Opinion Five Best & Worst Moments as a Carlton Fan

Remove this Banner Ad

BAD: The day Peter Motley was involved in a car crash that ended his career; he was my favourite player at the time and i was gutted for weeks.
Sorry to intrude

33 years ago today :(

Grew up a Sturt supporter so saw the best of him.

Worst
1 1993 GF it still hurts
2 1994 semi against Geelong at Waverley. Devastated I thought that was the end of the era. Straight sets after the debacle of 93 was nasty plus having to be at a freezing Waverley.
3 1988 Prelim final no way we should have lost to Melbourne.
4 The 2000’s
5 The 2010’s

Best

1 1995 GF just a dream all year
2 1987 Gf
3 1999 prelim
4 1982 I was young but was at the game.
5 The Judd game great to be optimistic again.

keep going......
1 thing i remember is a game vs Centrals at Unley oval.

2 teams enter the field and do the customary pre-game " jog as a pack " , the 2 packs converge......BANG Mots goes down , massive scuffle.

Proceeds to get up and jag the 3 Magarey votes

Sorry to intrude

33 years ago today :(

Grew up a Sturt supporter so saw the best of him.

No intrusion bro; I’m so glad he was honoured in the safl; he was terrific for us too.

He got injured but came back and was really finding his feet...no doubt he would of been a premiership player and could of been anything...a real gem of a player.

Last edited:
No intrusion bro; I’m so glad he was honoured in the safl; he was terrific for us too.

He got injured but came back and was really finding his feet...no doubt he would of been a premiership player and could of been anything...a real gem of a player.

yours truly with the great man at a family day
29683897_10155470120953527_1106866751374300577_n.jpg

could you compare him to any players today?
Always reminds me of a quicker more skilful version of Rhys Jones.

Good in the air but was quick & skilful enough to really impact on the spread with run & carry also, particularly of half back where he launched many counter attacks once we won possession back.

Last edited:
My five best would be hard as I have seen us win 8 flags, but I guess 70, 72, 79, 81 & 95 would be the best of those. Honorable mention to '99 prelim. Hoping that some of those older ones are superseded in the years to come.

1993 G/F loss to * was bad, knowing Juddy's career was over when he went down at the G, seeing us lose knockout finals in consecutive years in Brisbane (despite 2.2 from Cameron Cloke) & Sydney (don't play on Dennis) live, a horrible day at the Gabba when J.B. kicked 10 on Waite in Pagan's last game spring to mind for the bad column.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best;

1. Watching '95 GF with my newborn son in my arms
2. 79, 81, 82 flags and our dominance over the Pies through that period
3. Meeting Jezza, Doully and Wallsy in the rooms in '78
4. Kouta destroying Carey and Norf in 2000 at PP
5. Fev kicking 8? to bring us back to a win over * after being about 8 goals down at 1/2 time can't remember the year.

Honourable mention - Jo Bailey knocked a drink out of my hand at the Conti in Sorrento one night, turned around, touched my elbow, apologised and went and bought me a couple of drinks......flying high that night

Worst;
1. Motleys accident
2. Norf beating us by over 100 pts
3. Saints beating us by over 100 pts
4. The fact that * is still in the AFL
5. Meghan Gale dumping Andy Lee, hooking up with Hammer (which was good) then Hammer getting traded to Richmond, bad

Honourable mentions - Aaron Hammil dummy spit and going to the Saints, Jezza to the Saints

Best:
- Going to Princes Park as a kid. My favourite place in the world.
- Being at the ‘95 GF, watching the replay when we got home and going to PP the next day.
- Being at the ‘99 Prelim. Pure euphoria.
- ‘93 2nd Semi. After being pretty poor for the first four years I was massively into football we’d made the GF.
- Making the ‘13 finals then beating Richmond the next week. Amazing atmosphere.

Worst:
- ‘93 GF. Will never get over it.
- ‘88 Prelim (first time I cried over football), ‘94 and ‘00 Qualifying Finals. I loathe Melbourne.
- ‘09 Elim Final. I refuse to return to Brisbane.
- 2002/03 seasons. Never thought I’d see Carlton play with such apathy.
- Last game at PP. The final piece of evidence that the Carlton I grew up with was gone forever.

