List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably won't matter. I heard that the father's would have to have been drafted from Tasmania to be eligible. Nick was drafted from Qld, therefore Tas won't have any hold over them.
Sorry if it doesn't got the doom and gloom narrative. Font worry, I'm sure they'll change the rules so Tassie end up with the three greatest players of all time.
Woe is us, poor us, boo hoo😭
Webster?

“A new Bonbeach” is how coach Adrian Connolly refers to his side.

The faces might be young but the old Sharks spirit is still very much alive, as it proved on Saturday when Bonbeach came from three goals down in the last quarter to edge Sorrento by eight points, 16.12 (108) to 16.4 (100), to secure its first win of the 2023 season.

Bonbeach played off in last season’s Division 1 grand final but subsequently a stack of experience departed the club.

As a result, the Sharks lost their opening seven games of the season but Connolly says it’s “starting to turn a bit’’.

“They’re having a go,” Connolly said of his current side.

“I’m really proud of them, given the 14 (players) we lost, it’s a completely new team.

“It takes some time but it’s starting to pay us back a little bit with the time and energy they’ve put in.”

Saturday’s victory contained some great performances.

Jet Peckett, son of St Kilda 252-game star Justin Peckett, used his blistering pace to kick the match winner, one of his two goals in the last term as Bonbeach rallied.

“That was his best senior game of football yesterday,” Connolly said of Peckett.

“He’s been working really hard. He works hard to get his footy and he used it really well on the outside and I think it was fitting that he kicked the winning goal as well.

“He’s got amazing speed and he finally got one that bounced out the back that he ran onto and into an open goal and they ran from everywhere to get around him.”

Bonbeach trailed by 14 points at the last break before kicking seven goals to four in the final quarter.

Former AFL Swan and Saint Trent Dennis-Lane kicked five goals for the winners, while ex Melbourne listed Liam Hulett was outstanding.

Connolly said Hulett has been in exceptional form all year.

“His footy has gone to another level,” Connolly said.

“He’s played key position and ruck, he hardly gets a break, he’s a workhorse but the one who leads them and they get on board. He’s been in super form.”
Dennis-Lane was playing only his fourth match this season and made the most of his opportunities.

“He got on the end of some really good work up the ground,” Connolly said.

“His goal kicking certainly helps, he’s still got it for a bloke of his age. He’s fantastic.”

Angus Grant was named in Bonbeach’s best after returning from illness and VFL duties.

“He did give us a target and kicked a couple of vital goals,” Connolly said.

Down back, Heath Mullen, Sam McIlwain and former Old mentonians player Jeremy Williams impressed.

“These kids who’ve played less than 10 games, they’re starting to find their feet a bit,” Connolly said.

“Plus we had a 16 and 17 year old play, Elwood Peckett and Cal Robertson, and they held their own.’’

Matthew Douglas, Calvin Lee and Rhys Hogan were also key factors in Bonny’s win.

For Sorrento, coach Leigh Poholke kicked six goals and Shannon Gladman continued his great form.

Connolly said coming from behind made the victory “even more sweeter’’.

“We finally played four quarters of footy, that was the big difference,’’ he said.

“We’ve wanted it every week, we’ve just played in patches. I reckon it’s been building.’’

Bonbeach remains on the bottom but Connolly said the side’s focus was more on performing each week.

“We’re not even worrying about that in all honesty,’’ he said of the Sharks’ 10th spot position.

“We haven’t mentioned it, it’s all about trying to get our processes right. We haven’t mentioned ladder positions, we haven’t mentioned wins and losses, it’s just about trying to get it right because once we get it right, as we saw yesterday, we’ll be able to push everyone.”

Last edited:

The faces might be young but the old Sharks spirit is still very much alive, as it proved on Saturday when Bonbeach came from three goals down in the last quarter to edge Sorrento by eight points, 16.12 (108) to 16.4 (100), to secure its first win of the 2023 season.

Bonbeach played off in last season’s Division 1 grand final but subsequently a stack of experience departed the club.

As a result, the Sharks lost their opening seven games of the season but Connolly says it’s “starting to turn a bit’’.

“I’m really proud of them, given the 14 (players) we lost, it’s a completely new team.

“It takes some time but it’s starting to pay us back a little bit with the time and energy they’ve put in.”

Jet Peckett, son of St Kilda 252-game star Justin Peckett, used his blistering pace to kick the match winner, one of his two goals in the last term as Bonbeach rallied.

“That was his best senior game of football yesterday,” Connolly said of Peckett.

“He’s been working really hard. He works hard to get his footy and he used it really well on the outside and I think it was fitting that he kicked the winning goal as well.

“He’s got amazing speed and he finally got one that bounced out the back that he ran onto and into an open goal and they ran from everywhere to get around him.”

Bonbeach trailed by 14 points at the last break before kicking seven goals to four in the final quarter.

Former AFL Swan and Saint Trent Dennis-Lane kicked five goals for the winners, while ex Melbourne listed Liam Hulett was outstanding.

“He’s played key position and ruck, he hardly gets a break, he’s a workhorse but the one who leads them and they get on board. He’s been in super form.”
Dennis-Lane was playing only his fourth match this season and made the most of his opportunities.

“His goal kicking certainly helps, he’s still got it for a bloke of his age. He’s fantastic.”

Angus Grant was named in Bonbeach’s best after returning from illness and VFL duties.

Down back, Heath Mullen, Sam McIlwain and former Old mentonians player Jeremy Williams impressed.

“These kids who’ve played less than 10 games, they’re starting to find their feet a bit,” Connolly said.

“Plus we had a 16 and 17 year old play, Elwood Peckett and Cal Robertson, and they held their own.’’

