List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

The tall one on the left is, but no.

He does have three boys though. And typically for St Kilda, it’s looking less and less likely they’ll make their way here.
typically for us, what will ccur is that they will like american football, come over here as teenagers and get pickedup by Tassie as NGAs

A member of players who played over 100 games for us must have had sons, why aren't any of them decent footy players? Dismal record so far and doesn't look like getting any better.

What happened to FS program publicised a few years ago with kids like Jackson Voss etc?

A member of players who played over 100 games for us must have had sons, why aren't any of them decent footy players? Dismal record so far and doesn't look like getting any better.

What happened to FS program publicised a few years ago with kids like Jackson Voss etc?

we have a father son program, , but not great talent.

Milne, the best small forward in the club's history, has a son, and he's a bloody defender - of VFL quality. Peckett has about 30 sons, none of them look like they will amount to much in the AFL so far. Robert Harvey one of our greatest players ever and now a COACH has a son, he's not even interested in becoming a player.

Bailey Rice was slow. Chad Davis is famous for one thing and sadly it wasn't anything he did in any of his 31 games. David Sierakowski was OK but the guy he was swapped with was a massive upgrade.

Meanwhile other clubs' have fs sections that become locks in the seniors and make the team stronger.

Yes a few of our better players have had daughters instead, but why is it that sons that have come from Saints players have not been good enough to become decent AFL players themselves?

We've had loads of players, you can't tell me they've ALL had daughters. Either they've not had sufficient interest in playing the sport like Connor Harvey or they've been not good enough like Ace Peckett. Why haven't they been good enough?

That programme that was a "publicity stunt" had sons from the likes of Matt Young, Stewie Loewe, David Grant (?), Brett Voss, and probably plenty I'm forgetting: so far, zilch (though some might still be too young I guess)

Look at the Bulldogs. They get McRae jnr and Darcy jnr, now Croft jnr. The Pies get two stars out of Daicos as well as his own playing history, ditto Marcus Ashcroft, Alwyn Davey and Scott Camporeale. Why can't Jett Peckett be a top 10 player that we can switch picks for? His dad worked for Leading Teams ffs.

What the hell is going on?

EDIT: the publicity stunt in question

Last edited:
"...the Saints have created a father-son induction program to help the club develop any potential recruits...."

"Past players Stewart Loewe, Andrew Thompson, Justin Peckett, Dean Rice, Jayson Daniels, David Grant, Steven Sziller, Tony Brown, Max Hudghton and Brett Voss as well as modern-day Saints Justin Koschitzke and Stephen Milne were on hand with their families to hear about the new program that will be closely monitored by St Kilda’s recruiting and development staff.

"The sons of former players Frank Coghlan, Robert Harvey, Austinn Jones and Peter Everitt will also be in the program.

"The ages of the potential father-sons range from 16 months to 16 years."

Wow!

This program - if it's still running - has been a total failure so far. Look at the names there and look at how many there are. How many players has it given us? Zilch. Zero. Nada. Rien. And those are just Sziller's kids. (Sorry, confusing and stupid joke there)

Not ONE player in 9 years apart from the disappointing Bailey Rice and Tyson Milne, currently on the frines of the VFL. Maybe every single one of the children of all of those gun players just wasn't any good or didn't want it hard enough...

Or maybe, just like most of the players on our club's list in the last 9 years, they didn't have a hope of being sufficiently motivated or developed.

But I confess I'm ignorant about the ages of these players, maybe they're all still really young and we'll start seeing results shortly. It's clear that so far in this respect the club is light years behind the leaders. I really hope that changes.

In any case, I don't see why we don't hear more about this program, at least getting more details about the kids, their ages, potential positions, and so on. I get that you wouldn't want to put too much pressure on them, but a yearly update at least wouldn't hurt.
I'd forgotten that I've whinged about this already, my apologies - it is annoying though.

Milne, the best small forward in the club's history, has a son, and he's a bloody defender - of VFL quality. Peckett has about 30 sons, none of them look like they will amount to much in the AFL so far. Robert Harvey one of our greatest players ever and now a COACH has a son, he's not even interested in becoming a player.

Bailey Rice was slow. Chad Davis is famous for one thing and sadly it wasn't anything he did in any of his 31 games. David Sierakowski was OK but the guy he was swapped with was a massive upgrade.

Meanwhile other clubs' have fs sections that become locks in the seniors and make the team stronger.

Yes a few of our better players have had daughters instead, but why is it that sons that have come from Saints players have not been good enough to become decent AFL players themselves?

We've had loads of players, you can't tell me they've ALL had daughters. Either they've not had sufficient interest in playing the sport like Connor Harvey or they've been not good enough like Ace Peckett. Why haven't they been good enough?

That programme that was a "publicity stunt" had sons from the likes of Matt Young, Stewie Loewe, David Grant (?), Brett Voss, and probably plenty I'm forgetting: so far, zilch (though some might still be too young I guess)

Look at the Bulldogs. They get McRae jnr and Darcy jnr, now Croft jnr. The Pies get two stars out of Daicos as well as his own playing history, ditto Marcus Ashcroft, Alwyn Davey and Scott Camporeale. Why can't Jett Peckett be a top 10 player that we can switch picks for? His dad worked for Leading Teams ffs.

