Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton peeps, come on, no one on here wants your advice, stay out

Edit: holy * Carlton people, how can you think anyone here wants your input on umpires or anything to do with the game. Stay out or get pointed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean it looked like a clear robbery at the time, and that was before seeing the new angles with the leg break deflection of the ball off Aish, and then finding out the ump didn't even hear what was said and to who before calling dissent. What an amateur league this is sometimes. We don't have 4 points out of that game solely because the men in green collectively felt the pressure of the occasion and shat their dacks, that's it really.

It feels like every Carlton game, the club finds some new and exciting way to lose involving the umpires.

Yes, that kick was clearly deflected (and no, brushing someone's hair doesn't cause a 20 degree deflection, Kane Cornes). And what the heck is calling dissent when you don't even hear what's said? Footy players will say a lot of things under their breath during a game. But, take chances just a little better and that's not a big problem.

Personally, I was afraid the bubble would burst this game, and the boys would get slaughtered. So to me, this game says, actually, this is a good side. A young side, still, based on that inability to take the good chances. Potentially a genuine contender.

How they react to this incredibly frustrating game is what will separate genuine contender from pretender again.

It feels like every Carlton game, the club finds some new and exciting way to lose involving the umpires.

Yes, that kick was clearly deflected (and no, brushing someone's hair doesn't cause a 20 degree deflection, Kane Cornes). And what the heck is calling dissent when you don't even hear what's said? Footy players will say a lot of things under their breath during a game. But, take chances just a little better and that's not a big problem.

Personally, I was afraid the bubble would burst this game, and the boys would get slaughtered. So to me, this game says, actually, this is a good side. A young side, still, based on that inability to take the good chances. Potentially a genuine contender.

How they react to this incredibly frustrating game is what will separate genuine contender from pretender again.
agree with this. It IS a line in the sand moment and the club goes one of 2 ways; the fork in the road. It's done now and no amount of interminable whining changes the AFL's mind or reverse decisions. It reeks, but it's time to move on and Fremantle needs to show what it's made of because of it. Time to get serious

I hope everyone on these pages complaining about the umpiring is out there every weekend umpiring junior football, because it's so easy to get right?
Being in charge of umpiring a billion dollar entertainment industry that has gambling attached like a parasite can't really be mirrored refereeing junior footy.

Carlton were the best clearance and stoppage team of 2023 and we destroyed them this week.

44 vs 27 for total clearances.
11 vs 7 Centre clearances
33 vs 20 Stoppage clearances.

All going Freos way. I feel like this has been been the big point of difference from last year. I dont know where we rank with the other two (ball movement & turnover) but if we keep this up every team is going to dread playing us.

Now to just fix the scoring part...
We got good compensation for him but it would be nice to have Lachie Shultz in our forward half atm.

Being in charge of umpiring a billion dollar entertainment industry that has gambling attached like a parasite can't really be mirrored refereeing junior footy.
That's the kinda the point. People lamenting bad decisions made by umpires in AFL which is an extremely fast and difficult game to umpire, must be just nailing every decision in the u10s games they umpire. Or could it be that they've never officiated in anything before and have no clue how hard it is to try to get every decision right, every time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were the best clearance and stoppage team of 2023 and we destroyed them this week.

All going Freos way. I feel like this has been been the big point of difference from last year. I dont know where we rank with the other two (ball movement & turnover) but if we keep this up every team is going to dread playing us.

We got good compensation for him but it would be nice to have Lachie Shultz in our forward half atm.

This is a big deal for us, we have a very strong midfield on paper in 2024 and after a steady start they came up against one of the best midfields in the comp and duly beat them, around stoppages in particular. There's obviously other areas to improve on in order to give us better winning chances that take luck out of the equation, but going into every game with one of the best midfield line-ups in the comp bodes well for us being extremely competitive every week.

