Feds tip in $15m to upgrade Blundstone Area

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks good, you can't really complain with that. More seats, better facilities, more punter-friendly, and pretty decent architecture. It's an absolute laughing stock that Hobart and Adelaide will be getting redevelopments to their footy grounds before Perth do.

Plenty of work to do in Hobart before it can be done.

The state's financial woes mean it cannot commit at this stage to the project, Cricket Australia does not fund infrastructure and the AFL is believed to have gone cold on funding after being left out of the consultation process.
Mr Harrison remained positive, but tight-lipped, when asked about the funding.
"We are confident we will get the funding for the development,"he said. "We would need to know by the end of this year that we've got it. I'm fairly confident that's all in order. We are discussing various funding sources at the moment."
It was hoped the State Government would back-end the project that would increase capacity from 15,000 to 20,000.
But Premier Lara Giddings was non-committal yesterday

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/10/09/363427_sport-news.html

The full article.

It's an absolute laughing stock that Hobart ... will be getting redevelopments to their footy grounds before Perth do.

Miss this?

"CT chairman Tony Harrison said he was confident of securing the rest of the funding but would not elaborate on possible sources."

Bellerive's redevelopment is no closer to reality than Subiaco's replacement.

Without an improvment to the car parking or a proper shuttle bus relay station to town and a point in the northarn suburbs this is going to be a non event.

Residents do not want.

Locals ramp up fight over Oval

A GROUP of Bellerive residents is preparing to campaign against the latest expansion plans for Blundstone Arena.
Cricket Tasmania wants approval for a $30 million redevelopment, with work starting by early next year to be ready for the 2015 World Cup.
In June, the Clarence City Council knocked back Cricket Tasmania's first proposal after a community campaign against a new entrance encroaching on the neighbouring park.
Save the Bellerive Beach Park Group organiser Joanne Marsh said the latest plans still intruded on the park.
"We're really concerned," Mrs Marsh said.
"We know powerful business interests are against us but there are lots of serious safety issues for us, including increased traffic, a new bus interchange and crowds spilling through the park.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/11/08/365542_tasmania-news.html

Residents do not want.

A GROUP of Bellerive residents is preparing to campaign against the latest expansion plans for Blundstone Arena.
Cricket Tasmania wants approval for a $30 million redevelopment, with work starting by early next year to be ready for the 2015 World Cup.
In June, the Clarence City Council knocked back Cricket Tasmania's first proposal after a community campaign against a new entrance encroaching on the neighbouring park.
Save the Bellerive Beach Park Group organiser Joanne Marsh said the latest plans still intruded on the park.
"We know powerful business interests are against us but there are lots of serious safety issues for us, including increased traffic, a new bus interchange and crowds spilling through the park.

Some residents do not want... remember the save Albert Park crew in Melbourne.....

Theres not going to be another multi million dollar sports venue built in Hobart in the next 40 years so there going to have to live with this one and get it right.

Some residents do not want... remember the save Albert Park crew in Melbourne.....

Theres not going to be another multi million dollar sports venue built in Hobart in the next 40 years so there going to have to live with this one and get it right.

Hobart need Sally Pearson to take on all of the hurdles placed in front of them.
Hope they can get it up and over the line.

Residents do not want.

What an absolute joke. Some people just don't want to move forward. It's intruding on a little bit of your park, poor you. Not as if there are a lack of parks...

I don't understand why people would live near a sporting oval, if the presence of the oval was upsetting.

Although the oval is in a terrible location, maybe now would be a good time to build a new oval in a more central position.

I don't understand why people would live near a sporting oval, if the presence of the oval was upsetting.

Although the oval is in a terrible location, maybe now would be a good time to build a new oval in a more central position.

Living next to Bellerive isn't like living next to the MCG or Subi; it's an oval which has had a relatively low level of use. The residents have been there well before the expansion and have a legitimate gripe.

Living next to Bellerive isn't like living next to the MCG or Subi; it's an oval which has had a relatively low level of use. The residents have been there well before the expansion and have a legitimate gripe.

Hang on a sec, it's been around since the late 19th century, a TFL venue since the 1950's, the home of Tasmanian cricket since the 70's and indisputably the major sports venue in Hobart since the 80's.

You can't seriously expect to move nearby a major sports venue and not expect some sort of development. That's just bullshit NIMBYism.

Hang on a sec, it's been around since the late 19th century, a TFL venue since the 1950's, the home of Tasmanian cricket since the 70's and indisputably the major sports venue in Hobart since the 80's.

