Strategy Forward formations

Remove this Banner Ad

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread is about ideas to solve our forward line ineptitude. I have played in functioning and non-functioning forward lines. I would break these down into 6 choices and pros cons of each:

Zero as in 0 tall forwards.
This formation relies on fast ball movement, low trajectory kicks and speed. This tactic has never won a premiership but we did use it under Rocket Eade and made prelim finals.
Pros:
Ball gets locked in easily by elite forward pressure.
Team can score heavily without needing a KPF
Cons:
Lack of marking targets makes slow ball movement impossible.

1 Naughton.
This formation relies on 1 Naughton and means that IF the KPF leads up and takes the ball at HHF, then he has to pass off before running forward to provide the ONLY option.
Pros:
Forward pressure is still great (Naughton is elite for a big bloke)
Cons:
Only 1 option on slow plays.
Too easy to defend.

Naughton + 1.
In this scenario we have Naughton with a partner. IF Bruce was fit, we would play this formation. The defenders are split and the KPF can lead up and still have a deep option to kick too.
Pros:
2 options splits the defence.
More potent in the air and promotes faster ball movement.
Cons:
Forward pressure only OK.
Ruck chop out can be provided but reduces scoring potential.

Naughton + 1 + R
Highest scoring offence we ran, when English, Bruce and Naughton played this formation together. Provides multiple aerial threats and splits the defence.
Pros:
Score heavily from big boy ball.
Ball is kicked quickly forward to aerial targets and midfielders have confidence in pulling the trigger.
Cons:
Low forward pressure.
Requires a fast crumber which we don’t have on our list (Weightman is an elite small but not a crumber).

Naughton + 2
Formation plays 2 KPF and Naughton. You say when is this ever going to happen? (No sh!t ). Schache and JUH play high HFF and provide aerial targets up the ground, with JUH and Naughton occasionally swapping.
This formation relies on good leading and marking at HFF and then long kicks. The disadvantage is lack of forward half pressure. But I would counter that it is unlikely we will give up intercept marks and that will provide an equal amount of pressured ball from defenders.
Pros:
Structure and height promoting long kicks.
Aerial threats that need to be covered. Splits the defence OR allows the HFF to dominate and provide frequent i50s.
Cons:
Low forward pressure on loose balls.

Naughton + 2 + R
Really tall formation and would rely on our midfield to kick long and maintain position behind the ball. This would provide good cover for our defence and stretch opponents as few have a 4th tall and IF we provide good separation the kicks should target that 4th tall defender.
Pros:
Aerial power to the max.
Midfield kept in midfield, reducing running.
Forwards can lead into space and have leads honoured more often.
Cons:
Lowest forward pressure.
Forwards have fewer leading options.

At the moment we are playing Naughton + 1. This isn’t working, as the plus 1 isn’t damaging enough or maybe not targeted enough. I suspect it’s a bit of both and that is due to that forward not winning his match up often enough.

At the moment, Melbourne run a modified Naughton +2 +R. This is allowing their midfield to setup a wall behind the ball and kick long to the advantage of their targets. They learn to kick to advantage or the ball gets turned over on their kick. Their disposal is often not up to this but it is their plan.

My preference:
Naughton +2 (Schache, JUH) +R (Sweet). Make our midfielders kick to advantage and form a Melbourne like wall behind the ball. When Bruce comes back he can replace…. Sweet (Schache to provide ruck support). We have the cattle to run this formation and I don’t know why we don’t.

I’d like to make another change. Our fwd line is less of a problem than our backline. I go back to when we won the flag, there were games when opposition sides attacked over and over again and we kept shutting them down until we gained momentum. At the moment we’re too easy to score against when the opposition midfield gets on top. Case in point: first quarter against Geelong. We also allowed Jeremy Cameron, another key fwd to kick 6. The week before we allowed Jack Darling to kick 4. This should sound familiar. Big fwd’s kicking big bags against our key defenders. We are ranked 15th for intercept marks. You can’t win games and turn defence into attack if you’re ranked 15th in this area. We have two defenders in Gardner and O’Brien that are rated below average for 1v1 contests. In fact outside of spoils Gardner is rated below average in every other key statistic. it’s time to strengthen defence and play Naughton where he was recruited to play. At least to see if he is the answer to our defensive issues and see if it would shore up that end of the ground. Who will kick the goals? That’s the question everyone keeps asking. But if we’re rock solid in defence and this helps ours mids, the goals will come. We’re predictable at the moment. We kick long and hope Naughton takes a miracle mark. He’s actually rated below average for marks inside 50 despite how good of mark he is. And he’s kicking for goal let’s us down at crucial moments in games. That’s not a key fwd. shache, Bruce, Jamarra, weightman, English, Wallis, McNeil, Bont, Dunkley, we can manufacture a fwd line. We’ll be less predictable. David King spoke about this and I believe he has a good point. If you don’ttry something then we won’t learn anything and the season will be over and we’ll be looking to recruit a key defender and I’m not convinced with our salary cap and no one really on the market we’ll find one. Send Naughton back. See what happens.

