Past Father / Son - Josh Dunkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Not this again FFS, he didn't want to come to Sydney. End of story.
That's a nice revisionist fantasy, but it is false. Emma Quayle, pretty much universally regarded as the best informed draft writer, said he had no issue with Sydney. Beatson didn't want him.

Josh Dunkley had nothing against the Swans. He has spent plenty of time in Sydney over the last year or two, and knew when he nominated as a father-son pick last Friday that if that's where he ended up, he would be at a strong club that would look after him and help him become a better player.

"It's always a tough call when it comes to father and son players, but as a recruiting department our job is to take the emotion out of it, to look at the needs of the list, look at what else is available in the draft and make the best possible decision," said Sydney's list manager, Kinnear Beatson.

"Josh is a fierce competitor and he'll maximise his chance and he'll do well at the Bulldogs, so it was a difficult call but that's what this business is about."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...mma-why-sydney-opted-out-20151125-gl84z9.html

That's a nice revisionist fantasy, but it is false. Emma Quayle, pretty much universally regarded as the best informed draft writer, said he had no issue with Sydney. Beatson didn't want him.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...mma-why-sydney-opted-out-20151125-gl84z9.html
Well this article disagrees

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/dunkleys-draft-deal-how-josh-ended-up-at-dogs

Melbourne.

A recruiter, who wished to remain anonymous and is not affiliated with the Swans or Bulldogs, revealed why the Swans became the first club not to match a bid on a father-son prospect.

"The family was pretty keen to see Josh stay in Melbourne and the Swans understood that," the recruiter said.

"The Swans agreed not to match a bid from a (Victorian) club for him, only if (the bid) came from a side outside Victoria.

"It's fair to say (the Dunkleys) were very happy when Josh ended up at the Dogs."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/dunkleys-draft-deal-how-josh-ended-up-at-dogs

Melbourne.

A recruiter, who wished to remain anonymous and is not affiliated with the Swans or Bulldogs, revealed why the Swans became the first club not to match a bid on a father-son prospect.

"The family was pretty keen to see Josh stay in Melbourne and the Swans understood that," the recruiter said.

"The Swans agreed not to match a bid from a (Victorian) club for him, only if (the bid) came from a side outside Victoria.

"It's fair to say (the Dunkleys) were very happy when Josh ended up at the Dogs."
That was widely reported at the time anyway, that there was an under the table deal to let Dunkley slide.

That was widely reported at the time anyway, that there was an under the table deal to let Dunkley slide.
Ofcourse it's obvious

But some ppl still want to believe that we didnt want to give up two picks outside picks 40 for him

Even though he was rated top 10 pick earlier that year, because our list manager thought he wasnt worth givung up pick 40 and 50

We needed players with pace and foot skills, that's why we opted for Leonardis instead ;)

<trollface.gif>

In all seriousness I'm not actually that unhappy with the way things panned out.

Yes it would have been great to keep Mitchell and take Dunkley, but players of their calibre don't come cheap, and we almost certainly would have had other clubs chasing Dunkley's signature down the track. Better off securing Mills and Heeney IMO as they are both top 5 picks and will both end up playing in the middle. Yes it has weakened our inside mid stocks in the short term but we should be OK, just pray Kennedy doesn't injure his back from carrying our midfield. :drunk:

Also I'd be very disappointed if we were scared off drafting players just because they were reluctant to come to Sydney. We showed with picking Florent that this is not the case. I'm actually happier with Florent and Hayward as they have what we need.

Micky O also famously didn't want to come to Sydney, as I'm sure do a lot of interstate teenagers. If we allow them to dictate who we should or should not draft then we might as well just recruit NSW players only

I agree with this, but he only nominated us under the agreement that we wouldn't match any bid from a Victorian club.

Melbourne.

Bang!
This is why. He would have come but would have left after a few years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The parties aren't exactly going to come out and say "yeah, we came to an agreement to (effectively) manipulate the draft" I wouldn't have thought.

It was basically a form of draft tampering & coming to the Swans was the lesser of two evils if he had to go interstate.
The Swans did Dunks a favour, though I can't understand why!

The Swans did Dunks a favour, though I can't understand why!

Politics I would say. I don't like us doing other clubs any favours at any time, but the one time we were ruthless (by getting Buddy) all hell broke loose. It sucks, but this is the environment the AFL has become now.

Politics I would say. I don't like us doing other clubs any favours at any time, but the one time we were ruthless (by getting Buddy) all hell broke loose. It sucks, but this is the environment the AFL has become now.

I think in this case it was looking after a past player. It would have been unprofessiona,l in today's day & age of AFL, to draft the kid knowing he may was ai high risk of homesickness. It the very reason why we haven't lost many of late in the manner we used to.
We would have had to tap into future picks to come up with tne points, hence risk losing the chance to pick up Hayward, a much better prospect skill wise, than Dunkley, who is a Luke Parker clone if ever I've seen one.

I always assumed that there might have been a bit of this in it. We were just about to grab callum mills after getting heeney after getting buddy after getting tippett. I reckon while the club was willing to tell the afl to f off once again, they may have looked at it as just one thing too many, for a player that they weren't absolutely committed to.

Not sure if this has been posted on this board yet, but:

Josh Dunkley says Sydney would have matched a bid if he was bid at pick 28. The reason your club didn't match our bid is because they didn't want to go into deficit next year after already matching a bid for Mills earlier in the draft.

Last edited:
Josh Dunkley says Sydney would have matched a bid if he was bid at pick 28. The reason your club didn't match our bid is because they didn't want to go into deficit next year after already matching a bid for Mills earlier in the draft.
He's not likely to admit to draft tampering, though.

We had enough points to match what turned out to be your bid without going into deficit.

The Dunkley it seems, tampered with the draft. The interview with Andrew showing his bitterness towards us on Open Mike, only reinforced it to many that he didn’t want Josh anywhere near us or away from Vic. We too were part of it because we did the goodwill thing to one of our past players.
Who still can’t stand the club by the way. Good luck them all & move on. We don’t need that bitterness from a past player at our club.
Now waiting for a response from so called family friend/member who came on here last time.🙄

FALSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back