Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys' defence is hilarious (from Facebook I think):

Hi all, thought I would post this to provide some clarity as to the events that unfolded last night. Firstly, let me be clear, no shoe was deliberately thrown at a horse during any race, & I have the utmost respect for the racing community and all those involved. It was simply unfortunate timing. I was having a light hearted wrestle with a young teammate, oblivious to what was happening around us. What transpired was a shoe being thrown which unbeknown to us was unfortunately at the same time the horses had made their way around the course. Granted, it was stupid to start with but rightly or wrongly, I show care in ways others may not understand. I would like to sincerely apologise to the owners, trainers and especially the drivers involved as to the possible worst case scenario that could have eventuated. Security footage of the event will support what actually happened. Media being media, things can be misconstrued rather easily. I also wish to apologise to my football club & to anyone else that took offence to what happened, it was not my intention and was quite simply boys being boys. Thanks to all those that know my character and the support I have already received. Lastly, I will be making a donation to the ‘Off the Track’ foundation which undertake great work in the industry here in WA. Appreciate hearing me out

Clearly innocent... Last time I had a wrestle with someone a couple of shoes also went flying quite a few metres, with a delay between them and they also landed at exactly the same direction and distance each time. If there is one thing you aren't paying attention to at the races, it's when the horses are racing... nobody ever notices them. It's science people, people wrestle, shoes go flying, horses that nobody is watching get put in considerable danger. #barefootisthewaytogo

His story is so far fetched. Of course boys being boys is a reasonable reason to forgive all mishaps!

Last edited:
Rhys' defence is hilarious (from Facebook I think):

Hi all, thought I would post this to provide some clarity as to the events that unfolded last night. Firstly, let me be clear, no shoe was deliberately thrown at a horse during any race, & I have the utmost respect for the racing community and all those involved. It was simply unfortunate timing. I was having a light hearted wrestle with a young teammate, oblivious to what was happening around us. What transpired was a shoe being thrown which unbeknown to us was unfortunately at the same time the horses had made their way around the course. Granted, it was stupid to start with but rightly or wrongly, I show care in ways others may not understand. I would like to sincerely apologise to the owners, trainers and especially the drivers involved as to the possible worst case scenario that could have eventuated. Security footage of the event will support what actually happened. Media being media, things can be misconstrued rather easily. I also wish to apologise to my football club & to anyone else that took offence to what happened, it was not my intention and was quite simply boys being boys. Thanks to all those that know my character and the support I have already received. Lastly, I will be making a donation to the ‘Off the Track’ foundation which undertake great work in the industry here in WA. Appreciate hearing me out

Clearly innocent... Last time I had a wrestle with someone a couple of shoes also went flying quite a few metres, with a delay between them and they also landed at exactly the same direction and distance each time. If there is one thing you aren't paying attention to at the races, it's when the horses are racing... nobody ever notices them. It's science people, people wrestle, shoes go flying, horses that nobody is watching get put in considerable danger. #barefootisthewaytogo

Lol. He want go far in real estate, can’t even lie very well.

“I’ve got the utmost respect for the racing industry, but I just thought I’d have a wrestle while the race was on.”

Poor guy, talk about a Weekend of hell.
Probably done a bit of cash at the trots too.
Don't think he was betting much but I heard he lost a really expensive pair of shoes.

Latest news is he is stable and the passenger was fine. He's an absolute douche of the highest order but that is good news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a star Lachie Neale is!

Exactly the sort of engine room champ the Lions needed.

Solid article on Chris Mayne

Link https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-28/twelve-years-in-mayne-man-still-aiming-to-improve

You can rely on the Mayne man

Ben Collins (AFL Media)

Mar 28, 2019 9:16AM

If you want a job done, ask a busy person – someone like Chris Mayne.

The Collingwood veteran is among the AFL's busiest players, juggling commitments in different spheres.

Most public, of course, is Mayne's role as a defensive midfielder for the Magpies, and he'll probably get a specific job in the blockbuster against Richmond at the MCG on Thursday.

Outside the AFL, Mayne has another footy gig as a development coach with TAC Cup under-18 team Sandringham Dragons, and will help out on game days when time permits.

A Level 2 coaching graduate, he believes it's critical that a coach be a good people manager and relationship builder who shows genuine care for his players.

Mayne is following the path of many coaches before him by studying to be a teacher. Ideally, when he hangs up his boots he'll move seamlessly into coaching. A secondary aspiration is to become a PE teacher who oversees a school's football program.