I’d like to make another change. Our fwd line is less of a problem than our backline. I go back to when we won the flag, there were games when opposition sides attacked over and over again and we kept shutting them down until we gained momentum. At the moment we’re too easy to score against when the opposition midfield gets on top. Case in point: first quarter against Geelong. We also allowed Jeremy Cameron, another key fwd to kick 6. The week before we allowed Jack Darling to kick 4. This should sound familiar. Big fwd’s kicking big bags against our key defenders. We are ranked 15th for intercept marks. You can’t win games and turn defence into attack if you’re ranked 15th in this area. We have two defenders in Gardner and O’Brien that are rated below average for 1v1 contests. In fact outside of spoils Gardner is rated below average in every other key statistic. it’s time to strengthen defence and play Naughton where he was recruited to play. At least to see if he is the answer to our defensive issues and see if it would shore up that end of the ground. Who will kick the goals? That’s the question everyone keeps asking. But if we’re rock solid in defence and this helps ours mids, the goals will come. We’re predictable at the moment. We kick long and hope Naughton takes a miracle mark. He’s actually rated below average for marks inside 50 despite how good of mark he is. And he’s kicking for goal let’s us down at crucial moments in games. That’s not a key fwd. shache, Bruce, Jamarra, weightman, English, Wallis, McNeil, Bont, Dunkley, we can manufacture a fwd line. We’ll be less predictable. David King spoke about this and I believe he has a good point. If you don’ttry something then we won’t learn anything and the season will be over and we’ll be looking to recruit a key defender and I’m not convinced with our salary cap and no one really on the market we’ll find one. Send Naughton back. See what happens.

That is a discussion for the Naughton to defence thread.

It would turn us into a Melbourne style team though and I quite like Zigging while they are Zagging.

But I do see your point, that all my options have Naughton in them.

Last edited:

My preferred configuration with our current players available is Naughton + 2 (Schache and JUH). I would be keeping this configuration the whole game and using someone else to ruck.

JUH I want played purely for development. He doesn't help us win games right now.
Schache can have his good moments, but he has his drawbacks as we all know.

If you looked at most clubs' best 3 KPFs, we'd have to be close to the bottom in terms of quality (without Bruce). I think this is why we're setting up the way we are.... the quality isn't there so I somewhat disagree with your statement that "We have the cattle to run this formation".

Sweet is useless forward. You could make the case to bring him in a 50/50 ruck or #1 ruck, but any set up where he is playing majority forward is a losing one IMO.

Naughton + 1 + ruck (English)

It’s the one formation we know works, and works well. I understand Bruce was that +1 last year and he hasn’t been available, and reportedly English isn’t keen on playing as the forward/ruck. But when Bruce comes back I think it’ll be ludicrous if the MC don’t at least try Sweet ruck, English ruck/forward and Bruce/Naughton KPF.

I suspect it won’t happen and we might not see that formation until JUH and/or Darcy are ready in the coming years and can contribute, or we pick up another ruck/forward. When Bruce is ready this year it’ll be Naughton + 1 (Bruce) and English rucking most of the game with Bruce/Keath chop out. Maybe we’ll see some Naughton + 2 (Bruce and JUH/Khamis/Schache) but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Whichever option is played this year, my concern is more on who fills out the forward line from a medium/small forward perspective. We’re pretty light on there imo.

This thread is about ideas to solve our forward line ineptitude. I have played in functioning and non-functioning forward lines. I would break these down into 6 choices and pros cons of each:

Zero as in 0 tall forwards.
This formation relies on fast ball movement, low trajectory kicks and speed. This tactic has never won a premiership but we did use it under Rocket Eade and made prelim finals.
Pros:
Ball gets locked in easily by elite forward pressure.
Team can score heavily without needing a KPF
Cons:
Lack of marking targets makes slow ball movement impossible.

