Rumour Gaff to Melbourne with a side trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing it's Gaff and the Gaff compensation pick to Melbourne for Petracca at this stage.
That would be a fascinating trade and would have to involve a 'wink wink' agreement beforehand to actually work, i.e. West Coast would have to say we'll give you Gaff via free agency as long as you trade Petracca to us a few days later. I'd imagine the AFL wouldn't like it, neither would the MFC members seeing a young fan favourite traded against his will.

That would be a fascinating trade and would have to involve a 'wink wink' agreement beforehand to actually work, i.e. West Coast would have to say we'll give you Gaff via free agency as long as you trade Petracca to us a few days later. I'd imagine the AFL wouldn't like it, neither would the MFC members seeing a young fan favourite traded against his will.
They were happy to give Geelong a good enough pick for Motlop to satisfy GC for GAJ though ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver, Petracca, McDonald, Jetta, Brayshaw have all signed this year. If Melbourne was dumb enough to offer Gaff $1.2m per year, I can't see the Eagles being even more stupid and matching in the hope of making us trade with them.

The deal is effectively signed off on. Gaff to Melbourne on $1.2M for 5 years with a side trade to WC of a very promising young mid. This trade facilitates a smooth transition. Gaff's manager is in Perth this week to finalise the details with WC. Me met Melbourne end of last week. Evidently it is all remarkably amicable.

Absolute nonsense.

Gaff isn't worth that coin and Melbourne does not need to throw in a side trade.

What might have been believable if the Gaff coin was a lot lower (circa $750k a year) and Melbourne were throwing in the side trade to ensure the Eagles wouldn't match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back