I really feel like the only thing missing is some serious firepower in the forward half. You add that, or it evolves as part of the structure changes (i.e. Darcy coming in gives Jackson more forward time) etc and I think it's a whole 'nother beast. Hopefully that starts with Port if Darce is ready to come in

That’s on us not the umpires IMO. If we want to play low scoring scraps that’s fine, but when you’re winning by low margins you leave yourself open to losing in any manner of ways. We’re playing ugly football right now and need to find a way to score more.
I don’t think we’re playing ugly football at all. Our clearances are strong and we’re moving the ball with purpose, I thought it was an enjoyable game to watch, two well drilled teams going at it. Our low scoring is due to an inexperienced forward line not getting it done at the moment, they’re getting the opportunities. This whole low scoring scrappy game plan stuff is East Coast commentators parroting each other and wanting to believe it’s true. It’s rubbish, our man on man defence was top shelf, totally nullified what is a very potent forward line, dickheads like Whately want us to let McKay and Curnow roam free for the spectacle. As I said it’s garbage. A few personnel adjustments over the coming weeks and this team is going deep this season, mark my words.

If you put yourself into umpiring you know exactly what sort of abuse and criticism it entails. You can’t deal with it, do a different job. It’s like being a politician and getting upset that people don’t like you.
Do think any of our guys will ever approach an umpire again?
I was coaching u11s last year and after a warning, our umpire sent a kid off for mouthing off at the him. I spoke to the other coach and we agreed that it was the right decision. My comment to their coach was 'Hopefully he learns his lesson because when the pressure is on he might do it again and cost his team a grand final. We're lucky this has happened in round 4 and not in a final.

I don’t think we’re playing ugly football at all. Our clearances are strong and we’re moving the ball with purpose, I thought it was an enjoyable game to watch, two well drilled teams going at it. Our low scoring is due to an inexperienced forward line not getting it done at the moment, they’re getting the opportunities. This whole low scoring scrappy game plan stuff is East Coast commentators parroting each other and wanting to believe it’s true. It’s rubbish, our man on man defence was top shelf, totally nullified what is a very potent forward line, dickheads like Whately want us to let McKay and Curnow roam free for the spectacle. As I said it’s garbage. A few personnel adjustments over the coming weeks and this team is going deep this season, mark my words.
Hammer Time GIF

If viewers want a high scoring game then I got nothing. Go watch Essendon vs St Kilda last week, entertaining game, crap football.

But it's hilarious when people are saying we have regressed to Ross Lyon footy which is just plain wrong.

WEll sadly we cant go by what Clark said to his firends apparnetly .... if he wont make an official statement then it remains that he walked towrds the umpire. shouted something that the umpires decided was dissent, not just swearing in GENERAL as there is no crime for swaring on the field, only for swearing at umpires in such a way that it amounts to DISSENT

Freo should do a press media conference with Clark and make the statement of what occured.
But that will never happen.

Can we actually focus on the main issue here. If isn’t what Clark said, it’s the fact that the AFL can’t get a system to ensure howlers like this don’t happen. Even Carlton supporters who were at the game have come on this thread and admitted that they were astonished that the mark was paid. You can’t tell me none of 4 umpires saw that massive deflection.

Look I am enjoying the strong signs of developing cohesion in our game but we shouldn't try and pretend we're not defensive, we are. This doesn't mean Whatley isn't talking crap (he is an idiot) I should emphasise; but it's not just the media saying that, the ladder and the models say it too.

Personally I think we're right in it as soon as this season as we don't have as far to go in offensive improvement as Geelong, GWS, Sydney and Port do in defensive improvement in order to realistically be gunning for flag (without relying on dumb luck).

Serious question. Can boundary umpires or goal umpires intervene or can they only discuss with central umpires if it involves their area?

I mean, I can’t ever recall a boundary or goal umpire intervening so I’m assuming they can’t but someone in yellow must have gone ‘Man… that’s taken a massive deflection. Perhaps I should say something’

Look I am enjoying the strong signs of developing cohesion in our game but we shouldn't try and pretend we're not defensive, we are. This doesn't mean Whatley isn't talking crap (he is an idiot) I should emphasise; but it's not just the media saying that, the ladder and the models say it too.

Personally I think we're right in it as soon as this season as we don't have as far to go in offensive improvement as Geelong, GWS, Sydney and Port do in defensive improvement in order to realistically be gunning for flag (without relying on dumb luck).
I agree mostly, but not sure we have the personnel to improve enough this year.

That said, Dogs forwardline in 2016 was trash so who knows?

Then half back role? Feel like wing is too difficult for him. His disposal or rather his decision making was really poor today.
Wasn't saying he plays like Mundy. He's inside mid through & through. Think peeps are expecting too much too early. He shows all the signs of being quality when matured. Like a good cheese :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back