1 Naughton.
This formation relies on 1 Naughton and means that IF the KPF leads up and takes the ball at HHF, then he has to pass off before running forward to provide the ONLY option.
Pros:
Forward pressure is still great (Naughton is elite for a big bloke)
Cons:
Only 1 option on slow plays.
Too easy to defend.

Naughton + 1.
In this scenario we have Naughton with a partner. IF Bruce was fit, we would play this formation. The defenders are split and the KPF can lead up and still have a deep option to kick too.
Pros:
2 options splits the defence.
More potent in the air and promotes faster ball movement.
Cons:
Forward pressure only OK.
Ruck chop out can be provided but reduces scoring potential.

Naughton + 1 + R
Highest scoring offence we ran, when English, Bruce and Naughton played this formation together. Provides multiple aerial threats and splits the defence.
Pros:
Score heavily from big boy ball.
Ball is kicked quickly forward to aerial targets and midfielders have confidence in pulling the trigger.
Cons:
Low forward pressure.
Requires a fast crumber which we don’t have on our list (Weightman is an elite small but not a crumber).

Naughton + 2
Formation plays 2 KPF and Naughton. You say when is this ever going to happen? (No sh!t ). Schache and JUH play high HFF and provide aerial targets up the ground, with JUH and Naughton occasionally swapping.
This formation relies on good leading and marking at HFF and then long kicks. The disadvantage is lack of forward half pressure. But I would counter that it is unlikely we will give up intercept marks and that will provide an equal amount of pressured ball from defenders.
Pros:
Structure and height promoting long kicks.
Aerial threats that need to be covered. Splits the defence OR allows the HFF to dominate and provide frequent i50s.
Cons:
Low forward pressure on loose balls.

Naughton + 2 + R
Really tall formation and would rely on our midfield to kick long and maintain position behind the ball. This would provide good cover for our defence and stretch opponents as few have a 4th tall and IF we provide good separation the kicks should target that 4th tall defender.
Pros:
Aerial power to the max.
Midfield kept in midfield, reducing running.
Forwards can lead into space and have leads honoured more often.
Cons:
Lowest forward pressure.
Forwards have fewer leading options.

At the moment we are playing Naughton + 1. This isn’t working, as the plus 1 isn’t damaging enough or maybe not targeted enough. I suspect it’s a bit of both and that is due to that forward not winning his match up often enough.

At the moment, Melbourne run a modified Naughton +2 +R. This is allowing their midfield to setup a wall behind the ball and kick long to the advantage of their targets. They learn to kick to advantage or the ball gets turned over on their kick. Their disposal is often not up to this but it is their plan.

My preference:
Naughton +2 (Schache, JUH) +R (Sweet). Make our midfielders kick to advantage and form a Melbourne like wall behind the ball. When Bruce comes back he can replace…. Sweet (Schache to provide ruck support). We have the cattle to run this formation and I don’t know why we don’t.
My preferred combination is Naughton + 1 (Bruce) + Ruck/fwd (English)....if Timmy's a team player he'll play where the team needs him.

Sweet or a fit Martin ruck.

Where Timmy goes from Fwd depends on the result of the CB. For that reason I'd station him at CHF to take the tallest defender away from the goal square if we win it and to be able to get up the ground if we lose it. He's a booming kick so a set shot from the arc in front is a decent chance of success.

I like the straight line set up of the forwards. Both Naughts and Bruce should lead out from the goal square on a 45 degree angle but in different directions giving the midfield confidence that they have an option on both sides of the ground in a predictable area and creating one on ones or 2 on 2s in space all over I50. All the talls should be accompanied by a small/crumber.

Naughton has kicked 30 at the halfway point with the team playing like crap. Add Bruce or one of JUH or Schache and he will blow past 50 for the year and allows him to play up the ground as a CHF where he way more dangerous.

Its not him it is the others around him - most top teams have at least four genuine threats. Who else has kicked bags in our current line up?

Bruce is a genuine threat - a monster and completely changes the forward line for the better and Schache and JUH are both improving playing dominant games each over the past few weeks.

We are going to be OK but could be too late for this year. 6:6 is recoverable but will to be 8:4 at least in the second half to scrape in. Absolutely possible - with our team back we are top 4 but need more hunger and intensity.

defence is much much more fragile - we need someone to step up. TOB has been very average, Keath is not at his best. Daniel, Williams, Cordy and Duryea well below par. Dale has been good but probably only Richards is the other at the top of his game and getting better. Cleary is looking good but is 188 and so in an area we have a few others. Crozier should be playing - his courage and marking is badly missed.

I think we should play Bailey Smith as a high half forward.

Too soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back