You can't seriously expect to move nearby a major sports venue and not expect some sort of development. That's just bullshit NIMBYism.

Good grief - Please tell me you've actually visited the place. A resident who has lived in the vicinity for 20 or 30 years has no right to object because they played some local football there in the 50's? Even if it encroaches on another public space? I gather you work for a council with the ridiculous line of reasoning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good grief - Please tell me you've actually visited the place. A resident who has lived in the vicinity for 20 or 30 years has no right to object because they played some local football there in the 50's? Even if it encroaches on another public space? I gather you work for a council with the ridiculous line of reasoning.

Having been to sports events at most Tassie Grounds for a long time, I do feel sorry for the local residents. Sure Boot Park is a very pretty ground with great views ( if the cricket or footy get boring!) & has been in use for over 100 years. Certainly it was developed in the mid 1980's by the TCA but it is in an old suburban area, right on Bellerive beach. The access & parking are crap. That will only get worse as it is developed.
The locals will have to put up with it as the ground wont be getting any less use. The early morning deliveries, ground works, cars & crowds & lights are there to stay. Its a pity really as the ground should never have been developed above local community use it use to get. Its a really dumb place to build a stadium. But the TCA & local council dont care. So thats that.

But when you buy a house near a building/place of significant or cultural importance, surely you understand what you'll be getting? Live near a beach, and you can expect people walking past your house and plenty of noise during the daytime in summer. Live near a concert hall, and expect noise on a fairly casual basis. Live near a footy oval? Well, expect a redevelopment more than a bulldoze job.

Bellerive wasn't built after these people moved in.

I understand there is definitely the cash issue, the money thrown at Hawthorn could have been spent better. But wouldn't you look at the viability as Bellerive as a location for Hobart's premier sporting ground before throwing more money at it? I have never been to the ground, and have only been to Hobart twice in my life, yet I constantly hear how difficult it is to get to the ground, and how the locals don't like it. Maybe selling off the land as property could help fund a new home for Tasmanian Cricket. With North starting to play there and the advent of T20 cricket, it is only going to be more annoying to everyone involved.

I understand there is definitely the cash issue, the money thrown at Hawthorn could have been spent better. But wouldn't you look at the viability as Bellerive as a location for Hobart's premier sporting ground before throwing more money at it? I have never been to the ground, and have only been to Hobart twice in my life, yet I constantly hear how difficult it is to get to the ground, and how the locals don't like it. Maybe selling off the land as property could help fund a new home for Tasmanian Cricket. With North starting to play there and the advent of T20 cricket, it is only going to be more annoying to everyone involved.

The types who run cricket couldnt care less about the plebs who might be inconvenienced by the TCA's choice of Bellerive beach for a stadium development.

Aurora Stadium > Bellerive.

I have been there, I know it's in a residential estate and that it's a shocking place to put a stadium. Aurora absolutely shits all over it in terms of location, and I find it hard to believe there isn't anywhere better in Hobart.

However, my point was that it's been a major sports ground in Hobart for a very long time, at least since the 50's, and even back then was getting a few thousand to watch Clarence play. Unless you lived there before then, when you chose to live in the area you knew there was a major sports ground nearby, and it should have been reasonable to anticipate the possibility of the ground being developed in the future. That's not to say you should have foreseen it as inevitable, however if that sort of thing is objectionable to you then you should have moved to the other 90% of Hobart that isn't near Bellerive, NHO, KGV and probably a couple of other grounds that have history of drawing more than a handful of people to football games.

It's like moving near a shopping centre then complaining when they want to expand, or near an airport then bitch about a second runway.

I have been there, I know it's in a residential estate and that it's a shocking place to put a stadium. Aurora absolutely shits all over it in terms of location, and I find it hard to believe there isn't anywhere better in Hobart.

However, my point was that it's been a major sports ground in Hobart for a very long time, at least since the 50's, and even back then was getting a few thousand to watch Clarence play. Unless you lived there before then, when you chose to live in the area you knew there was a major sports ground nearby, and it should have been reasonable to anticipate the possibility of the ground being developed in the future. That's not to say you should have foreseen it as inevitable, however if that sort of thing is objectionable to you then you should have moved to the other 90% of Hobart that isn't near Bellerive, NHO, KGV and probably a couple of other grounds that have history of drawing more than a handful of people to football games.

It's like moving near a shopping centre then complaining when they want to expand, or near an airport then bitch about a second runway.

