Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds good. Cheers.
Time commitments?
Yeah time commitments, need to spend at least 10 hours minimum a week for it to keep ticking over. Also when I first started it there was pretty much only 1 or 2 places that did it, now there are heaps. Did make some really good business contacts though.

Don't think I mentioned it here but had one really hilarious old bloke get all shitty with me because I wouldn't freight his order. He was a beer label collector but he lived in some remote place in Queensland and he'd selected "Melbourne Metro - Saturday Delivery" so I contacted to let him know I'd refund his order because it wasn't possible to get it to him. He lost his s**t, started telling me how unprofessional it was to not deliver it to him as "no other place has a problem" and Australia Post deliver for $10 a carton to him from Melbourne, how he's going to tell all his "well known contacts in the beer industry" how I was rude etc etc (I was extremely diplomatic as my gf actually proofed the emails). He was actually extremely angry because he wasn't getting his beer label, it took all my willpower to not laugh after about the third lot of correspondence.

Long story short, he was full of sh*t and hilariously name dropped a brewer who I actually had helped out a few times and when I brought that up and the fact that I spoke to him and he'd never sent freight anywhere remotely close to this guys location he offered to pay the $45 freight charge to which I politely declined. Crazy.

Yeah time commitments, need to spend at least 10 hours minimum a week for it to keep ticking over. Also when I first started it there was pretty much only 1 or 2 places that did it, now there are heaps. Did make some really good business contacts though.

Don't think I mentioned it here but had one really hilarious old bloke get all shitty with me because I wouldn't freight his order. He was a beer label collector but he lived in some remote place in Queensland and he'd selected "Melbourne Metro - Saturday Delivery" so I contacted to let him know I'd refund his order because it wasn't possible to get it to him. He lost his s**t, started telling me how unprofessional it was to not deliver it to him as "no other place has a problem" and Australia Post deliver for $10 a carton to him from Melbourne, how he's going to tell all his "well known contacts in the beer industry" how I was rude etc etc (I was extremely diplomatic as my gf actually proofed the emails). He was actually extremely angry because he wasn't getting his beer label, it took all my willpower to not laugh after about the third lot of correspondence.

Long story short, he was full of sh*t and hilariously name dropped a brewer who I actually had helped out a few times and when I brought that up and the fact that I spoke to him and he'd never sent freight anywhere remotely close to this guys location he offered to pay the $45 freight charge to which I politely declined. Crazy.
Got your PM Ill reply in the morning had a late one. If you deliver it I should be home and I'll have a beer in the fridge for you. :thumbsu:

Mash Brewery Copycat AIPA.

One of the best mouthfeel beers from Australia, for me.

Pricey at $20.00 for a pack of 4, but not a bad beer at all.
Such a good beer, pretty underrated too. They stock it at a lot of mainstream bottle shops and it seems to be avoided because of the price, and then in independent ones it seems it isn't fancy enough. Great beer – used to love rewarding uni student me on the very rare occasion with a four pack of those if I knocked off work on a sunny Saturday arvo.

Also had an ESB they did as a small batch beer which was brilliant. As of last week I've wound up the beer buddha thing (for now), I still do have some stock that I'm filtering out at cost price though so I can shoot you a PM tonight with what I have left if you like.

Sad you're closing up - ordering from you was one of those things I always meant to do and just never got around to :(

Sad you're closing up - ordering from you was one of those things I always meant to do and just never got around to :(
That's ok, was more of a hobby than anything I ever thought I'd realistically make any money out of. I'll probably do some xmas gift packs though so I have a valid reason to sample a lot of beer :thumbsu:

Is anyone attending any thing in particular during Good Beer Week?

Carlton Draught. $4.50 a schooner at the Strawberry Hills Hotel.

Simple man with simple pleasures.

If I need to go fancy, Coopers Pale Ale.

Any fancier than that, someone else is buying.

15 oz is a schooner, I remember the 10 oz pot in Melbourne pubs, in Perth most pubs sell the big glass of beer that every one calls a pint??

I reckon they are only 15 oz schooner glasses. Isn't a real pint 20 oz?

Now listen to this, that $4.50 for a 15 oz schooner at the Strawberry Hills Hotel sounds very cheap, WA more tha double that at 2017 prices.
But when I tended bar in the outer suburbs of good old Melbourne, several centuries ago, it was 20 cents a 10 oz pot and 16 cents for a 7 oz glass.
And all you got was Carlton Draught out of the tap. Beeeeeuuuuadiful!

These days its like drinking from a tea spoon. hah!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 oz is a schooner, I remember the 10 oz pot in Melbourne pubs, in Perth most pubs sell the big glass of beer that every one calls a pint??

I reckon they are only 15 oz schooner glasses. Isn't a real pint 20 oz?

Now listen to this, that $4.50 for a 15 oz schooner at the Strawberry Hills Hotel sounds very cheap, WA more tha double that at 2017 prices.
But when I tended bar in the outer suburbs of good old Melbourne, several centuries ago, it was 20 cents a 10 oz pot and 16 cents for a 7 oz glass.
And all you got was Carlton Draught out of the tap. Beeeeeuuuuadiful!

These days its like drinking from a tea spoon. hah!

Schooner is 425ml, pint is 580ml (I think). Middy is 285ml.

That's about right for sizes (pint may be 560).

I picked up a couple of pony glasses from an op shop a few years back - 6oz. Perfect size - you get 2 glasses from a stubbie.

They are also that ideal beer glass shape (this is not actually a 6oz pony - but it's the correct shape).

PortlandBeer22ozSHS16

Had a coconut beer in Hawaii - definitely not my thing.

Hawaii does have a couple of good small local breweries - Kona on the Big Island, and Maui on ............. Maui.

I was there for a nephew's wedding, and all the young bucks were getting into the Coors and Miller, and left this for the old guys to drink (and pretty good it was)....
kona-fire-rock-beer-online-1445384664.jpg

Had a coconut beer in Hawaii - definitely not my thing.

Hawaii does have a couple of good small local breweries - Kona on the Big Island, and Maui on ............. Maui.

I was there for a nephew's wedding, and all the young bucks were getting into the Coors and Miller, and left this for the old guys to drink (and pretty good it was)....
kona-fire-rock-beer-online-1445384664.jpg
Cool glass and label.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coconut Porter, probably wouldn't be everyones thing but damn this was a great beer.

Coconut seems to be popular in beers at the moment. Can't say I particularly enjoy it. Very novelty ingredient.

Right now I'm drinking Mayday Hills "Thursday". Mayday Hills is Bridge Road's "farmhouse" project. This one is a Brettanomyces dark ale with gin botanicals. I'm really impressed. Nice amount of funk and the botanicals don't dominate - I can taste the dark malts among all the other flavours.

That's about right for sizes (pint may be 560).

I picked up a couple of pony glasses from an op shop a few years back - 6oz. Perfect size - you get 2 glasses from a stubbie.

They are also that ideal beer glass shape (this is not actually a 6oz pony - but it's the correct shape).

PortlandBeer22ozSHS16
I always thought a pony was 5oz?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back