Gaming PC build. Approx $2000. June 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if it will be worthwhile to upgrade from 1060 to 1080 ti? I have a 4th gen I7 too,or wait for the new ones to come out? i can play all the new games at 1920x1280, comfortably so far, but not sure about the games lined up for next year. I am visiting Australia soon to 999 AUD is cheap for me in Euros, about 640 Euros. In Germany they are selling it for over 750 euros at the moment.

I wonder if it will be worthwhile to upgrade from 1060 to 1080 ti? I have a 4th gen I7 too,or wait for the new ones to come out? i can play all the new games at 1920x1280, comfortably so far, but not sure about the games lined up for next year. I am visiting Australia soon to 999 AUD is cheap for me in Euros, about 640 Euros. In Germany they are selling it for over 750 euros at the moment.
You should only be getting a 1080ti if you plan on gaming at 4k and/or using a monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate. Either way, it's overkill for FHD.

Thanks, i will stick to my 1060 then.

it depends on what you're after, what you're playing and how much your luxuries allowance is :p. 1070s, 80s & ti's might be overkill for 1080p (right now), but they give you more choices. no way a 1060 is delivering 8x SSAA in project cars 2 for instance (my 1080 struggles, but i realise this is partly due to my older i5).

i'm a fan of buying better than you need, because at some point you need it. and you don't strike me as a consumer strapped for cash ;)

it depends on what you're after, what you're playing and how much your luxuries allowance is :p. 1070s, 80s & ti's might be overkill for 1080p (right now), but they give you more choices. no way a 1060 is delivering 8x SSAA in project cars 2 for instance (my 1080 struggles, but i realise this is partly due to my older i5).

i'm a fan of buying better than you need, because at some point you need it. and you don't strike me as a consumer strapped for cash ;)

Not overkill if your monitor is 144hz or more.

Btw it doesn't have a power button. I thought the liberty of a power button was a given. Have to navigate to a menu through a controller on the back of the monitor to power off.
should just auto power off after not receiving any signal from the hdmi/display port connection after a few minutes...

Will auto power on too!

Anyone want to nit pick at this build I've quickly put together
  • CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
  • Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Trying to keep it under $900, which I seem to have been able to do I think.
Gives me a bit of spare cash to spend on peripherals and a monitor.

Edit: forgot to mention, will be used as a home pc with a bit of gaming. I don't really play anything that's too intensive on the graphics tbh

Last edited:
Anyone want to nit pick at this build I've quickly put together
  • CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
  • Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Trying to keep it under $900, which I seem to have been able to do I think.
Gives me a bit of spare cash to spend on peripherals and a monitor.

Edit: forgot to mention, will be used as a home pc with a bit of gaming. I don't really play anything that's too intensive on the graphics tbh

No graphics card?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AMD Ryzen 5 2400G has an integrated graphics card

I went with that option to cut costs a bit and get a better graphics card later on down the track. Plus, graphics cards seem to be very overpriced atm

Fair enough.

I recently got a GT 1030 for ~90 bucks which is enough for 1080p on low-med settings for most games, at 30-40FPS (which I have no issue with).

Here is a question for the gamers out there: is 8GB enough for gaming in 2018 or shall i look to upgrade to 16 GB?

the impact of not having enough RAM is too significant not to have more than what's necessary imo. don't think there's any title yet that wants 16 at the minimum, but we're already seeing 12/16 as recommended. of course, i bought 16 when RAM was ridiculously cheap. you, not so much! :p

and obviously, your mileage will vary depending on what else you might have running. right now i have steam, firefox with soundcloud, bigfooty, & google news. add windows processes and antivirus etc task manager says im at 21% RAM usage (windows 10). that'd only leave ~5GB if you were on 8.

the impact of not having enough RAM is too significant not to have more than what's necessary imo. don't think there's any title yet that wants 16 at the minimum, but we're already seeing 12/16 as recommended. of course, i bought 16 when RAM was ridiculously cheap. you, not so much! :p

and obviously, your mileage will vary depending on what else you might have running. right now i have steam, firefox with soundcloud, bigfooty, & google news. add windows processes and antivirus etc task manager says im at 21% RAM usage (windows 10). that'd only leave ~5GB if you were on 8.

