Play Nice First transgender player in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come a woman has never been drafted to the AFL?
None at this stage but the way the game is going it's quite possible in 10-20 years time that a women will be drafted. I am not trying to be smart either it could happen. If women had been drafted in the 70's-80's they would have been stackin them 6 feet high at the Morgue.

So many people have no ****ing clue what political correctness actually is. What a shit and tedious thread.

It's not a blanket statement you can answer

Some may be stronger, but is that an advantage? Majak Daw doesn't dominate though im sure he'd be stronger than most

Some may be faster, but Lewis Jetta has been very inconsistent despite his speed advantage over most

Not the best example but pretty certain id get towelled up in the VWFL if the ball wasnt kicked on my headand i sat in the goalsquare - id be bigger and stronger than 99% but that 'advantage' wouldnt equate dominance

Why ban performance enhancing drugs then either?

I mean someone could take performance enhancing drugs and still be shit, therefore performance enhancing drugs aren't unfair.

That is essentially the argument you are making.

None at this stage but the way the game is going it's quite possible in 10-20 years time that a women will be drafted. I am not trying to be smart either it could happen. If women had been drafted in the 70's-80's they would have been stackin them 6 feet high at the Morgue.
Will never happen.

I mean someone could take performance enhancing drugs and still be shit, therefore performance enhancing drugs aren't unfair.

I'll accept that point - there is a process of 'equalization' that is required for it to be accepted by anyone - no one is saying otherwise - where that line is drawn is not knownby me and still contested by many -

This is actually an interesting example but performance enhancing drugs are banned due to an accepted view that they can and do change someone's physiology.

Trans Women also have amended physiology due to HRT. Weirdly enough there are heaps of testosterone doping matters now! Your point, which actually was a good response to the quote you were quoting, could actually be used to argue the other way - that is that a person's physiology can be amended to resemble characteristics of the "other gender"

...and the right is just so respectful in their discourse as well. :rolleyes:

Look most people are centre left or centre right and really aren't very far away on many topics. It's the far right and far left who suck up all the oxygen and get the headlines and now characterise the political debate but in no way represent the majority's views.

This debate has been going on in sport for a long time and it's a tricky one but there's a point where, if someone is legally defined as a man or a woman then that would need to be respected so they are not discriminated against. Those who don't identify either way are tricky and I'm not sure of the answer on that one. I'd be interested on the views of those who are affected by that scenario.

If I become legally defined as a horse can I run in the Melbourne Cup?

She would be above average size for the average man. She would tower over me. I wouldn't blame a few of the girls for being a tad uncomfortable, especially if she throws her weight around or dominates. This isn't a reflection on Hannah as a person, just in the context off sport, which is supposed to be a level playing field.

I dont know about that. Someone like Katie Brennan at CHF would be a distinct advantage on some of the spuds running around at the moment. And it would be alot easier on the eye too.

Katie Brennan wouldn't get a game of A grade ammos or country league.

The differences between men and women in contact sports like AFL are vast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How come a woman has never been drafted to the AFL?

Everyone recognises that the best men in a sport have physical advantages over the best women. Serena Williams would be uncompetitive against Roger Federer. But not every male is capable of playing sport better than every women. So while it is impossible for a women to be drafted into the AFL there are a lot of males out there who would fail to be drafted into the AFLW competition.

Best male athletes > best female athletes
Worst male athletes > worst female athletes
Best female athletes > worst male athletes

If the transgender female was an average or even lousy male athlete then there is a good chance they won't stand out in a women's competition. The main issue centres around elite male athletes becoming transgender women because in that set of circumstances there would likely be an advantage. Naturally those cases are extremely rare.

Given Trasnwomen have less testostone than women could this be argued to support trans women involvement in the AFLW?

Not quite. An acute, short term case of lower testosterone does not come even remotely close to reversing the years upon years of extremely high testosterone (especially during the important years of pubertal development).

An entire generation has been raised thinking there is no difference between the sexes.

I'm part of that generation and it completely bemuses me. How hard is it for people to understand that not everyone is equal at everything?

A man doesn't have the same talents as a woman.
A person of Asian descent is more likely to have some traits while the person of an African descent is more likely to have other traits.
A disabled person is, by definition, unable to do all tasks that an otherwise "healthy" person can.

Everyone is different, but it doesn't matter that we are; we should treat people the same. Some people seem to have this belief that acknowledging objective differences somehow prevents us from being equally kind and respectful to everyone.

Is there any recent examples of a man competing in a sport and then becoming a women and competing in the same sport ?

If there was no advantage you would expect to see them perform at a similar level as a women as they did as a man.

Eg a male tennis player thats ranked 200 would still only be ranked 200 when playing as a women.

Renee Richards (although it was ages ago) for example, only won 2 pro tennis matches as a man in his prime and yet was able to get to no19 in the world at age 47 as a women. That suggests a considerable advantage.
There is a cyclists and kayaker in the States and Professor Joanna Harper a trans athlete has conducted studies on trans athletes pre and post hormone treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back