What the hell is going on?

EDIT: the publicity stunt in question

Part of our issue is that we never got players to 100 games. We have never been stable side. 1997 was a good side but within a couple of years we had stripped the list out. We probably have the least players 100+ game players of any establishment club due to a history of incompetence.

Part of our issue is that we never got players to 100 games. We have never been stable side. 1997 was a good side but within a couple of years we had stripped the list out. We probably have the least players 100+ game players of any establishment club due to a history of incompetence.
Fair point, part bad luck, part incompetence. Parker Heatley is in the draft this year, dad Jason played 60 games for us. Dean Anderson played 67 games for us, Noah would've been a very handy addition. Jake Bowey could've come to us if dad Bretty played 15 more games. Dreading Goose Maguire's kids after his 99 games.

Yes, that is part of it, but we've still had enough players to have played over 100 games and had sons that we should have had more coming through. My question is: Why haven't these sons been interested/good enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I'm procrastinating so here goes:

86 St Kilda players since 1965 have played more than 100 matches.
28 St Kilda players since 1965 have played more than 200 matches. (Seb Ross is set to be the 29th in 2 more matches)
5 St Kilda players since 1965 have played more than 300 matches.

Saints centurions

R Harvey 383
N Riewoldt 336
N Burke 323
S Loewe 321
B Breen 300

L Hayes 297
L Montagna 287
S Milne 275
G Colling 265
N Dal Santo 260
K Neale 256
J Peckett 252
D Frawley 240
M Hudgeton 234
N Winmar 230
T Barker 230
S Fisher 228
A Jones 226
J Sarau 226
G Cunningham 224
A Thompson 221
J Blake 219
S Gilbert 208
J Geary 207
B Goddard 205
B Mynott 204
S Baker 203
J Koschitzke 200

S Ross 198
D Grant 191
J Steven 183
T Lockett 183
P Everitt 180
A Davis 173 --------- Chad
G Burns 169
D Armitage 169
C Ditterich 169
R Smith 168
S Dempster 168
J O'Dea 167
J Sinclair 165
S Trott 159
T Membrey 159
R Elphingstone 157
J Billings 155
J Newnes 155
J Moran 155
J Gram 154
J Webster 150
C Jones 149
N Besanko 149
F Gehrig 145
B Murray 143
L Ball 142
J Steele 141
B Duperouzel 139
G Elliott 138
J Gresham 136
B Voss 135
S Theodore 134
F Ray 130
A Schneider 130
T Payze 127
J Gwilt 126
B Lawrence 126 --------- Steven
J Shanahan 125
W Judson 124
R Greene 120
S Sziller 118
J Manzie 117
L Dunstan 116
D Rice 116 ---------Bailey
J Daniels 115
D Wakelin 115
T Pekin 112
R Marshall 110
S Savage 109
F Coghlan 109
C Wilkie 109
T Brown 108
G Young 108
D Griffiths 106
P Callery 105
X Clarke 105
J Dunne 101
J Battle 100

Fair point, part bad luck, part incompetence. Parker Heatley is in the draft this year, dad Jason played 60 games for us. Dean Anderson played 67 games for us, Noah would've been a very handy addition. Jake Bowey could've come to us if dad Bretty played 15 more games. Dreading Goose Maguire's kids after his 99 games.
Plus of course Saints are free to draft any kids of Saints players who played less than 100 games, as we did with David Sierakowski, but we don't have a free hit at them. Yet hardly any kids of any Saints players have ever played for us. It's almost as if their parents are discouraging them from playing football.

Yes, that is part of it, but we've still had enough players to have played over 100 games and had sons that we should have had more coming through. My question is: Why haven't these sons been interested/good enough?

I think with all players there is a low percentage chance that kids turn out good enough. If you have less tickets in the lottery you have less chances. That really good era of Frawley, Lockett etc seemed to have heaps of girls. Then we just stopped being very good at finding talent all together. Post Goddard we stopped drafting any top players so we will have a huge gap again because of that era being so poor. Unless guys like Jack Steven or Armo have some good kids we probably don't get much out of it. There might be a few from the Rooey, Dal, Lenny, Montagna group still to come though.

Boston Everitt was meant to be getting pretty close right? When's he eligible?

I know there was a Gold Coast connection but I thought I read they'd settled on returning to Melbourne and sticking with the Saints program.
Eligible next year but he's not close to be draftable based on this years output.

That’s an excellent point…the evidence is Bowie, Ralphsmith & Anderson all running round with other clubs.

Getting Father son players is one thing, them being good is another.

100+ game or premiership players from F/S recruits AFL era 1990-
In brackets current players who look likely.

Geelong 6
Collingwood 5
Bulldogs 5

Blues 4
Essendon 3

WCE 2 (+waterman)
Bris 1 (+Ashcroft, Fletcher)
Rich 2

Melb 1
North 1
Port 1
Adelaide 0 (Michaelanny)
Saints, hawks, Sydney, freo 0

Most clubs 0-2 players over the last 33 years.

Really only 3 clubs so far have majorly benefited:
Geelong, Footscray (something in the water west of the city?)
And Collingwood.
All recent premierships with multiple F/s playing.

Blues and Brisbane doing well if the young current/next year boys do well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back