Other Favorite Jerseys and General Uniform Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL uniform rankings and team bias as determined by survey of /r/nfl community. Original survey criteria and extra analysis linked in comments

Two surveys asking participants to rate NFL uniforms in a non-head-to-head format were conducted online over roughly 40 hours. Below are the results and analysis.

----

Click the link for the full article, data, and graphs.

Just going to post a couple myself here...

XnmIVaA.png

rVfFZKq.png
Still laughing at Arizona at #10

Still laughing at Arizona at #10
Cards drastically need a uniform overhaul.

So we know Rams, Jets and Falcons are getting new ones soon.

Browns are also getting new ones because the entire org/team hates the most recent change. Tho i reckon the dark color rush jersey looks great. They should adopt that imo.

Bengals could do with a change, tho that wont happen anytime soon.

Jaguars will probably change again when they're allowed to, the current version is very bland, no imagination.

Bucs need to just change the number fonts.

Dolphins should go back to the old logo and old uniform.

Cards drastically need a uniform overhaul.

So we know Rams, Jets and Falcons are getting new ones soon.

Browns are also getting new ones because the entire org/team hates the most recent change. Tho i reckon the dark color rush jersey looks great. They should adopt that imo.

Bengals could do with a change, tho that wont happen anytime soon.

Jaguars will probably change again when they're allowed to, the current version is very bland, no imagination.

Bucs need to just change the number fonts.

Dolphins should go back to the old logo and old uniform.
You always say Falcons are getting a change but never show where that's been announced? You're making it up for sure

Cards and Falcons do need drastic changes tho

Bengals only need slight adjustments not a full change

Jags only need slight tweaks

Browns need to go straight back to what they had before

Bucs get progressively worse every time they change so maybe they should just stay with what they've got lmao

Dolphins need to go back to the alts they wear

My faves for each team (admittedly a bit biased from the era when I first started following the game)

AFC EAST
1987_Buffalo.png

I like the Bills in their white helmets too, but in a league filled with white helmets the red fits best.
1978_Miami.png

Classic look. Historically relevant too.
2013_NewEngland.png

I love the minuteman helmet, but their current uniform is their best one.
1992_NYJets.png

The Kotite era jets, with the black outline gets the nod for me.
AFC NORTH
1999_Baltimore.png

Not much to choose from for the Ravens.
1981_Cincinnati.png

A lot better than the current version. Went with the numbers on the sleeves over the logo version they used in the late 90s.
1989_Cleveland.png

Tried and true.
1995_Pittsburgh.png

Two words. Block numbers.
AFC SOUTH
2003_Houston.png

Only one to choose from
2015_Indianapolis.png

Hardly changed.
1997_Jacksonville.png

Clearly the best of the Jags uniform history. Always loved the way the black side panels looked on this one.
2000_Tennessee.png

The Houston Oilers look was >>>>> than any Titans uniform. However the McNair era unis were the best for mine.
AFC WEST
1966_Denver.png

Wouldn't mind seeing this with the 70s/80s Broncos helmet.
1972_KansasCity.png

Basically unchanged since their move to KC.
1974_Oakland.png

Basically unchanged since their move/s to Oakland LA Oakland.
1979_SanDiego.png

Air Coryell Chargers ahead of the Superbowl XXIX Chargers ahead of the white helmet edition

NFC EAST
1992_Dallas.png

This is the Dallas Cowboys
1987_NYGiants.png

Parcells era Giants uniforms for me. Wouldn't mind it in the darker Blue they use now.
1990_Philadelphia.png

Despite the current Eagles kit being in use for 20 years I still prefer the one before it.
2003_Washington.png

I grew up loving the white jersey/burgundy pants look we currently have, but I'd love to see the throwback as our main uniform.
NFC NORTH
1985_Chicago.png

Classic and the best.
1992_Detroit.png

Barry Sanders era uniforms > anything since.
1992_GreenBay.png

Classic and the best.
2003_Minnesota.png

Not a fan of the shoulder stripes on the away, but the home is far greater than anything since.
NFC SOUTH
1991_Atlanta.png

Always like the Glanville era Falcons uniforms over the red jersey and the later versions.
1996_Carolina.png

