of it is clubs have found out the NGA investment and discount just isn't worth it, when the yield has been a pittance for 90% of clubs.
What happened to that Crowley thought I heard he didn’t want an afl career , he looked like being anything as a junior

Everything you just typed is irrelevant. Played one under age league game last year and that’s what you’re going off?? You probably read that on this forum.

I guess you’re gonna disregard the games his played this year?

4 BOG’s in 5 games for Pioneers, playing in a team with top prospects in this years draft. He also has played good senior footy in Bendigo.

this isn’t a Liam McBean clone. Zaydyn will bulk up, is definitely worth the shot if all it costs us is a list spot. Although I do feel if he gets enough exposure this year he could be a top 40 selection imo.

Everything you just typed is irrelevant. Played one under age league game last year and that’s what you’re going off?? You probably read that on this forum.

I guess you’re gonna disregard the games his played this year?

4 BOG’s in 5 games for Pioneers, playing in a team with top prospects in this years draft. He also has played good senior footy in Bendigo.

this isn’t a Liam McBean clone. Zaydyn will bulk up, is definitely worth the shot if all it costs us is a list spot. Although I do feel if he gets enough exposure this year he could be a top 40 selection imo.

There ya go that link will show he played one solitary game and had 4 magnetic handballs total in his grandiose single game in 2023. And BP is in the best players not BOG. And they generously list 6-8 players in the best from each team. That link will also show you this year he's played 5 games averaging 9 touches 2 marks as an 18yo, hardly eye catching stuff. Vic country rep games are the cream he'll be opposed to the best forwards from each state that's if he even gets on the field. Nobody knows if he'll bulk up? Thomson Dow and David Bourke failed to gain an ounce of weight in 5 seasons. The NGA's a barren rort should be scrapped anyway.

There ya go that link will show he played one solitary game and had 4 magnetic handballs total in his grandiose single game in 2023. And BP is in the best players not BOG. And they generously list 6-8 players in the best from each team. That link will also show you this year he's played 5 games averaging 9 touches 2 marks as an 18yo, hardly eye catching stuff. Vic country rep games are the cream he'll be opposed to the best forwards from each state that's if he even gets on the field. Nobody knows if he'll bulk up? Thomson Dow and David Bourke failed to gain an ounce of weight in 5 seasons. The NGA's a barren rort should be scrapped anyway.
You do realise that not all kids are involved in the talent pathways from a young age.

The club organises training sessions in local places such as Bendigo, Albury/wondonga, Echuca where young players can show what they have. Most just play for fun and have no idea what a professional sport environment looks like.

Now take a kid from there and then throw them in a team they’re not familiar with and see how they go. It’s naturally gonna take some time to adjust to the pace.

Fast track a year later and is being considered one of the better players 4 out of 5 games in the competition you are judging him harshly on.

Add that to playing senior footy against men in Bendigo, he is getting the exposure against bigger bodies.

I’m not saying he will be the next JUH, Ryder or Lance. I’m just saying from what I have seen he could develop into a player similar to those players.

Just get him into a professional environment and judge him from there. Could be a diamond in the rough or just another project player that won’t cost us much. - I am excited to see how he will go in the national comp, hopefully not too good that he flies up the draft board. ;)

Also, the NGA does need more work and resources put into it. Areas like The Riverina, Shepparton, Echuca etc. have great footy culture and great players come from there. With more development and regular academy training we could legit just get players from that area and not even worry about the draft.

But putting development into Indigenous and NGA players from a young age will not only benefit the club it will open the door to plenty of young boys and girls to chase their dreams of playing league footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was goal umpiring my daughter's game yesterday and at half time there's all these young kids having shots on goal and 1 who was very little was kicking and bouncing and pretty impressive. Like VERY impressive!

This kid was tiny I think maybe 4 or 5.

And as the game was restarting his sister came over and grabbed him.

"Parker we gotta go"

I don't know how old he is.. but in 15 years time... Dam!

I was goal umpiring my daughter's game yesterday and at half time there's all these young kids having shots on goal and 1 who was very little was kicking and bouncing and pretty impressive. Like VERY impressive!

"Parker we gotta go"

4 years old turning 5 in July i believe

"Parker we gotta go"

parker Cotchin

Those Leys numbers are nice and solid, better than Danny Meyer and his 14-16 possies per game.

That's a good sign.
Wonder if we will see him in the vfl soon especially with we have Ryan in the sr side and Crayfish out

Good experience to get some experience as the number 1 ruck at a higher level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back