Future Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

the young boys are looking remarkably good, especially this years draft haul. we can see a lot of green shoots and assets that do have are becoming obvious. Its often harder to identify the deficiencies that end up bringing them undone... eg bootsma was showing some toe and spoiling ability off half back until has inability to keep his tackle off the fishing show brought him undone...

SPS pro's kicking, tackling, vision and agility in traffic
Cons: maybe not super quick

Fisher pro's kicking, vision, speed
cons: size

williamson pro's run and carry, kick, strong fast clean hands
cons?

MacReadie pro's speed, height
con's size, attacking ability?

Poison Pro's finds the ball

i'm interested to hear what others think? they all look like starts atm but usually we end up with a few dud delisters 3 year in...
Good post Lagoon. Some thoughts in addition to you Pros and Cons:

SPS - Pros as you say kicking, tackling, vision and agility in traffic
and Cons: maybe not super quick

I think he is fast enough. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do. I would add clean ball handling ... he was superb in the wet against Essendon.

Fisher again gathers the ball very cleanly and kicks well, looks for a teammate. First response is to move the ball on quickly. His goal against Gold Coast suggests he has 'it'. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do.

cons?

I think Williamson has been out of position a bit in the Gold Coast and Port Adelaide matches but like his willingness to get in there and his accurate kicking (his first kick in the wet against Essendon was a beauty). His athletic traits show out as does his clean kicking and he was one of the top in these traits at the Combine and I think he is a player.

I think Macreadie has shown good intercept ability and a willingness to put himself in harms way to stop forwards, and that is great to see so early in a player's career. Has had a couple of poor kicks (Richmond and Gold Coast resulted in goals from close range) but I expect this to be ironed out of his game.

Too early to tell, clearly earned his game this week with two high 20s possession games in the VFL. I would like to see us retain him in the Ones and if he is not ready to play AFL midfield yet then we should play him in the forward line to mix it up a bit with Pickett and Wright.

Kerr in the VFL surprised me yesterday. He is more than a one-dimensional lead up forward although he did lead well and is a good kick. He fights for the ball in general play and gets it going our way. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do.

And pleased with Marchbank and Pickett (raw speed yeah, can't wait until he can run out a whole game), and ...

Second Years now ... Jack (just gives it everything, is a very good kick and contested 1:1 player). Charlie showed some Kouta-like marking in the first half against Port and his long kicking was ok. Weitering was fantastic against Rance round 1 and looks injured to me and was struggling to make an impact against Port. McKay in the VFL yesterday showed great work rate in running and in general play (not just marking), and Cuningham's speed was great, tackled a fair bit, got a number of possessions and just needs a bit more composure to find a teammate or to kick goals.

It was fine right up to the point Leigh Matthews decided to chase the 4th on the trot instead of resetting the list. It went downhill from the time that decision was made.
They went 16-6 and made the grand final and had won 5 in a row heading into the GF. Hardly a bad call IMO.

Good post Lagoon. Some thoughts in addition to you Pros and Cons:

SPS - Pros as you say kicking, tackling, vision and agility in traffic
and Cons: maybe not super quick

I think he is fast enough. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do. I would add clean ball handling ... he was superb in the wet against Essendon.

Fisher again gathers the ball very cleanly and kicks well, looks for a teammate. First response is to move the ball on quickly. His goal against Gold Coast suggests he has 'it'. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do.

cons?

I think Williamson has been out of position a bit in the Gold Coast and Port Adelaide matches but like his willingness to get in there and his accurate kicking (his first kick in the wet against Essendon was a beauty). His athletic traits show out as does his clean kicking and he was one of the top in these traits at the Combine and I think he is a player.

I think Macreadie has shown good intercept ability and a willingness to put himself in harms way to stop forwards, and that is great to see so early in a player's career. Has had a couple of poor kicks (Richmond and Gold Coast resulted in goals from close range) but I expect this to be ironed out of his game.

Too early to tell, clearly earned his game this week with two high 20s possession games in the VFL. I would like to see us retain him in the Ones and if he is not ready to play AFL midfield yet then we should play him in the forward line to mix it up a bit with Pickett and Wright.

Kerr in the VFL surprised me yesterday. He is more than a one-dimensional lead up forward although he did lead well and is a good kick. He fights for the ball in general play and gets it going our way. Needs a pre-season or two to develop a tank to run out games as many young players do.

And pleased with Marchbank and Pickett (raw speed yeah, can't wait until he can run out a whole game), and ...

