Autopsy Freo almost beat GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Its about finding out the game plan that suits our young list. All the top sides attack with run and carry thru the corridor. Gee wiz the doggies won a flag playing like this. The defensive style ie 2012-2015 suited the foot soldiers: debeor, Mzungu, Suban, Dawson, Barlow, Mayne, Duffield, Ballas, Mundy

Wat8.jpg

Agree to an extent but who's brainwashing the media? Why do they feel the need to disrespect us and paint us as an irrelevance? (* again, I'm generalising)
Good question, maybe it's just Victorian arrogance, shrivelled by eagles premierships in the nineties, transformed into disrespect and loathing for us, unable, due to our lack of success, to defend our teams performance. See how commentators barrack against us at the end of close games, or how we were, contrary to afl policy sent down to Geelong to play that final years ago.... even the umpires often find ways to hurt us even when they give us free kicks, and pay fifties that have been unpaid all year, at the last minute of the game, or three goals in row gifted to the opponent by touchwood frees in the centre followed by a free in the fifty always at crucial moments. I've seen it so many times.

Biggest positive for me out of the game was Luke Ryan. He took a few games to come up to speed at this level, and I had him in the category of 'Promising youngster but who knows'.

His last couple of games and especially this one he just looks like a real natural footballer. Played with confidence and authority that makes you think he could play 200 games

Agree to an extent but who's brainwashing the media? Why do they feel the need to disrespect us and paint us as an irrelevance? (* again, I'm generalising)
Because its safe to do so. There isn't any need to brainwash the media, they know exactly what they're doing.

We're a "safe" club to bash. Despite the lack of success, we're not even looking remotely like a failure as a club, or as a business.
We have a fair-sized following, especially given our origins and the fact that we're forced to compete for supporters in a two-team state where one of them had a few years headstart to gather their support and team. Even in our down season, interest in the team and crowds turning up to games don't fluctuate as wildly as some.

Fremantle is solid, and won't suffer from a bit of media silliness. We're not unlike Richmond in that way.

That first flag will change everything, wait and see.
That's assuming, of course, that it comes before we all die of old age.

I had around a dozen Toby Greene mini-me's sitting behind us. Teenage Giant's fans who were calling us spuds every time they scored. It was a striking difference to a Swan's crowd.

Wouldn't be surprised if Giant's fans develop a messed up sense of arrogance as their base develops.

[wipes tear from cheek] They grow up so quickly...

Hamling would have to be a smokey for the Doig, I shudder to think what would have happened to us this year without him. Another good game yesterday.

i like how he seems to be genuinely upset when he loses a contest, I doubt he will be getting too many favors from the umps, seems to give them a spray every so often.

Same as Freo fans having their own scapegoats - we aren't beyond giving bronx cheers of our own players (ffs, they wear purple, why do that).

Humans are involved in the chain and therefore happy to be titillated in private, prone to outraged at the scurrilous in public (often what is titillating in private), and easily whipped into a frenzied mob.

Totally agree re Cameron.

Regarding the arrogance, I travel a lot for work and my experience is that in general, regardless of where you are in Australia, and regardless of the level of understanding or knowledge of the game that the person you're talking with is, Freo is disrespected and unliked.
In 2015 I was living in Melbourne and after the first few rounds, the amount of people (especially Carlton fans) ringing into SEN saying they wanted to stop following their club and start following Freo was huge.
The point Im making is as a club we need to do something that makes people want to like and respect us. It has to be earned, and really, what have we done to earn it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2015 I was living in Melbourne and after the first few rounds, the amount of people (especially Carlton fans) ringing into SEN saying they wanted to stop following their club and start following Freo was huge.
The point Im making is as a club we need to do something that makes people want to like and respect us. It has to be earned, and really, what have we done to earn it?

Fair enough that you should earn respect; likewise it's only fair that you should deserve the abuse.
We haven't done either.

We are the prescribed enemy. If we were a country we would be North Korea or Russia depending on how much of a threat we were. It's media brainwashing.
As much as this may be true, to a certain extent most supporters have a little of this feeling for their own club
I think we are better off not playing the victim and getting on with it
No one likes a victim ( well I don't)

As much as this may be true, to a certain extent most supporters have a little of this feeling for their own club
I think we are better off not playing the victim and getting on with it
No one likes a victim ( well I don't)
Once we win a flag it will be soooo much sweeter... still though if you don t stand up for yourself if you are being bullied, in this case by the Afl you will continue to be a picked on weakling, it's good Ross is our coach just for the fact that all the journos are scared of him...

Good game to watch all round. Love the continued development of Ryan, Tucker and Hughes (Ryan in particular). B. Hill seems over his kicking yips at the moment, attacking style of play resulted in a lot more goals for us. Back 6 is still shaky but pulling together better - can only imagine an A. Pearce/Collins type down back would settle us further.

The only reasons we lost were due to Blakely going down and I reckon Darcy being tag-teamed in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back