Society/Culture Former swim star Daniel Kowalski is the latest elite athlete to reveal he is gay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine line sort of stuff.

IMHO on this board we need to moderate very carefully due to the fact that the subject matter is going to take us places that normally we dont go on Bigfooty.

Outright offensive will still get you kicked - perhaps if MM keeps getting his head handed to him in these debates ...it will allow him to come out

..and see a different opinion (my enter key sticks sometime)

Hahaha moo good one :thumbsu:

When will Ian Thorpe come out....
I'm guessing either when his grand parents die or when his Asian sponsorships dry up.

Clearly he's gay and everyone knows it. He has a BF. He went on holidays with his BF AND his parents. We can only assume his parents know he's gay.

The only rational reason can be his grandparents are homophobes like most people of that age and he has decided to stay in the closet for their sake, or he still has sponsorship in Asia and believes coming out will hurt his earning power.

Steele Sidebottom.

Very good player. Will be a gun. My tip for this year's Anzac medal. I think he will announce himself. My gaydar goes haywire whenever he gets the footy.

I'm guessing either when his grand parents die or when his Asian sponsorships dry up.

Clearly he's gay and everyone knows it. He has a BF. He went on holidays with his BF AND his parents. We can only assume his parents know he's gay.

The only rational reason can be his grandparents are homophobes like most people of that age and he has decided to stay in the closet for their sake, or he still has sponsorship in Asia and believes coming out will hurt his earning power.

But...but...Brazillian chicks are smokin hot.:confused:

Surely not.;)

It's really cool to see some athletes becoming more open about it, when these more successful, athletic guys come out i think it helps dilute some of the silly stereotypes as the OP nicely illustrates.

Still it's not such a big deal in a sport like swimming, i still think it'll be a long time before we see any openly gay football/rugby players :(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Former swim star Daniel Kowalski is the latest elite athlete to reveal he is gay.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good on him.

Now could you tell us whom prior to he, the other latest athletes are that made the revelation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Former swim star Daniel Kowalski is the latest elite athlete to reveal he is gay.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good on him.

Now could you tell us whom prior to he, the other latest athletes are that made the revelation.

The former Welsh Rugby Union captain.

ps Post fail.

some American footballers/Basketballers as well obviously, don't recall any names atm though

At the end of the gay i imagine there are gay people in just about every 'segment' of society, some are more/less open about it. Ideally no one would care and we wouldn't stress so much about what people are attracted to but it'll be awhile before we all get there.

OMIGOD! If our heroes start turning gays then who would we idol worship. It seems that before you start fantasizing about somebody you should know about his sexual preferences.:eek:

Who cares...
You for a start. You opened the thread and posted here.

why do some gay blokes feel as though they have to 'come out'?
1. So they can go about their business like the rest of us. The other option is staying in the closet and sneaking around. I get it, you actually think people like Kowalski can just go out to dinner with his BF and not be in the papers without people asking questions? Some just think it's easy to so "yep, I'm gay. There, done it, let's move on". So when people see him down at the cafe with his BF people immediately think "oh there's Kowalski must be his BF" in the same light someone would go "Oh, there's Colin Sylvia, must be his GF"

2. Some want to push a point. They want gay people to be out and proud. That doesn't mean mincing about like a ballet dancer, but "hey, I'm gay and I'm normal". Generally I don't have a problem with this, but Ian Thorpe gets heavily criticised by the gay community for not coming out. Bit harsh. He would have his reasons.

1. So they can go about their business like the rest of us. The other option is staying in the closet and sneaking around. I get it, you actually think people like Kowalski can just go out to dinner with his BF and not be in the papers without people asking questions? Some just think it's easy to so "yep, I'm gay. There, done it, let's move on". So when people see him down at the cafe with his BF people immediately think "oh there's Kowalski must be his BF" in the same light someone would go "Oh, there's Colin Sylvia, must be his GF"

2. Some want to push a point. They want gay people to be out and proud. That doesn't mean mincing about like a ballet dancer, but "hey, I'm gay and I'm normal". Generally I don't have a problem with this, but Ian Thorpe gets heavily criticised by the gay community for not coming out. Bit harsh. He would have his reasons.

Being gay isn't normal.

You don't have to throw a tanty or hissy fit, bunsen.

I, like most others, would say "There's Daniel Kowalski, geez he was unlucky that Perkins was around otherwise he would have won Olympic gold". I couldn't give

You don't have to throw a tanty or hissy fit, bunsen.
Hardly. You on the otherhand didn't need to jump on your moral high horse. People are interested in people's sexuality without being homophobic so you should get over it.

I, like most others, would say "There's Daniel Kowalski, geez he was unlucky that Perkins was around otherwise he would have won Olympic gold". I couldn't give
:rolleyes: Denial. Just because you'd think this doesn't mean you wouldn't ask yourself who he was with. It's a natural observation.

I saw Dean Polo the other day. I did notice he was with two other dudes. Assumed they were his mates. That's what us humans do - we observe and make educated assumptions.

The guy truly is a legend, completely underrated. He's still the only person in the last 100+ years to medal in the 200m, 400m and 1500m at the same Olympics.
It's what you win that counts. Thorpe, Hackett, Perkins are legends. Kowalski pretty good but I wouldn't say legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back