Worst

1. 1973 GF. Easily worst. I was gutted, and it started a 5 year grim period.
2. 1993 GF. Yuk.
3. Jezza leaving.
4. Walls leaving.
5. 2002 sanctions.

Best

1. 1979 Premiership - end of the 70s heebie jeebies.
2. The other 7 flags in my lifetime.
3. The record score game in 1969.
4. The record 2nd quarter game at Windy Hill in 1975.
5. Judd's first game for Carlton. Proved to be a false dawn, but at the time it really looked like... We're baaaack.
6. Fev's 8 goals in just over a half to beat * after trailing by 48 points in 2007.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BEST.

1979 GF.... As a junior member about to enter G with my crappy nose bleed seats and a dear old Salvation Army lady
pulled me aside to my protests at the time telling her " I had tickets ".
"Not as good as these ones "she told me and swapped mine for seats on fence 10m away from Harme's punch !! :thumbsu:
( I donate to Salvos every game I go to )

Circa 1976.... Behind stand at Lygon Street end with other little kids waiting for a ball to come over.
Finally got one and put it under my arm and ran all the way to Brunswick st. My first real footy... A Ross Faulkner
that I slept with and dubbined endlessly.

2013 QF with my then 7y/o son telling me "dad, this is the greatest day of my life !

Malcolm Blights goal (not directly after :cry: )....Yeah I know... but he was my favorite non Blues player and it will
go down as one of the most Legendary moments in history.....And I was there with a kanga supporting school mate.
He is saying "We have lost, we have lost ".......I remember saying...LOOK WHO HAS IT !!!! LOOK WHO HAS IT!!!! (time heals)

1970 GF... As a primary school kid that lived for footy it was the beginning of the Great Adventure

Sorry....gotta sneak in a sixth....1987 Prelim , travelling through outback QLD with with no coverage (bloody Rugby) I rang my now
departed brother in Melbourne and getting him to hold the phone to the radio and catching up/discussing game at each break.
Well worth the outrageous cost of STD calls in those days :thumbsu:

WORST.

Jezza leaving.

The Motley tragedy

Whitten Oval when Arceri kicked our only goal!!! ( Even though a young SOS played a blinder )

Neal Daniher beating us single handed in time on at Princes Park.

(then getting back to my LJ Torana which was illegally parked in Melb. Uni grounds having had nuclear proof
adhesive paper covering whole windshield attached telling me not to park there!!
Took for ever to get enough off to see ! :straining: )

Combine Malthouse, Pagan and Fev/Waite leaving in a bundle.... Throw in 1980,1986 !

Also let's not forget Malcolm Blights goal... :oops:

PS....Drove my lovely 240k all the way to that s**t hole Footy Park to see us get smashed and some arse hole
crow eater dragging a coin all the way along it seeing the VIC. plates

Last edited:
Too many good days to list - personally attended 5 premierships but '72 and '79 stand out.

- Essendon Prelim '99 - Kouta's match !!

-2013 Elimination final win versus Richmond - 30-odd points down so decided to go for a surf. When I came back in we are only a couple of points behind and then I couldn't stand to listen to it. Paced the streets until I knew the game was over.

Worst days

- One of the worst days was Jason Akermanis in 2006 saying he'd play at any other club except Carlton - that's how low we were and was humiliating.

- Last years defeat by Essendon and Crippa's reaction after the game. Honestly don't think I've ever felt as bad being a Carlton supporter that day - it almost broke me.

-Brisbane elimination final 2009 - 5 goals up last quarter. Was at a 21st and had to just keep refreshing the scores on my phone and seemed every time I did Brisbane had kicked another goal.

Last edited:
This is tough, and i'm going to narrow it down to events in my lifetime that I actually have a good recollection of:

Best

1995 GF
1999 Prelim
2013 EF vs Richmond
2011 EF vs Richmond
Judd coming to Carlton

Worst

Salary cap cheating and penalties
Final game at Princes Park
The Malthouse and Pagan Years
All the wooden spoons
Peter Motley

Immediately thought of Peter Motley's accident as the worst thing I remember and everything else seemed to pale into insignificance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back