By the same token a council that has a sports stadium in a residential area cannot simply take the needs of the stadium to trump the needs of the residents as a matter of course. And given the number of 19th century residences in the area, can I suggest the "who got there first" argument is moot. The people who live there now would be well aware of the oval and used to the current pattern of use. It's well established. What is presently proposed changes the manner in which the oval is used and potentially its impact on residents.

By the same token a council that has a sports stadium in a residential area cannot simply take the needs of the stadium to trump the needs of the residents as a matter of course. And given the number of 19th century residences in the area, can I suggest the "who got there first" argument is moot. The people who live there now would be well aware of the oval and used to the current pattern of use. It's well established. What is presently proposed changes the manner in which the oval is used and potentially its impact on residents.

Fair enough, although i'm not suggesting residents be completely left out of the process. I think it's reasonable that they can at least demand a people management strategy to deal with crowds and the inevitable issues that flow from a lot of people coming to and leaving the ground. But as a whole, I don't think they've got much of a right to demand no development at a sports ground that's been there for so long. It doesn't really matter who was there first, the bottom line is that everyone that lives in the area knows that there's a major sports ground nearby and has had more than ample opportunity to move elsewhere if that's unacceptable. In the same way that it's not appropriate for stadium authorities to complain about the number of houses in the area.

But like I said before, i'm a bit baffled as to why they would choose Bellerive in the first place. I would have thought the current KGV site or somewhere near the domain would have been a lot more sensible if you're looking at the major stadium in the region. Near the major road in and plenty of room for parking nearby. But i'm not an expert on Hobart, maybe there's a reason why that's a good place for it. I just can't see it.

F

But like I said before, i'm a bit baffled as to why they would choose Bellerive in the first place. I would have thought the current KGV site or somewhere near the domain would have been a lot more sensible if you're looking at the major stadium in the region. Near the major road in and plenty of room for parking nearby. But i'm not an expert on Hobart, maybe there's a reason why that's a good place for it. I just can't see it.

The old TCA ground is in the Domain.

What is the logic in having so many grounds in a smaller city like Hobart?

Bellerive is picturesque, but there's the noted issue of residential housing as well as its separation from the domain. Why was the TCA deserted, and why wasn't NHO redeveloped (considering it was hosting Fitzroy games)? Also, some pictures of the latter two would be interesting.

EDIT: Just checking out Hobart on Google maps. What's the ground just south-east of North Hobart? It's on Upper Domain and Davies Ave. There's space around 70% of the ground (as in, a carpark and some grass...).

What is the logic in having so many grounds in a smaller city like Hobart?

Bellerive is picturesque, but there's the noted issue of residential housing as well as its separation from the domain. Why was the TCA deserted, and why wasn't NHO redeveloped (considering it was hosting Fitzroy games)? Also, some pictures of the latter two would be interesting.

EDIT: Just checking out Hobart on Google maps. What's the ground just south-east of North Hobart? It's on Upper Domain and Davies Ave. There's space around 70% of the ground (as in, a carpark and some grass...).

I think you're looking at the Old TCA ground. My memory of that ground is that there would be limited scope to develop it due to the lie of the land around the ground. Car parking would also be an issue I'd guess.

North Hobart is a tiny oval (I used to live across the road and watch games from my verandah). Might have been OK in the 80's, I doubt the ground size or infrastructure would pass AFL muster now.

You can't be suprised by the number of grounds in Hobart when you consider the number of clubs in the area.

I think you're looking at the Old TCA ground. My memory of that ground is that there would be limited scope to develop it due to the lie of the land around the ground. Car parking would also be an issue I'd guess.

North Hobart is a tiny oval (I used to live across the road and watch games from my verandah). Might have been OK in the 80's, I doubt the ground size or infrastructure would pass AFL muster now.

You can't be suprised by the number of grounds in Hobart when you consider the number of clubs in the area.

The TCA was touted as a place for development as it is close to the city but their is limited access & parking. Most of the surrounding land is parkland.
North hobart oval would have been prime for expansion when the old buildings on the north wing were up for sale. The council were too stupid to take the opportunity so that stuffed that.
The best other option was always KGV Oval in Glenorchy, about 9km from the city centre. It is the same playing size as the MCG, has access by the main road & the Brooker highway & the rail line if they ever do light rail. Lots of parking in the area, Elwick race track, DEC parking, showgrounds etc etc.
But the powers that be chose Boot park. A bloody dumb stupid decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back