List Mgmt. Father / Son / Daughter Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

And if his name was Connor Brown or Connor White??

I think it's best left to the people in the field...our recruiters who no doubt would have a handle on his development and potential.

If that was his name, we probably wouldn't get him as a Father Son.

Story was we were advised to rookie Luke Brown in his draft year, we didn't, and then we had to pay a bit more for him via the mini-draft.

Do we take the risk on rookie-ing a kid (whoever that it) in Year 1, or waiting until he improves, and being asked to match a 3rd rounder... increasing his price?

If that was his name, we probably wouldn't get him as a Father Son.

Story was we were advised to rookie Luke Brown in his draft year, we didn't, and then we had to pay a bit more for him via the mini-draft.

Do we take the risk on rookie-ing a kid (whoever that it) in Year 1, or waiting until he improves, and being asked to match a 3rd rounder... increasing his price?
If that was his name he wouldn't be getting a mention here either!
Or put several years into a player just because he's a father/son ahead of a lad that's more deserving?
AFL list spots should be earned, "romance" shouldn't come into it, hence Edwards and Jarman who had shown a hell of a lot more were only given rookie spots....and both had represented the state and performed well at U18 Championships. If the recruiters think he's worthy he'll get a spot, personally I'm not seeing it even though I've never seen the lad play.........like most others here in that regard I would think.

I think it's best left to the people in the field...our recruiters who no doubt would have a handle on his development and potential.
....but but the romance! :cool:

, personally I'm not seeing it even though I've never seen the lad play.

Huh?

I saw him play once as a much younger lad (would have been under 15s or 16s) and would have told you there was no chance he'd make it to SANFL Reserve level, let alone putting in respectable performances.

We can safely assume two things, that his scope for improvement is bloody high and that he's come from a very long way back.

Given this last 12 months I'd be assuming anything between that 4 goal game being the best he ever plays and becomes a sensational AFL footballer is possible.

I understand this completely, and the interest has peaked because of the name a little.

My point was more so being that if recruiters see a huge exponential growth in his development after committing to footy, then rather than waiting until he is 20 odd to draft him, AKA a Tim Kelly etc, do we take him now and put him into an elite system ASAP.

If recruiters see little improvement then obviously don't bother.

He's coming from a long, long way back, but if they see the potential then a late rookie pick wouldn't be the worst.

You could certainly understand Connor being a little reluctant to go gung ho into footy as a kid. The comparisons would have been stifling even from an early age. Everyone expecting you to have the champion DNA and give the Crows a father-son.

He was more serious about soccer for a while from memory? Good way to sidestep the limelight.

Perhaps it was more about his inability to handle expectation and wanting just to enjoy playing sport than him not being up to it from a talent sense.

You could certainly understand Connor being a little reluctant to go gung ho into footy as a kid. The comparisons would have been stifling even from an early age. Everyone expecting you to have the champion DNA and give the Crows a father-son.

He was more serious about soccer for a while from memory? Good way to sidestep the limelight.

Perhaps it was more about his inability to handle expectation and wanting just to enjoy playing sport than him not being up to it from a talent sense.

Indeed, Don Bradman's son didn't pick up a bat and went as far as to change his name to get away from it.

It actually really pisses me off that some people rob these kids of their entitlement to just enjoy the game for its own sake out of some idea that they owe the supporter base to be good because of who their father was.

You can get plenty of joy out of footy if your talents will only let you be a suburban B Grader. You don't owe it to anyone to be a superstar nor should that be condemned as a failure.

Huh?

I saw him play once as a much younger lad (would have been under 15s or 16s) and would have told you there was no chance he'd make it to SANFL Reserve level, let alone putting in respectable performances.

We can safely assume two things, that his scope for improvement is bloody high and that he's come from a very long way back.

Given this last 12 months I'd be assuming anything between that 4 goal game being the best he ever plays and becomes a sensational AFL footballer is possible.
Huh?

The chances of him making it to AFL coming through the pathway he has are remote at best, that's the reality and that's what I assume at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back