Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Never say the Packers players don't go the extra mile. Or Interstate Miles

Randall Woodfield drafted by Green Bay in 1974

With the 428th pick in the 1974 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers selected. . . one of the most violent killers in U.S. history. No one is saying football led Randall Woodfield down his dark path—but did it perhaps deter him from it, at least for a while?

Wonder if he would have been ok if drafted at 427?

she was helping track one of the most notorious serial murderers in U.S. history. Nicknamed the I-5 Killer, he had threaded a trail of almost unspeakable brutality up and down the upper left corner of America, killing in California, Oregon and possibly Washington. His orgy of violence started in the mid-1970s; by the time he’d gotten to Hull and Garcia, he’d already amassed a sizable necrology. Many more murders would follow.

Based on DNA evidence and advancing crime lab techniques, the I-5 Killer’s body count has climbed through the years. Cold case detectives have conservatively put that number at a dozen, though a few journalists and armchair detectives believe he’s responsible for as many as 44 deaths. And that doesn’t include a string of more than 100 other crimes, mostly robberies and rapes, that bear his hallmarks.

The I-5 Killer’s victims were mostly from the same subset: petite, Caucasian women in their teens or 20s. Sometimes they had declined his sexual advances and the killings seemed to be acts of retribution. Other times he didn’t know his victims at all. But he had his way with them and then snuffed out their lives because he could.

Asked about Woodfield in September, Bill Tobin, a longtime NFL exec who was Green Bay’s director of pro scouting in 1974, claimed not to recall Woodfield as a player, much less know that a former draft pick of his was a convicted killer. Yet Portland detectives maintain that the Packers quietly cut Woodfield in part because of off-field concerns. “I know that was a factor,” says Lawrence, “that he was caught exposing himself.”

But in the case of Randall Woodfield, it’s not merely an oversimplification to blame football; it’s at odds with the facts. If anything, football was a temporary source of salvation, delaying Woodfield’s horrific behavior. Survey the time line and it’s easy to make the case that football, beyond being a driving motivation for him, was also a distraction from a primal instinct that had, perhaps always, churned within. Only when football was no longer part of his life did he take a truly dark turn.

Anybody else know of this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back