Fyfe trip to cost him the 2015 Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

I also dont think it can be argued that he deliberately threw his foot out to connect to the leg. Unfortunately, anyone impartial (i.e. not Fremantle, Bulldogs, WCE or Hawthorn (simply because they cannot admit that a club or player is better than them) supporters) would acknowledge that it was a trip.
Must you ALWAYS post s**t like this? :rolleyes:

It's a classic case of psychological projection. If anything, it's Geelong fans like you who can't handle that Hawthorn supplanted your club as the best in the land. Get over it, mate. Geelong were a great side. WERE. Hawthorn probably pinched a flag off them in 2008, just like Geelong pinched St Kilda's flag in 2009. Then the Hawks improved: we zoomed past the mighty Cats and we won back to back flags. Deal with it. Quit your jealous bitching. This year (or maybe next year) someone will take our crown and we'll both be barracking for yesterday's heroes.

There is a simple reason why some Hawk fans would be calling for a suspension in this thread. Our champion forward, Roughead was the last AFL player to be suspended for tripping - a pretty similar incident from last August. Other Hawk fans remember how annoying that was and so they have sympathy for Fyfe.

Either way, it's a new rule for 2015 which the AFL (and media) hasn't really highlighted. For the past 20-30 years, you'd be suspended for kick/tripping, but now it appears you cop a fine… Which all seems fair enough… until someone gets hurt, that is... (and then we're back to arguing about appropriate penalties vs. the consistency of the MRP…)

Last edited:
I'd rate it Intentional, Medium Inpact.
Seriously if he threw that leg out with that force and hit the right area(Which luckily he didn't), there's no doubt it could of ended up as a broken leg for young Koby.

But that's my 2c.
What are you basing medium impact on? Stevens got up straight away and took his kick.
You would think if it was 'medium' impact he would have stayed on the ground, in pain, a little longer.

What are you basing medium impact on? Stevens got up straight away and took his kick.
You would think if it was 'medium' impact he would have stayed on the ground, in pain, a little longer.
No, I reckon that would be high impact.
Severe impact would be if he stayed on the ground, in pain, a little longer because he had a broken leg.

Low impact = you're stationary and you hold your foot out and your opponent trips over your foot
Medium impact = you swing your leg into their leg and trip them up.

This is what I reckon it should be. God knows what those MRP jokers will decide.

Last edited:
This thread has gone on way too long. Its a simple decision. Fyfe committed to intercepting Phtevens and got faked and did everything he could to continue the contest. Unfortunately he used his legs as a reflex and will get fined $1500.

He should be suspended but will get away with a fine. The AFL just aren't hard enough on tripping offences. A $1000 fine isn't a big enough disincentive for a potentially dangerous action

The commentators conditioned us for a fine, it makes the job of the MRP easy. Now if there is a suspension - there will be outrage. Whereas if they had of just kept their bib out of it, the MRP could have just evaluated the 'trip' on it's merits, which would've seen Fyfe suspended. Instead, once again we've seen the media influence an outcome. Which brings me to the point of - why do we even have an MRP?

The commentators conditioned us for a fine, it makes the job of the MRP easy. Now if there is a suspension - there will be outrage. Whereas if they had of just kept their bib out of it, the MRP could have just evaluated the 'trip' on it's merits, which would've seen Fyfe suspended. Instead, once again we've seen the media influence an outcome. Which brings me to the point of - why do we even have an MRP?
Why does the media influence the outcome? The main influence will be the new rules which means it's a fine and the outcome based actions that the MRP always follow. Had Stevens been injured, he'd get suspended. A lot of fans disagree with this but it is what occurs every week so I don't see it being favouritism or influence.

Last year Fyfe coped 2 weeks after a rule change. This year he gets off a week due to a rule change. The MRP still owe him a week ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's lucky.

Is he the only player to ever not get rubbed out on a tripping charge?

I'm not having a dig. He is the best player in the game and I hope he does win the Brownlow.
Him and the other 5-6 players this year up on the same charge in the previous rounds.

Imagine how Chris grant must feel got robbed of a Brownlow for less than that

I think he's lucky.

Is he the only player to ever not get rubbed out on a tripping charge?

I'm not having a dig. He is the best player in the game and I hope he does win the Brownlow.

He would have been the only player this year TO get rubbed out on a tripping charge

Even under the old system the normal penalty was a reprimand and carry over points

What is going on in this thread?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back