Autopsy Geelong lose to WC by 9 points at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that also mean a SA club can FIFO for away games? Or if they leave they need to quarantine for two weeks?

My understanding was if they flew out for an away game they needed to quarantine coming back. Could be wrong or old rules. These covid rules change wevery 2nd day in some respect.
The two week rule is a WA invention. No other state has it.

St Kilda flew into Adelaide on Monday July 20, flew out that night

St Kilda flew into Adelaide on Saturday July 25, flew out that night

Port Adelaide flew into Brisbane on Thursday July 30, flew out that night

Adelaide flew into Gold Coast on Saturday August 01, flew out that day

I think my favourite passage from him i actually didn't pick up much of on first viewing but when looking at constable's involvements I saw that Chooks best passage from the first quarter was 100% made possible by close. Close read rhe play, blocked for Chook, ran to the front of the stoppage when Chook hit up his default outlet (Parfitt). After get and give under pressure Chook sent forward to Close who immediately sent to Miers.

Knows when to block and when to go, attacks by default, has the pace and the skills. Can't see a reason he's not a good long-term player for us.

Thats why i said he was a clever player - re the example of a passage of play he was involved in that you highlighted

The two week rule is a WA invention. No other state has it.

St Kilda flew into Adelaide on Monday July 20, flew out that night

St Kilda flew into Adelaide on Saturday July 25, flew out that night

Port Adelaide flew into Brisbane on Thursday July 30, flew out that night

Adelaide flew into Gold Coast on Saturday August 01, flew out that day

Fair enough.

So no hub in SA instead they are applying strict FIFO protocols.

That will be interesting the watch play out. If proved effective WA may adopt similar protocols later in the season.

It would be good to play finals in at least three states.

I see it differently. You enjoy the games more cause they're more important.
I don't really wanna sit through us playing Freo twice.
& I hate the bye rounds too.
Maybe if they stuck an extra final in or something, and a draft pick final for the crap teams it'd be allright.

Here here - thats what Chris Scott was highlighting in his after match presser - every game is vitally important - and i really like that aspect - and you get a condensed ladder - and a totally fair ladder . Look at the utter bullshiit - ( under a 22 draw ) where you can play a team in round 1 - and then you play them in round 10 - before you played all the other teams - that is utter nonsense

But according to alot of Big Footy posters ( who have played 1st grade nothing in their lives ) - Chris ( dual premiership player and flag winning coach ) knows nothing about anything

I can't understand the logic in thinking that 17 games is any way better than 22. The more games you play the less likely fluke winners occur.
Are you really saying 17 games where you play teams once only is not better than a compromised system where you are playing roulette with who your double ups are?

Absolutely 17 games is better.

Are you really saying 17 games where you play teams once only is not better than a compromised system where you are playing roulette with who your double ups are?

Absolutely 17 games is better.

Yep. Absolutely I am. 17 games means there's more likelihood of a lesser side fluking a premiership. The more games there are, the more durability, toughness, experience and of course skill are likely to triumph.

You only need to look at 1993 with a bizarre 20 game season. Essendon were anything but a dominant premiership team, and Wanganeen somehow won the Brownlow with only 18 votes. Also look at how strong Geelong were looking by the end of home and away but missed the finals. Add two more home and away games and it could have been very different.

In a 17 game season there aren't any double ups, but you don't get a second shot at a team if you have to play them away. Let's say you get West Coast and Fremantle in Perth, Brisbane in Brisbane, and Richmond at the MCG. I'm sure there would be absolutely no moaning and bleating on this board. None at all.

Here here - thats what Chris Scott was highlighting in his after match presser - every game is vitally important - and i really like that aspect - and you get a condensed ladder - and a totally fair ladder . Look at the utter bullshiit - ( under a 22 draw ) where you can play a team in round 1 - and then you play them in round 10 - before you played all the other teams - that is utter nonsense

But according to alot of Big Footy posters ( who have played 1st grade nothing in their lives ) - Chris ( dual premiership player and flag winning coach ) knows nothing about anything

Got a quote handy for that?

Yep. Absolutely I am. 17 games means there's more likelihood of a lesser side fluking a premiership. The more games there are, the more durability, toughness, experience and of course skill are likely to triumph.

You only need to look at 1993 with a bizarre 20 game season. Essendon were anything but a dominant premiership team, and Wanganeen somehow won the Brownlow with only 18 votes. Also look at how strong Geelong were looking by the end of home and away but missed the finals. Add two more home and away games and it could have been very different.

In a 17 game season there aren't any double ups, but you don't get a second shot at a team if you have to play them away. Let's say you get West Coast and Fremantle in Perth, Brisbane in Brisbane, and Richmond at the MCG. I'm sure there would be absolutely no moaning and bleating on this board. None at all.
That is a separate argument entirely. Just because it makes it easier to fluke something doesn’t mean the fixture itself is less fair.

