FoxFooty calling interstate games remotely

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Is it just me or has this become way more noticeable this year. Some of the commentary for yesterdays interstate games was pretty terrible even by the usual low standards set by the usual commentators. To top things off you even had David King awarding votes for the showdown medal despite being an entire state away from the game. Today's Western Derby will also be called remotely I understand.

It was the same approach that FoxCricket used for the BBL which created some pretty embarrassing moments (wickets being called as sixes).

I understand why they had to do this during COVID, but there are no border restrictions anymore. The footy rights cost $4.5 billion, surely it's not too much to ask that the broadcasters fly their commentary teams interstate to cover the games. It's pretty disrespectful to interstate fans that pay for Kayo/Fox subscriptions, to basically say that their games aren't even worth sending commentators to.

Have the AFL/Fox ever actually acknowledged this and made public comment about it ?

Its really noticeable particularly when shooting for goal. Obviously people are paying to watch their team/ game but having commentators there does make it a lot better to view.

There was a moment last night when Derrrrrwayne was acting all excited about a possible touched behind being a goal, because the cameras cut away he was still crapping on about it while the Crows player was kicking in as the camera cut back.
“The goal umpire looks around…..”
Whoops you were caught in a lie Derrrrrrrwayne.

I notice that there is a lot more light hearted waffle because the commentators aren’t as invested in the game.

Agree 100% with this. They are no where near as invested. I also think they do this as they get sick of looking at the screen.

There was a moment last night when Derrrrrwayne was acting all excited about a possible touched behind being a goal, because the cameras cut away he was still crapping on about it while the Crows player was kicking in as the camera cut back.
“The goal umpire looks around…..”
Whoops you were caught in a lie Derrrrrrrwayne.
I only caught 5 minutes of the Showdown and this was precisely the moment that I noticed.

Completely unacceptable for a professional broadcaster to do this as the norm and not the exception.

It's an absolute disgrace, they are treating the viewing public and game itself with contempt just to save a few bucks on travel and accomodation - which would be a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things for them monetarily - whilst they trash product they are broadcasting in the process. The AFL should mandate that the commentary teams attend the game in person.

If there is one sport on Earth where you need to be present to get a full appreciation of what is going on, it is ours.

I agree that it's a disgrace what Fox Footy is doing.

Problem is, the AFL have got the broadcast money in their pockets and really couldn't give a crap.

With a subservient media who refuse to rock the boat, where else is there to go?

We all love our footy, and Fox having a near monopoly knows it and will treat us accordingly.

Imagine having expert comments guy who has no idea of the patterns of play that you could only see if you’re at the game? Astonishing lack of interest from Fox Footy. What it highlights is how s**t their special comments actually are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys like Dwayne and Huddo would be loving it. No airport or hotels. Given both call for Radio on Friday nights as well, they can do three games and not spend a night away.

This reminds me of of Dave Culburt, who said he has been a commentator for four winter Olympics but never seen snow.

The jungle drums are beating a lot harder about it this year as they at least still had the COVID out in 2022, but that doesn't fly anymore. It seems to be getting more attention by other media outlets and on social media, especially this weekend because of the Showdown medal voting. The AFL and/or Fox Footy will have to acknowledge it at some stage, the anger by fans isn't going away. The whole point of commentators is to give you the live perspective from the ground, which we don't get as a viewer at home.

There was a moment in the Showdown when SPP clearly kicked the ball OOF, but because the camera briefly panned away it confused Dwayne and he thought maybe it landed just inside the line (which it very obviously didn't).

The Showdown voting is an interesting point of discussion. Would be interesting to know why those at the ground didn't give Rankine any votes, whilst King gave him three. Would help to give the footy follower an added perspective of what is missed by not being at the game.

Commentators calling whilst not being in attendance isn't as big a bugbear for me compared to poor quality of camera work. Too often the results of the shots on goal are missed because of the want to capture the 'live' reaction of the player.

The unreliability of airline flights may be another point of contention for broadcasters, hopefully all these issues can be resolved soon.

The unreliability of airline flights may be another point of contention for broadcasters, hopefully all these issues can be resolved soon.

This is a really good point. As per Hutchy's comments I think it's more about issues like this and not burning staff out as opposed to purely money.

Interesting comments from David King.

And shows why TV bosses have no idea
Then we have the screen that people see at home and the end product, which is the main screen we look at. When you first go into television, the bosses say just call and talk about things people can see. There’s no point talking about what’s behind the ball if people can’t see it.
Explaining what is happening off screen is what special comments people should be adding to the coverage

They stuffed the commentary in the BBL multiple times because they couldn't see what was happening out of shot.

Yesterday's derby they relied a lot on the boundary riders Pavlich and Schofield to relay simple stuff that the special comments guy could've pointed out if he wasn't 3000 km away. Really disjointed

This is a really good point. As per Hutchy's comments I think it's more about issues like this and not burning staff out as opposed to purely money.
If clubs can find flights to away games for 50+ personnel, it's not gonna be an issue for a handful of commentators.

The "staff welfare" argument from jabba the hutch is bull. Dennis Cometti lives in WA and commuted to Melbourne almost every week during the season for years. If it's such a problem rotate the commentators so they don't do it every week or use more locals. But they won't because penny pinching.

It's actually pretty easy to solve.

Have local commentators in each state.

Edit: I've just read David King's pathetic excuse via SEN.

So why can't he tell us why the reason/s they don't/can't attend the games? Wimp.

You cannot get the tension, the atmosphere, the emotion whilst sitting in an airconditioned room often thousands of kilometres away.

If commentators CAN see the whole ground, why are they so shite in their commentary on behind the ball incidents?

Why are they often seconds behind a shot at goal? It's because a 2D screen cannot give the perspective of seeing it live in 3D.

Again, a company man through and through.

There is no excuse in 2023 NOT to be at the ground.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back