Not much change from the Panthers. Like the older logo personally.
2005_NewOrleans.png

I liked the extended outline on the late 80s/early 90s uniform numbers, but I think they've got the current one right.
1995_TampaBay.png

I like the orange pants with white better than white on white. A bit gaudy, but they haven't seem to nail a uniform since ditching Bucco Bruce.
NFC WEST
1995_Arizona.png

I really like how they used the Arizona state flag on their away sleeve stripe. Would like it on the home too.
1983_LARams.png

Such a nice look and colour combo. I don't know why they keep wanting to change it.
1983_Seattle.png

Loved the logo stretching around the sleeve and the colours work well together on this design.
1984_SanFrancisco.png

Montana era 9ers ftw.

Images courtesy of http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com

So after not buying a Falcons jersey for years I thought Id buy the set (Went White Pitts, Red/Black Ridley and Black Koo)

In photos and gameday I thought
1. White
2. Black

daylight

3. Red/Black

However, in person, I ****ing love the Red/Black jersey.
IMO, one of the best sets in football. (Along with the 2 Los Angeles sets)

hate the plastic feel of the cheap fan nike jerseys, screen printed plastic garbage.
anyone splashed out on one of the expensive gameday ones? are they worth it?

as for jersey debate panthers black home and all blue alternate best in the league mmmmmm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's another type of jersey which I bought and reckon it's alright. It looks the same as an AFL or NRL jersey, where all the numbers, names, words, graphics are printed in it, part of the fabric itself, not screen printed on. No mesh on the jersey, all solid, with that white interior like the AFL/NRL jerseys, tight fit like a t-shirt.

It's called the Legend or Vapor Limited. Depending what a team's shop calls it.

Here's an example...

1635077381217.png

COMPARED TO A SCREEN PRINTED ONE

1635077424212.png

Not sure if you can see the differences in the picture.

I have a Steelers NIKE GAME jersey and I'm not pleased with it. The sleeves balloon out, just the way they're designed....while the body is good fitting, but it's also too long, covers the crotch. The sleeves balloon out even more because that sleeve design is screen printed on there, it's a big bulky thing wrapped around the sleeve. And the numbers are also screen printed. Whereas the Steelers logo patch is sewn on which is nice.

Whereas the NIKE LEGEND I bought for the Cowboys, is perfect fitting, like a t-shirt. All the sleeve designs, numbers etc, are part of the fabric itself, printed into it.

Reckon I'll buy a Steelers one to replace my current NIKE GAME.

As for the NIKE ELITE which are official on-field jerseys...reckon don't buy them...they're very loose fitting so a player can wear pads underneath, and they're very long, longer than GAME jerseys. Also, all those tackle twill name and numbers sewn onto the jersey....while it sounds great, and looks nice, it's even worse to wear, as the numbers are stiff and bulky so doesn't feel good and when you bend over and stuff, the numbers don't give well. Also not good to fold them etc, as they crease. Plus the sleeves are really really short like you see on NFL players. Also, doesn't look good having the sleeves graphics/stripes cut off shorter like that. Looks stupid.

Nike Game are ok tho, probably best to buy, as long as your team doesnt have bulky sleeve designs.

I also bought a Houston Texans white NIKE GAME, and that's sooooo nice to wear, sleeves aren't bulky, etc.

Not sure if you can see the differences in the picture.

I have a Steelers NIKE GAME jersey and I'm not pleased with it. The sleeves balloon out, just the way they're designed....while the body is good fitting, but it's also too long, covers the crotch. The sleeves balloon out even more because that sleeve design is screen printed on there, it's a big bulky thing wrapped around the sleeve. And the numbers are also screen printed. Whereas the Steelers logo patch is sewn on which is nice.

Whereas the NIKE LEGEND I bought for the Cowboys, is perfect fitting, like a t-shirt. All the sleeve designs, numbers etc, are part of the fabric itself, printed into it.

Reckon I'll buy a Steelers one to replace my current NIKE GAME.