"You've always got to work towards the next moment and the next thing," the 30-year-old told AFL.com.au.

For the past 11 years, Mayne has also been an ambassador for the Starlight Children's Foundation, a charity close to his heart given he was been born with a cleft palate and underwent multiple operations as a child.

"Seeing sick kids reminds you that footy's not everything. Life can be very cruel sometimes," he said.

The former Docker married fellow West Australian Britt Nicholas in Melbourne just 20 days after the Pies' gutting Grand Final loss to West Coast.

The wedding helped ease the pain of the defeat ever so slightly.

"Last year was a very exciting and fruitful year," said Mayne, who reignited his career with Collingwood last season.

"Not only was it a surreal feeling to be part of such a great club and play consistent footy throughout the year and build those relationships, but I also got the opportunity to have another crack at a Grand Final, knowing all along that I was also going to get married.

"I'm very lucky to have such an amazing wife who supports me through thick and thin and, more than anything, she guides me in the right direction."

A year earlier, after a deflating first season as a Magpie, Mayne was fighting just to stay on the list after playing the opening three games of 2017 before being banished to the VFL. Keen to transform himself from a forward to a midfielder, he spent the off-season working with veteran fitness guru Bohdan Babijczuk and offsider Dom Trimboli.

This time around Mayne continued the regime even while on his two-week honeymoon split between idyllic Byron Bay and Hamilton Island.

"It's in my nature to just keep working hard. My wife lives every bit of it during the season and pushes me to be my best, so we still hit the gym on our honeymoon," he said.

"You can't take much time off or you'll lose all the hard work you've done."

Three years ago Britt persuaded Mayne to embrace a vegan diet, which he says keeps him lean and aids recovery.

Some teammates have followed his lead by giving up dairy, but Mayne adds: "I don't try to preach to anyone. My attitude is, 'If you like what I'm doing, jump on board.'"

Many fans liked what Mayne did in the Grand Final when he laid a game-high 14 tackles in a typically team-first display.

Playing in Fremantle's 2013 Grand Final loss to Hawthorn proved a good lesson. He gave his all that day but felt he hadn't been consistent enough, so when he got another chance at a flag last year he benefited from simply "staying in the moment".

"(The loss) cut me deep. Everyone was hurting," he said.

"In footy, and life, it's about the next moment. The more you dwell on it, the more it plays a part. We've got some really strong leaders and characters at the club who have looked to the next moment, and that's our 2019 campaign.

"Nothing from last year is going to get us victories this year. We've seen already that if we're not at our best, we'll get beaten. The next opportunity for us to respond is against Richmond."

Now in the third year of a four-year deal, Mayne has added an important defensive element to the Magpies' much-vaunted midfield. He largely credits assistant coaches Robert Harvey (midfield and transition) and Garry Hocking (stoppages), along with skipper Scott Pendlebury and fellow leader and midfielder Taylor Adams, with helping him lift his game to the next level.

"Even though it's my 12th season, there are always things you can improve," he said.

Although Mayne has played all 22 games since round six last year, experience has taught him to take nothing for granted.

"I'm still building trust among my teammates and the coaches. You can't afford to think your seat's safe because there are always younger players pushing up," he said.

He's only three games shy of 200 – a milestone that appeared unlikely a year ago – but in Mayne's mind it's not yet a formality.

"Hopefully I get there – you can't look too far ahead in footy," he said.

Hmm...went vegan about 3 years ago. Isn't that around the same time he lost the ability to kick set shots?

An average player that's certainly got the best out of himself through hard work and determination. Would never have thought he'd make it to 200 AFL games! That alone speaks volumes of his ability to get the most from his ability. I take my hat off to him.

Mayne was a victim of crappy coaching and having an awkward role in his last few years at Freo, but the way Buckley came out and said his drafting was a 'mistake' or something was nasty. That could seriously derail anyone's confidence for goods. Whether you're hired at Harvey Norman or an AFL side, you shouldn't be publicly trashed like that.

He's also always come across as a really decent, normal lad. Keeps his head down, doesn't act like a pillock on the field, doesn't get into trouble off it. I'm sure his personality and empathy and decency could see him become a decent coach.

Really??

He was one of their best against Geelong, was one of their best in the GF too??

Some players will always get the blame in a loss regardless of how they played. Once a whipping boy, always a whipping boy. As SA says it certainly doesn't help when there's a public vote of no confidence from your coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back