Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
c3fe019aaf8046df1433b8199ff3d6e9_640x640.jpg

:$

Screw what people are watching, I want to know what people are drinking! LOL
This was on tap at my place. Outstanding!
AviatorOvalRevC.png

You may struggle finding many others who have sampled this one in Australia!

I'd say you're probably right!
So, Nathan, what is the usual strength of American beer? Are they generally weak, or is it that people outside US just don't like them? Haven't tried too many but did get a Miller(?) on tap in Hong Kong once. Didn't like it much. And Bud is absolutely awful. But I am pretty sure there would have to be some good ones there.

So, Nathan, what is the usual strength of American beer? Are they generally weak, or is it that people outside US just don't like them? Haven't tried too many but did get a Miller(?) on tap in Hong Kong once. Didn't like it much. And Bud is absolutely awful. But I am pretty sure there would have to be some good ones there.

Not speaking for Nathan - but I think most of the smaller brewers that aren't the swill that gets exported globally are like the beer here where it is on the heavier side of mid-strength to heavies. I enjoy making fun of American beer as much as anyone - but I dare say it's like judging the entirety of our beer labels based on Fosters. Mate of mine was in Montana years ago and was raving about how good the beers there were - but like you and I can't stand Bud/Millers etc.

Yeah, the 'export' beer market is quite odd. Aussies are generally not fans of Fosters, so why do we bother to export it? Did a good job of marketing globally.

One that really has me shaking my head is Corona. As I understand it, Mexicans don't drink it. And why must you have to kill the taste of a beer by putting lemon/lime in it? Sort of defeats the purpose. Without the lime, Corona is absolutely foul.

Haven't found any German beers worth trying a second time. English beers - well it depends on what sort of beer you get. Not a fan of having to shake a can to get the bubbles.

I don't drink often these days, so I just try to stick with San Miguel Pale Pilsner if I can get it. Although the $14 case of Thai beer from Aldi isn't bad for the price.

I actually managed to find a list of ABV for most American beers. Generally, the giant beer makers fall between 4 and 5 percent. The only time I ever touch those is when I'm going to be consuming a lot with friends as they tend to be MUCH cheaper than the types I prefer. Because of my personal preference for Belgian or certain German types, I'm usually drinking a bit less volume of something in the 6-11 percent range.

Yeah, the 'export' beer market is quite odd. Aussies are generally not fans of Fosters, so why do we bother to export it? Did a good job of marketing globally.

One that really has me shaking my head is Corona. As I understand it, Mexicans don't drink it. And why must you have to kill the taste of a beer by putting lemon/lime in it? Sort of defeats the purpose. Without the lime, Corona is absolutely foul.

Haven't found any German beers worth trying a second time. English beers - well it depends on what sort of beer you get. Not a fan of having to shake a can to get the bubbles.

I don't drink often these days, so I just try to stick with San Miguel Pale Pilsner if I can get it. Although the $14 case of Thai beer from Aldi isn't bad for the price.
I think in general exports are meant to be "low risk". In the "case" of beer, this seems to translate to "very little taste". It seems the intent is to sell craploads of really cheap stuff rather than offer better quality requiring higher prices. The same trend seems to carry over to the restaurant biz - large chains tend towards bland, boring foods that don't scare people.

As an aside, most of the Mexicans I drink with have Pacifico, yet most of the Mexican restaurants offer Corona or Dos Equis. The latter two only being acceptable in a Michelada which is much more about the mix than the beer.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The best American brew I tried was Samual Adams. Although my preference is the European brews. There is a real nice one from the Czech Republic called Kozel

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I'm now of the opinion that the Hope Brewing F11.1 Jet Red IIIPA is my favourite beer of all time. Yes, that 11.1 is the percentage. Goes down like boozy salted caramel.

That was last night.

Tonight I'm having this and I'm scared...

Screenshot_20221105-191023.png

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Screw what people are watching, I want to know what people are drinking! LOL
This was on tap at my place. Outstanding!
AviatorOvalRevC.png
Hot weather beer is TEDS for me, some say cold filtered beer is tasteless , Tooheys Extra Dry has a taste alright.

But Amber Ale is a great drink too, but a bit heavy to throw down lots and lots although some do!
And not just any Amber Ale, James Squire is delicious, touch of sweetness in it s finish!

TEDs used to be my go to drink, especially on a warm day. Probably still my preference for Lagers. I tend to stick to Pale Ales more these days, I like One-Fifty Lashes.

Haven't found any German beers worth trying a second time.
Have you tried Paulaner? Goes down well.
The best American brew I tried was Samual Adams. Although my preference is the European brews. There is a real nice one from the Czech Republic called Kozel
Agree with Kozel! There's a few Czech beers that are pretty good, but Kozel is probably my pick of the bunch.

Hot weather beer is TEDS for me, some say cold filtered beer is tasteless , Tooheys Extra Dry has a taste alright.

But Amber Ale is a great drink too, but a bit heavy to throw down lots and lots although some do!
And not just any Amber Ale, James Squire is delicious, touch of sweetness in it s finish!
For an Amber Ale, this used to be my all-time favorite. Worth a try if you're ever in Milwaukee!
special-amber-1652967621074.png

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had a Czech roofing guy give me a quote and gave me two cans of Czech beer (back when I was drinking) quite awesome (he got the job)

Back in those days I loved a grolsch and all those fun Belgium beers like Leffe. But those days are gone
When we did a road trip through France and Spain we lived off Leffe blonde ....cost us the equivalent of $1.50 a bottle at the time 🙂

Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tangentially related: pre-COVID I was commuting to Sydney a lot for work, and I got to know the guy on concierge in the apartments where I was staying. He was from Latin America on a backpacker visa working and having a ball.

Anyway, I get in late one night and check in, and he and I are having a good old natter, when he mentioned that his great-great (I can't remember how many greats) grandfather actually invented the recipe for Corona. He and a business partner worked on it for a few years, before being bought out by someone.

I made a crack along the lines of if his ancestor hadn't sold it, he wouldn't be backpacking around the world, and he responded by saying, but yeah, then he'd be carrying around the guilt of profiting off the most repugnant beer in the world.

Last edited:

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure about the worst, but it’s definitely the most overrated. Always thought it was just bland and inoffensive, the sort of beer you could throw down after mowing the lawns on a hot day, as long as you drank it quick enough.

Crown Lager on the other hand…

Back