Matthew Douglas, Calvin Lee and Rhys Hogan were also key factors in Bonny’s win.

For Sorrento, coach Leigh Poholke kicked six goals and Shannon Gladman continued his great form.

“We finally played four quarters of footy, that was the big difference,’’ he said.

“We’ve wanted it every week, we’ve just played in patches. I reckon it’s been building.’’

Bonbeach remains on the bottom but Connolly said the side’s focus was more on performing each week.

“We’re not even worrying about that in all honesty,’’ he said of the Sharks’ 10th spot position.

“We haven’t mentioned it, it’s all about trying to get our processes right. We haven’t mentioned ladder positions, we haven’t mentioned wins and losses, it’s just about trying to get it right because once we get it right, as we saw yesterday, we’ll be able to push everyone.”

Disappointing jet never came on but hopefully Elwood does. Need a bit of luck

I dont know if it means much, but as a junior Roo captained the Tassy team. Thats where his grandparents are, and from his book Roo still has close ties to Tassy.

Roo has property on the Tassie East Coast - Orford. He has had new players there for pre season sessions. Have spotted him there reguarly.....expect to see him training his boys ready to play for the Saints.

Still can't believe that a Tassie team is happening.

The population of ALL of Tasmania is 1/10 that of Melbourne.

The population of Hobart is less than Geelong. Geelong is a viable team because they can drive to a lot of their away games, and their opponents can drive to their home game.

The finances are based on "Government " money. IE NOT RELIABLE.

They keep talking about their basketball team , like its a legitimate comparison.

The population of Hobart is less than Geelong. Geelong is a viable team because they can drive to a lot of their away games, and their opponents can drive to their home game.

They keep talking about their basketball team , like its a legitimate comparison.
Doesn't Melbourne have 10 teams?

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn't Melbourne have 10 teams?

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine how the Saints games would go if they didn't have followers of the other 9 teams turn up to our home games in droves.

And the 10 times population is MELBOURNE, not the whole of Victoria.
Hobart is smaller than Geelong.

Imagine how the Saints games would go if they didn't have followers of the other 9 teams turn up to our home games in droves.

And the 10 times population is MELBOURNE, not the whole of Victoria.
Hobart is smaller than Geelong.
i'd prefer to watch the saints at moorabbin with 10k people over the dome with 40k. Numbers aren't everything. The best footy to watch is VFL, I'm just not invested in one team winning over another so it's not as fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd prefer to watch the saints at moorabbin with 10k people over the dome with 40k. Numbers aren't everything. The best footy to watch is VFL, I'm just not invested in one team winning over another so it's not as fun.

I hear what your saying. Its a totally different experience to go to the VFL, move around to a few different spots , stubby in hand, feeling super close to the players. Same with bands, rather see a good band in a pub than in a bloody stadium.

But I'm not even talking about the match day experience , its more the economics of running an AFL team.

I think it will be a hit. They are pretty mad about their footy down there.

If you look at Geelongs crowds (when they aren't doing construction on their stadium) they have no issue drawing crowds against interstate teams.

In the 2019 they played Giants, West Coast and Sydney early and drew a crowd of over 27k every time.

Being such a short flight from Melbourne it will be great for tourism too

I think it will be a hit. They are pretty mad about their footy down there.

If you look at Geelongs crowds (when they aren't doing construction on their stadium) they have no issue drawing crowds against interstate teams.

In the 2019 they played Giants, West Coast and Sydney early and drew a crowd of over 27k every time.

Being such a short flight from Melbourne it will be great for tourism too

People don't realise how few options there are down there. The basketball is killing it because it's pretty much the only thing available. Having a stadium will bring big touring acts down there as well, Victorians would travel to see stuff they miss out on here and it should open the state up more to tourism. MONA has been huge for Hobart and that's an art museum. Footy is much more mainstream and will bring even more in.

People don't realise how few options there are down there. The basketball is killing it because it's pretty much the only thing available. Having a stadium will bring big touring acts down there as well, Victorians would travel to see stuff they miss out on here and it should open the state up more to tourism. MONA has been huge for Hobart and that's an art museum. Footy is much more mainstream and will bring even more in.
I think in 10 years time Tassie will be a busy spot for holiday. They have a couple of big golf courses under construction, the winery industry is on the rise and now a stadium in the CBD that will reinvent the city.

It is a Tasmanian team not a Hobart team (from a Hobartian) big difference

There is a s**t show happening down here about the stadium with a big No (Nimby mainly older Tasmanians) v others. I am a yes for the stadium even though I disagree with AFL making it a requirement of entry. It is playing out in state parliament / social media etc and is ugly and cringeworthy

The team and the stadium will be transformative in a positive way for Tasmania, when it is built and the team is here along with a lot of infrastructure around the area it will be great.

I still think its reliant on the Tassie government for funding, ( just as the current Tasmanian games are ).
I don't trust that.
Victoria gov was going to put a rail link to VFL park.

As far as stadium use goes, its part of the equation, but there are a lot of factors involved, one being that its hard to truck equipment to Tassie.

Should get you a Foo fighters concert thought :D , maybe not Ed Shearen but oh well.

Better judges than me may have an opinion on the performances of 3 St Kilda NGAs playing for Sandringham Dragons in this recent game against Dandenong Stingrays. Midfielder William Nish (22) and wingman Josh Docking (13) named in best players. Adrian Cole (20) playing as a key defender.

Better judges than me may have an opinion on the performances of 3 St Kilda NGAs playing for Sandringham Dragons in this recent game against Dandenong Stingrays. Midfielder William Nish (22) and wingman Josh Docking (13) named in best players. Adrian Cole (20) playing as a key defender.

Docking seems the most likely and should fall past 40 at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back