Thanks for the answer, another question: if the specs are the same does laptop vs desktop makes any difference? the point being i am travelling for business (mostly within Europe, but sometimes to the US and asia as well) and i barely have the time to stay at home and play on a desktop. Some have said desktops are more powerful (with the same specs). I have Alienware laptop bought 3 years ago with 8 gb ram and works quite well still, will there be a difference if i opt for the desktop version?

Thanks for the answer, another question: if the specs are the same does laptop vs desktop makes any difference? the point being i am travelling for business (mostly within Europe, but sometimes to the US and asia as well) and i barely have the time to stay at home and play on a desktop. Some have said desktops are more powerful (with the same specs). I have Alienware laptop bought 3 years ago with 8 gb ram and works quite well still, will there be a difference if i opt for the desktop version?
Short answer.
Anything that creates heat gets gimped on a laptop, CPU & GPU.
Last gen i7 desktop is 4 core with 8 threads @3.6ghz.
Last gen i7 laptop is 2 core 4 thread @2.6ghz.
Same deal with cut down GPU cores running at lower clock speeds.

The alternate is you pay a metric s**t tonne for a performance gaming laptop (humougous & garish). They offer this better thermal cooling which completely defeats the true purpose of a laptop form factor.

Short answer.
Anything that creates heat gets gimped on a laptop, CPU & GPU.
Last gen i7 desktop is 4 core with 8 threads @3.6ghz.
Last gen i7 laptop is 2 core 4 thread @2.6ghz.
Same deal with cut down GPU cores running at lower clock speeds.

The alternate is you pay a metric s**t tonne for a performance gaming laptop (humougous & garish). They offer this better thermal cooling which completely defeats the true purpose of a laptop form factor.

Hang on, i thought i7 7920 HQ are 4 core 8 thread @3.1 ghz? this is the laptop i am looking at at the moment.

Apologies. I should have omitted the example from my initial answer..

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/m243546vs3647

Point still stands though. Laptop gear is gimped for heat & power consumption issues.

Gaming desktop v gaming laptop. I'd never buy a gaming laptop, but I rarely travel for work. Occasionally I take my laptop home with me and my last laptop upgrade I put a priority on form factor going from an unweildly 17" heavy brick to an 13" svelt Ultrabook for that barely bigger than a tablet ease of portability.

Integrated Intel HD graphics will actually allow you to play a surprising amount of titles fwiw....

honestly i've never owned a laptop but you'd definitely see a performance improvement by going to desktop. as Gold Member notes, laptops get insanely hot which slows them down. i don't know the technical details or % differences or anything, but if, say, nvidia could produce a laptop GPU that equalled that of a desktop- then we'd all be using them. modern GPUs are twice as thick as a laptop lol, id hope they were better at crunching the numbers!

that said, i would expect a 3yr old alienware laptop geared for gaming would manage most modern games reasonably well at modest resolutions. of course, that might depend on which games you were playing.

honestly i've never owned a laptop but you'd definitely see a performance improvement by going to desktop. as Gold Member notes, laptops get insanely hot which slows them down. i don't know the technical details or % differences or anything, but if, say, nvidia could produce a laptop GPU that equalled that of a desktop- then we'd all be using them. modern GPUs are twice as thick as a laptop lol, id hope they were better at crunching the numbers!

that said, i would expect a 3yr old alienware laptop geared for gaming would manage most modern games reasonably well at modest resolutions. of course, that might depend on which games you were playing.

Is it true for 1080p as well? as i am not looking to go beyond that or are you talking about higher resolutions?

sorry, is which bit true?

As far as i understand, usually when you play at resolutions higher than 1080p then GPU is really stretched. I have a 1060 6 GB one and i can play all the games comfortably! i am considering buying a desktop but i dont stay at home that much! so i am just wondering if an I7 ,7700 HQ for a laptop performs worse than that of a desktop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back