Health & Fitness Fitness/Sport Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if your goal is health oriented rather than performance.

Bodyfat % isn't a great measure of health, it's more an indicator of being at a sufficient level of calorie deficit, also (for me at least) it's about having a health lifestyle as opposed to an acute goal number. Most people who lose weight as a goal in and of itself will put it back on from memory.

Bodyfat % isn't a great measure of health, it's more an indicator of being at a sufficient level of calorie deficit, also (for me at least) it's about having a health lifestyle as opposed to an acute goal number. Most people who lose weight as a goal in and of itself will put it back on from memory.

In terms of a dexa scan and fat that lives around your organs, it definitely is a measure of health. Some people have chronic back issues etc that makes it hard to have a goal of running a certain distance or squatting a certain amount.

Visceral fat is 100% a strong indicator of general physical health.
If I could pick a handful of things to measure/track for the average Joe.
- visceral fat
- hip:waist ratio
- blood pressure
- resting heart rate
The visceral fat is the only somewhat costly one.
The others you can do yourself at home.

Has anyone here got into the belt squats? My new addiction. Quad gains await...
I haven't but it looks a good way to avoid loading your upper body which is a good thing.

I have been struggling with sciatica which has originated from a minor back injury when I was doing heavy back squats and I lost my form trying to get the last rep out and so have been trying to take some of the load off my back so have been doing sumo squats, single leg bulgarian split squats, lunges, weighted step ups etc. Even putting a band around your shins and widening the stance makes it a bit trickier and less weight on the back is required.

Great job. Don't get disheartened when it slows down (which it will)
I’ve set certain goals which I thought where not too crazy, plan to get to 90 by feb 1st and then 80 by June but I’m not as worried about that last one if it doesn’t happen as I feel between 85 and 80 should be my target weight going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a great effort.
I got a big wake up call when I went to the shopping centre and the stuff in the food court, saw one of my go to meals at hungry jacks the ultimate double whopper and was horrified at the kjs it had, one small meal was more kJ intake than I’ve had in a whole day for this entire month

Not hard to wonder why I was gaining weight so easily, settled for 6 nuggets, small chips and a water from Maccas which was incredibly the best option I could find haha

I got a big wake up call when I went to the shopping centre and the stuff in the food court, saw one of my go to meals at hungry jacks the ultimate double whopper and was horrified at the kjs it had, one small meal was more kJ intake than I’ve had in a whole day for this entire month

Not hard to wonder why I was gaining weight so easily, settled for 6 nuggets, small chips and a water from Maccas which was incredibly the best option I could find haha
I just googled it. 1200 calories. Throw in a coke and fries and you would be up around 1700 - 1800 in a meal. That is insane!

It’s pretty easy to consume 2000cal in a sitting from Maccas, KFC etc
large double 1/4er pounder meal with a thick shake is ~1800.
throw in some nuggets and you’re up around 2100.
if you were keen and went a full pounder + fries and shake you’d land around 2300-2400 cal in one meal

Why are DOMS a thing?
they suck! Quads/ glutes?

I got them so badly when I jumped back in (after a decade off) that I had to take voltaren to sleep! I struggled to get in and out of my car for two days. The second and third days were even worse than the first day after. All I did was body-weight squats and lunges!

they suck! Quads/ glutes?

I got them so badly when I jumped back in (after a decade off) that I had to take voltaren to sleep! I struggled to get in and out of my car for two days. The second and third days were even worse than the first day after. All I did was body-weight squats and lunges!

Knowing I'd had a solid break I chose to mix it up and not smash myself in regards to weights and reps.

So I ran 5km (which was a struggle), then went to the bench press (only as high as 30kg), shoulder press (20kg max), rower machine (i went hard at) and finally over to the tricep curls that I did quite easily again.

Well....for some reason it's the triceps that are worst. My right arm I can barely move without some sort of pain. I can't raise my coffee to my mouth with my right hand ffs, so the left it is.

Everything else is just stiff.

Everything else is just stiff.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back