Second Years now ... Jack (just gives it everything, is a very good kick and contested 1:1 player). Charlie showed some Kouta-like marking in the first half against Port and his long kicking was ok. Weitering was fantastic against Rance round 1 and looks injured to me and was struggling to make an impact against Port. McKay in the VFL yesterday showed great work rate in running and in general play (not just marking), and Cuningham's speed was great, tackled a fair bit, got a number of possessions and just needs a bit more composure to find a teammate or to kick goals.

Good point on Kerr, i'm actually quite optimistic about him moving forward.

During the Freo game the commentators had a lot of praise for Cam McCarthy, talking up the fact that he always leads at the ball-carrier and presents as an option. Kerr strikes me as the same kind of player. He's not big enough to wrestle or outreach most key defenders, so instead he plays in front of them and makes repeat leads. Exactly what our forward line needs at the moment, and exactly the kind of play that will benefit from clean, low delivery from the likes of SPS, Fisher, Williamson etc.

i

This pic: players and ages in 2020. View attachment 355743
After the weekends games, can see potential for Kerr to be that 3rd big bodied forward (Darling/McCarthy style)?
Just need Lebois or Gallucci to come good.
Add Williamson down back and still hoping that Buckley can be the fast lockdown small defender we need.
But mids still a work in progress. Polson, Fisher, Cuningham are three small speedy types with potential but need two more big bodied mids with class.
And a younger ruck is essential post 2022.

Luv what SOS is doing here:thumbsu:

I think our idea of 'big-bodied' and other clubs may differ somewhat.........
We are spoiled by having Cripps:rolleyes:
Imagine if Charlie can excel in the midfield as the breakaway player:eek:

I really like that the list age grouping is so tight so they all come good together, but I am impatient for it to actually happen ... come on already:fire::rainbow::straining:

Good point on Kerr, i'm actually quite optimistic about him moving forward.

During the Freo game the commentators had a lot of praise for Cam McCarthy, talking up the fact that he always leads at the ball-carrier and presents as an option. Kerr strikes me as the same kind of player. He's not big enough to wrestle or outreach most key defenders, so instead he plays in front of them and makes repeat leads. Exactly what our forward line needs at the moment, and exactly the kind of play that will benefit from clean, low delivery from the likes of SPS, Fisher, Williamson etc.
If he leads up to the ball carrier it is certain the kick will go over his head. Heck it will go over his head if he stands in one spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are spoiled by having Cripps:rolleyes:
Imagine if Charlie can excel in the midfield as the breakaway player:eek:

I really like that the list age grouping is so tight so they all come good together, but I am impatient for it to actually happen ... come on already:fire::rainbow::straining:

I'm hoping in 3 years time our midfield is Cripps, Doc, Charlie, SPS and Fisher. Not sure if Kreuz will still be our ruck by then? Williamson and Cuningham as midfield rotations. Looking good! Height, strength, speed, skill and footy smarts!

Fogarty is a lock for pick 1, such a smooth player. To be honest I think we will finish last this year, so watch his YouTube videos and get excited, I say

He's far from a lock just yet and lots of names will start popping up soon enough.

Funny that most names being seriously spoken about right now, have early year births (Jan, Feb, March)

Watch the Sept - December birth months come to prominence, a little later into the season.

I'm hoping in 3 years time our midfield is Cripps, Doc, Charlie, SPS and Fisher. Not sure if Kreuz will still be our ruck by then? Williamson and Cuningham as midfield rotations. Looking good! Height, strength, speed, skill and footy smarts!
Hoping we have added to it by then!

No need to 'hope' :)

We're going to be adding plenty of mids this year alone.
Plenty?
Quality much more important than quantity.
I would be happy with three "premiums" and the odd late draft speculative.
Two (semi) mature trades ideally Hopper and Balic (I like Kennedy but not quick).
Top end of this draft has some great midfield prospects, which I assume this thread
is designed to follow. Hopefully plenty of reports over drop of hat "opinions".
Would be "happy" enough for just one gun through the draft, given the kids we
already have in development.

He's far from a lock just yet and lots of names will start popping up soon enough.

Funny that most names being seriously spoken about right now, have early year births (Jan, Feb, March)

Watch the Sept - December birth months come to prominence, a little later into the season.

Agreed, too early to call the number one pick at this point. As far as number one picks go, there seem to be a handful of KPP that could easily be the top couple of picks from what I have read in the last few week based on early performances of the draftee's. Far from convinced that the number one pick will even be a midfielder, let alone Darcy Fogarty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back