Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Saturday 2 April

Melbourne v Brisbane (MCG, 12.40pm AEDT)
Adelaide v Fremantle (Adelaide Oval, 2.10pm local / 2.40pm AEDT)

Both games will be live on 7/7mate, 7plus, Fox Footy, Kayo and afl.com.au

Last edited:
Adelaide v Fremantle is a matchup with potential to scale great heights but, so far, hasn't delivered much. 2018 was the one meeting that looked like it could've gone either way (the only year both sides failed to finish top 4). Historical h2h: Crows have 2-0 records in both WA and NT, while Freo are 1-0 in SA.

Other than a thrashing in 2019, Melbourne and Brisbane have always had memorable games against each other. Dees have triumphed in the last 4 encounters, which of course includes those two most recent wins which hinged on Greta Bodey's after-the-siren shots falling metres short. And for the very little it's worth: Melbourne were undefeated at the MCG in the exhibition era (played twice v Bulldogs, once v Lions).

I kinda sense the opposite will happen this weekend, with the better contest to unfold in Adelaide. Haven't bothered tipping all season though and won't start now--no point due to volatile player availability plus, also in this case, the unknown of how teams are going to fare coming off breaks of varying length.

It will be interesting to see the crowd that turns out at the MCG for the Melbourne v Brisbane game.
I am thinking 10-15k max, with only the bottom tier of the stadium opened.

AFLW Preliminary Final: Melbourne v Brisbane Lions (MCG)
Sydney 12.30pm live on 7mate and 7plus
Melbourne 12.30pm live on Channel 7 and 7plus
Brisbane 11.30am live on 7mate and 7plus
Adelaide 12.00pm live on Channel 7 and 7plus
Perth 9.30am live on 7mate and 7plus, 10.00am live on Channel 7 and 7plus

AFLW Preliminary Final: Adelaide v Fremantle (Adelaide Oval)
Sydney 2.30pm live on 7mate and 7plus
Melbourne 2.30pm live on Channel 7 and 7plus
Brisbane 1.30pm live on 7mate and 7plus
Adelaide 2.00pm live on Channel 7 and 7plus
Perth 11.30am live on 7mate and 7plus

Timeline of previous MCG appearances, L-R: Bates, Paxman & D Pearce in 2013; Bates, Harris & D Pearce in 2015; Hodder, Hanks, Koenen, L Pearce, Anderson, Harris, Bates & D Pearce in 2016.

aflwmcggames.jpg

Figures that Brisbane play a much cleaner and faster brand than in previous years, and it leads to their undoing in the sloppy conditions. Melbourne with far too much inside mid depth in a game that hinged on clearances, but ultimately a bit lucky to have their shaky last 6 or so minutes not cost them!

Didn't want another Crows-Lions GF at Adelaide Oval so soon. The two remaining possible match-ups both look good to me, though I guess I'd like to see Freo finally make it.

Man the Dockers started like they had the lead boots on. Despite the late charge in Q2, I think this game would already be over if Phillips was in the mood but she was unnecessarily hesitant to snap a few from the pocket that I think she could've slotted.

Sodas has been calling AFLW since its inception so for him to not know Kara Antonio used to be Kara Donnellan is a bit astounding.

Free. I think the timeslot and overcast/wet weather were factors. The AFL would have been hoping for 10k minimum.
That’s a terrible outcome then, given it’s a home prelim final. Maybe the Mcg isn’t the place to being playing these games then, with or without free tickets.
A genuine follow up question, who pays the not so insignificant costs of opening up a giant stadium like the G for 6000 fans (incredibly generous given what I saw on tv)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A genuine follow up question, who pays the not so insignificant costs of opening up a giant stadium like the G for 6000 fans (incredibly generous given what I saw on tv)?
Cricket Australia pay for it. What a dumb question.

Some interesting umpiring in the lead-up to that last Crows goal. A Freo player tackled off the ball, and then somehow the Freo player that gets pushed square in the back in the goal square infringed her opponent?

Worst umpiring decision I've seen this year. Adelaide player pushes Freo player in the back and then somehow wins the free kick 5m out. Gutless commentators um and ahh and know that it was a shocking decision but just sigh and say well she's got a shot on goal. Absolutely disgraceful decision.

Worst umpiring decision I've seen this year. Adelaide player pushes Freo player in the back and then somehow wins the free kick 5m out. Gutless commentators um and ahh and know that it was a shocking decision but just sigh and say well she's got a shot on goal. Absolutely disgraceful decision.
agreed - to be fair though Freo got the rub of the green for the most part of the game

So it was the pretty typical Melbourne narrowly over Brisbane and Adelaide fairly comfortably over Fremantle, no switcheroo unlike what I thought might happen. Misleading stats sheet in both games, however.

Why? Given the large cost, why not ask the question as to who is paying for it given no one turned up/it was a 100% subsidised event
Either the answer is obvious and the question doesn't need to be asked.

Or you're really that clueless, in which case you can't claim to know it's "100% subsidised".

The AFL would have been hoping for 10k minimum.
It's nice to have hopes and dreams. But as far as reasonable expectations go, the Bulldogs v Brisbane Grand Final drew 7k. In 2018. And the Carlton v Fremantle prelim drew 7k. In 2019.

Given the current climate, today's attendance at the MCG (which exceeded the AO crowd by about a thousand) was better than par. And it would've drawn less than 2k if it was at Casey Fields, I'm sure of that.

And it would've drawn less than 2k if it was at Casey Fields, I'm sure of that.
Why? Regular season games have been drawing more than that. This was a Preliminary Final, surely there has to be some level of increased interest?

Why? Regular season games have been drawing more than that. This was a Preliminary Final, surely there has to be some level of increased interest?
Because, for starters, it's a hole and the worst place to be/get to on a crappy weather day.

Secondly, attendances at Casey Fields this year have been 1217, 1124, 787, 1408 and 1309. And for whatever potential interest there can be for finals, it is certainly counterbalanced by supporters having their time and attention divided by the men's season getting underway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back