Autopsy Freo outclassed by Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bothered to go back through Kayo to time stamp it but two moments summed it up or me.

The first quarter miskick from Pearce to Johnson in the defensive 50. If you watch that, you’ll see Johnson starts unmarked near the centre square, runs forward and across. Opportunity to open up the game wasted but not pulling the trigger earlier and eventually wasting the crap kick.

Second quarter, Freo kick after out of bounds on the full about 70 metres out, right half forward flank. Absolutely zero movement from anyone in the forward 50, so just gets bombed in. Crap football.
I would have added to the above with Cox assisting a Chuckie Cameron goal by kindly keeping it in play by paddling it in front of Cameron for an easy goal…

It's a bit annoying to hear JLo subbed Sturt off.

You would think him kicking two goals in two minutes last week would have shown that if you leave guys with genuine forward craft on they can have an impact even if they're having a quiet day til then.

And that's even before considering that we pretty much should be in development mode for the rest of the season, and getting minutes into Sturt could be far more valuable than yet more gametime for someone like Banfield. Same deal with Amiss getting subbed the other week. Just get minutes into the guys who could improve us going forward.
This a 100 times. Both substitutions triggered me . If Banfield was being effective then maybe but of course he wasn’t. I am becoming increasingly concerned with the team selection and general decision making.

So which was the better goal, Ashcroft or Walters.

I thought Walters as the work he had to do leading up to it, plus the acute angle

NEVER thought I'd say this but I think Sumich's Player Ratings in today's West are absolutely on the money. Could have been written by many a Freo BF poster!

He puts players' stats on the table with analysis to back his statements. Plus practical tips our boys could well heed, e.g. Matty Johnson (whose game Sumich applauded apart from Zorko tackle) "should grab a coach & do 300+ ground balls a week for rest of the season and then get coach to kick ball into his hands 100-200 times a day, because this is what champions of the game do so they don't fumble".

A very coach-like rundown, in fact....

Might be just me, but is it weird to think that the loss to Brisbane seemed to be far better than our loss to the Dogs? Felt like there was so much to work with, bar basic skills error. To be honest, didn't mind watching
Probably a game nobody expected us to win even at the start of the season but I would have enjoyed it more if we’d gone in 5-1 instead of 2-4

Might be just me, but is it weird to think that the loss to Brisbane seemed to be far better than our loss to the Dogs? Felt like there was so much to work with, bar basic skills error. To be honest, didn't mind watching
I've been quiet since the Brissie game, but I'm in the same boat RT.

I can handle the fumbly nature of our blokes as it was obvious we were out there to change things up and have different sort of crack. At least that means the brains trust has identified some things we have been screaming about and the players, in some way, listened to what the coaches had to say.

Brissie away is possibly the toughest assignment in footy at the minute and I felt we were in amongst it for most of the game (even though I didn't actually think we'd ever win).

I still think we have a ripping young list and a tonne of untapped improvement in us. This year we must focus on exposing and continuing to develop the youth in our squad, and refining a game plan that is finals proof. It's obvious the first few rounds showed that our plan A wasn't that and that things need to change.

I'm still strangely optimistic.

NEVER thought I'd say this but I think Sumich's Player Ratings in today's West are absolutely on the money. Could have been written by many a Freo BF poster!

He puts players' stats on the table with analysis to back his statements. Plus practical tips our boys could well heed, e.g. Matty Johnson (whose game Sumich applauded apart from Zorko tackle) "should grab a coach & do 300+ ground balls a week for rest of the season and then get coach to kick ball into his hands 100-200 times a day, because this is what champions of the game do so they don't fumble".

A very coach-like rundown, in fact....

Yeah as much s**t as he gets on here, I’m finding the player ratings pretty on point. That might just be because he gave Banfield a 1.
0 tackles, 0 goals, wtf is he in the team for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah as much s**t as he gets on here, I’m finding the player ratings pretty on point. That might just be because he gave Banfield a 1.
0 tackles, 0 goals, wtf is he in the team for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he's been good every week tbh and even if I disagree slightly on the number behind a couple of the ratings, his explanations are generally on point and well reasoned - which is something I never thought I'd say about Suma...

For whatever reason, our midfield is just not up to it this year.
Brayshaw the obvious one, but Brodie is down, Aish is down, Driz is down and JOM has not really shown that he can consistently win clearances.
Do we throw Erasmus and Johnson in there? (When Jonno comes back) and move Brayshaw to a wing.
Do we throw Fyfe in there? (When he comes back)
Do we throw Switta in there?
Do we throw Hayden Young in there?

We need to do something. It's just not working, and we are being beaten comprehensively every week. My gut feel is we need bigger bodies that can win the ball. In a lot of ways AFL is no different to junior footy. Win the clearances and you wine the game - and generally, you aren't doing that if you're giving up size to your opposition.

We were formidable with Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy and Barlow - they were all big guys. Personally, I reckon only one of Serong or Brayshaw should be in there. Everyone else should be 190cm and 90kgs. (or close to)
The mix needs to be something like:

Darcy, Jackson, Fyfe Brayshaw
Darcy Jackson Fyfe Serong.
Darcy Fyfe, Brayshaw Young,
Darcy, Fyfe Serong Young.
Darcy Brodie Serong Young
Darcy Jackson Young Fyfe.

Last edited:
I found Sumich's analysis really accurate. I would love for those to be shown to the individual players for them to see from the outside looking in, that's their current performance and where they need to improve. Let's face it if those ones with the poor performances were to improve to match the higher scores we'd be winning games. It's also obvious which players should not be in the team because they have reached their celling and they simply do not measure up to the quality required to be an AFL player. Jlo must be blind if he cannot see this and continues to play them ( and we all know who they are) at the expense of some of the boys in the Peel team who have well and truly played to a level worthy of a try,
Also as much as we despise Sumich ,he has coached ,trained and played a lot of football (very successful with the under 18's), so those suggestions in regard to Johnson, O'driscoll to do during the week at training, is a really good idea.

Last edited:
We certainly WERE outclassed

Brisbane v Fremantle​

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
3 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Josh Dunkley (BL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back