Footy Showdown: Devlog [ New Screenshot ]

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly disagree with one of the commenters, the 2D animation works really well for Aussie Footy. Especially for you being an indie dev, surely that's easier on you so you can focus on the gameplay. But if you ever did transition in the future, go with a 2.5D look and an art style, instead of 3D photo realism because it's not worth the effort. The AI I really like, because the players seem to be moving in very specific positions like in real football. You're kicking Wicked Witch's butt there. But I think the animations could be improved on a lot more. The players move very weightless and the ball doesn't really feel have much weight to it. I remember seeing the grubber kick animation from your other video and I think thought that looked great, though. That looked like it had the right physics to it. Also, I think the bounce of the ball in the middle should go anyway, like AFL 98-99.
You're absolutely right on the art point. 3D as an indie is not a good idea at all. Look the trouble past AFL games have had.

The player positioning you noticed is probably at the top of importance in our game. Kicking, marking, handballing and tackling are already done. It's the positioning (in my opinion) that makes or brakes a footy game. Most tend to be cluster*s of players around the ball (Live 2011 an exception, though not perfect either) and that is what we want to avoid.

I agree with the player movement, we are always refining it, and it will be tweaked probably all the way until near release.

Also, yes the centre bounces will have the ball go up at random points so it is not straight up in the centre all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the style. I'm always firing up Aussie rules footy on the nes (emulator) so really looking forward to this.

Last edited:
I was also wondering if progress had stalled because of AFL 23. It would be interesting to see the difference between the 2.

I was also wondering if progress had stalled because of AFL 23. It would be interesting to see the difference between the 2.
I had some issues last year with the PC blowing up and changes at work that didn't allow me to have much time on it.

And yes I'd be lying if I said knowing AFL 23 being made by bigant hasn't slowed motivation as well, you know, with the other AFL games being rubbish I thought that might help with interest in mine even though it is not intended to compete with them. Now AFL 23 is coming out, basically our dream developer and possibly the most feature complete, great AFL video game on the horizon, who would even be interested in mine then when AFL 23 will, hopefully be the beginning of something special for AFL games.

Still clicking away on my game though and I've sort of had to rethink now what the game is. Instead of a 2d fun AFL simulation, I'm thinking now to go the route of an AFL NBA Jam type game to give it a point of difference. Focus on the fun aspects of footy and exaggerate them. Make it a game that's a pick up and play with mates have fun and for the real in depth experience, that can be AFL 23

I had some issues last year with the PC blowing up and changes at work that didn't allow me to have much time on it.

And yes I'd be lying if I said knowing AFL 23 being made by bigant hasn't slowed motivation as well, you know, with the other AFL games being rubbish I thought that might help with interest in mine even though it is not intended to compete with them. Now AFL 23 is coming out, basically our dream developer and possibly the most feature complete, great AFL video game on the horizon, who would even be interested in mine then when AFL 23 will, hopefully be the beginning of something special for AFL games.

Still clicking away on my game though and I've sort of had to rethink now what the game is. Instead of a 2d fun AFL simulation, I'm thinking now to go the route of an AFL NBA Jam type game to give it a point of difference. Focus on the fun aspects of footy and exaggerate them. Make it a game that's a pick up and play with mates have fun and for the real in depth experience, that can be AFL 23
Why wasn't the game released earlier? Were you unsatisfied with the AI or something else?

Hope you find the motivation to stick with it. No guarantee the Bigant game won't disappoint again.
Often the simpler indie games have a number of appealing factors over the AAA high-budget alternatives. I couldn't count how many times I've seen a popular and much loved franchise get worn down and ruined by big publishers, only for an indie alternative to pop up to carry on the legacy of what made the original games good.

The NES footy game is still remembered fondly, a modern take on that with the contemporary improvements and conveniences could still do well as a more accessible and less expensive bit of fun for people crying out for more footy games.

Why wasn't the game released earlier? Were you unsatisfied with the AI or something else?
The games not finished. And yes the AI i have paid particular attention to and getting it right and at a stage where I'm happy with has been challenging. You don't realise how easy you can break a game balance wise with simple adjustments to AI. Add in the different player stats and players can take advantage so balancing that too feel fair and also work can be difficult

Hope you find the motivation to stick with it. No guarantee the Bigant game won't disappoint again.
Often the simpler indie games have a number of appealing factors over the AAA high-budget alternatives. I couldn't count how many times I've seen a popular and much loved franchise get worn down and ruined by big publishers, only for an indie alternative to pop up to carry on the legacy of what made the original games good.

The NES footy game is still remembered fondly, a modern take on that with the contemporary improvements and conveniences could still do well as a more accessible and less expensive bit of fun for people crying out for more footy games.
Definitely and if my game ever released I'd hope it's seen in a similar vein, not a replacement for the big ones but a fun alternative

The games not finished. And yes the AI i have paid particular attention to and getting it right and at a stage where I'm happy with has been challenging. You don't realise how easy you can break a game balance wise with simple adjustments to AI. Add in the different player stats and players can take advantage so balancing that too feel fair and also work can be difficult
The AI I'd imagine would be the biggest challenge to get right.

The AI I'd imagine would be the biggest challenge to get right.
I've pulled my hair out so many times trying to get players to position properly. In my game in open space, rather than an opponent b-line for the ball carrier, they will first try to corral and when they get close enough, attempt a tackle. Straight forward right? They need to corral at the correct angle stay ahead of the ball carrier all while closing space. That's caused some headaches. Still perfecting that atm

I actually preferred the direction you were going in, with it being a simulation with a pixel art style. It was quite aesthetically pleasing. I'd just do things Big Ant aren't doing with AFL 23, because they're missing a bunch of things, like a collision system, gang tackling, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back