As for the NIKE ELITE which are official on-field jerseys...reckon don't buy them...they're very loose fitting so a player can wear pads underneath, and they're very long, longer than GAME jerseys. Also, all those tackle twill name and numbers sewn onto the jersey....while it sounds great, and looks nice, it's even worse to wear, as the numbers are stiff and bulky so doesn't feel good and when you bend over and stuff, the numbers don't give well. Also not good to fold them etc, as they crease. Plus the sleeves are really really short like you see on NFL players. Also, doesn't look good having the sleeves graphics/stripes cut off shorter like that. Looks stupid.

Nike Game are ok tho, probably best to buy, as long as your team doesnt have bulky sleeve designs.

I also bought a Houston Texans white NIKE GAME, and that's sooooo nice to wear, sleeves aren't bulky, etc.
By legend do you mean limited or are they two different things

I just want a nice non bulky fit that doesnt have screen printed details on the arms and shoulders.
Feels so plasticky when i wear my cmc jersey legit hate the thing, plus its massive pre sure its a cheap game one.

I just want a nice non bulky fit that doesnt have screen printed details on the arms and shoulders.
Feels so plasticky when i wear my cmc jersey legit hate the thing, plus its massive pre sure its a cheap game one.
NFLshop , select team, then look for Nike Legend. Sometimes its called Nike Vapor Limited.

Some Vapor ones are screen printed, some have tackle twill sewn numbers, some are like the AFL ones I mentioned.

The key to look for is in the description of the item.....DRI-FIT technology, sublimated not screen printed.

Pro Line make more traditional style uniforms but, from memory, they're mostly throwbacks.

By legend do you mean limited or are they two different things
Legend = cheap screen printed crap, avoid
Game = entry level jersey. They’re what you would want to wear to a game as a fan really. Screen printed but I like them. Comfortable to wear.
Limited = a step up from game, numbers etc sewn on. Makes it a little heavier. More of a mesh material on the jersey which is cool.

I mostly have game jerseys but I have one limited and was glad I bought it.

Yeah that is correct. Still have the same opinion of it. Blergh.
Pros and Cons for sure for all the various jersey options.

Elite ... game day top, mesh paneling in that odd Nike onfield design, stitched names, numbers, logos, badges, fabric sleeve designs sewn into sleeves. But it's very baggy (made for pads), very long, and the sleeves are very short it ruins the sleeve designs of teams. There are two types of Elite -- one with a very short sleeve, and one with hardly any sleeve (as lineman often wear). Also, very expensive to buy, like $200-300 USD.

Game....best version between on-field and lesser versions. Made to wear, not for pads. Mesh only down the sides which is nicer. Less long. Downside is heat-pressed silk screened numbers, names, sleeve designs. As mentioned before, a team with elaborate sleeve design makes the sleeves balloon out more as its wrapped around the sleeve. But silk-screen is more wearable and foldable than the Elite (stitched stuff all over the place, across the tummy and back). At least these modern heat-pressed types of silk-screened jerseys are much better than the older 80's and 90's ones where they would fade and peel away in the wash.

Legend...I like these because they are like AFL/NRL tops, the designs sublimated into the fabric, and they're not long, like a t-shirt, so you can wear it with jeans and not be loose and baggy over your crotch. The downside is...true, it's a cheaper look...eg, the collars aren't the proper thick collars, they're more soft and pliable like t-shirts.

Then you have all the old Mitchell and Ness types, which I hate, as they've got mesh all the way around the body and only the shoulders, side panels and sleeves a non-see-thru fabric, like the old days players wore.

There are some other versions around. Like Vapor Limited. Vapor Elite. and such. Vapor is my favorite to buy because the sleeves arent short, arent long or baggy/balloony, but a perfect length and the sleeve designs look really good on them, literally halfway down the sleeve. Whereas Game the designs are down to the bottom of the cuff of the sleeves and the sleeves are a bit longer. And they arent too short like the Elite where the design gets cut off halfway as you see with players on the field.

Some Vapor types have dri-fit tech, some have heat-pressed silk screened names/numbers/designs but logos and badges stitched, and some have all stitched names/numbers/logos. You really have to read the descriptions to make sure what various versions of jersey types you are buying.

My top two therefore are....Nike Game (good all-round) and Nike Legend (when you like a tighter t-shirt fit).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back