Home and away can be sorted very simply. Reverse fixture every second season.

Once we get some talent back, and with a decent run of luck, we could do more than make up numbers, but I'll reserve judgement until we complete our Gabba jaunt. Saints and Port are going to be bigger tests than what we've already had, and NM are now back in form.

Agreed.

If Rickman were judged solely on hit outs Blake would be the best ever. They aren't.
Blake is massively overrated as a ruck. he was not elite. Averaged only 19 hit outs a game. Only managed 30 or more Hit outs four times in his career with his highest being 36. Dawson simpson has 3 games alone with over 50 hit outs. even zac smith and trent west average more hit outs per game then mark blake. Blake got dropped in 2009 despite ottens being injured not only because he could not influence around the ground but because his hit out work wasnt all that good. Kept hitting it to the wrong spots

ps in the game where nic nat and grundy split the hitouts nic nat had 6 disposals and grundy had 10. That must of been some 6 disposals for nic nat to have monstered him.

Last edited:

Why was the season only 20 games?

your theory by the way completely discredits the concept of finals as a farce. Which i kind of agree with.

Why was the season only 20 games?

your theory by the way completely discredits the concept of finals as a farce. Which i kind of agree with.
There was 3 less teams then.
Technically teams played each other more that year than a 22 season now.
Maybe that's why? I dunno?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches Votes - seems pretty even between the two:

West Coast v Geelong
10 Nic Naitanui (WCE)
6 Josh Kennedy (WCE)
4 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 Elliot Yeo (WCE)
4 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Tim Kelly (WCE)

WA clubs will ship out before Rd15 if there is no FIFO arrangment. No WA finals either. The two weeks makes it way too difficult to manage.

Difficult to manage finals football in multiple states but so far effective in keeping WA open and crowds at the footy.

AFL still hasnt ruled out Melbourne and the MCG. Which is getting pretty close to being ridiculous. Just like contemplating tye AFL GF at the GABBA.

Not impressed with Atkins or Dalhaus. Close looks a better option. Cockatoo would be a livewire down forward if he could string some games together. Perhaps even James Parsons. Rohan may not get a lot of the ball but he crashes the pack and scares the opposition with his speed. Plus he kicks straight.

I think Dahlhaus is criminally underrated around here. His clean hands and quality handball asking with his defensive and contested game makes him an extremely good half forward. There's a reason he finished so high in the B&F and was a critical part of the dogs premiership team.

Close looks a talent but I haven't watched his work off the ball at all. But he's clean and tough which is a nice combo and it looks like he has a bit of creativity with his kicking which we could use some more of (Ablett, Miers and Hawkins are our best). With Close, Fogarty, Simpson and Cockatoo competing for a small forward spot I wouldn't be surprised to see Atkins struggle to reclaim his place.

Difficult to manage finals football in multiple states but so far effective in keeping WA open and crowds at the footy.
Currently it would be very easy to have all finals in QLD. They have enough hotels/resorts booked and there's no cumbersome quarantine restrictions to fixture around.

AFL still hasnt ruled out Melbourne and the MCG. Which is getting pretty close to being ridiculous. Just like contemplating tye AFL GF at the GABBA.
Rather give it to Qld than WA, your state won’t even allow scratch matches and have put harder restrictions on the team .

QLD have done far more for the game than the meth heads in WA

You have a different opinion, that's the problem. Blind worship is required.

Hah, well I get the general gist of it - you need supporters who show up each week, rain, hail or shine. I've definitely stuck with the team over the years, and I've lived most of my life in South Australia, surrounded by Port and Crows supporters, so I think I've definitely paid for it haha. I just found it really difficult to deal with the game at 3qtr time. I knew the inexperienced players didn't have another quarter in them. I knew West Coast's cream would rise to the top. I knew blokes like Sav / Parf / Miers wouldn't hold their own. For a while now it's been feeling like the old brigade have been trying to pass the baton but there's no-one in the next generation willing to take it. Youngsters can really dig their heels in and stand up in situations like that one.

Based on ... what has changed your mind?
Let's reassess after the next 3 is my main message. I could see us lose all 3, and then we will not even be making up numbers. It's such a bizarre season, eg Freo v Pies ???Is Fyfe that much of an impact?

And he was quite poor when he did despite being in the most dominant side for the decade. even got dropped for 5 weeks when ottens was out he was so poor. We played mumford in his first season as sole ruck for 5 weeks because the more senior ruckman in blake couldnt handle it.

despite apparently being a hit out king mark blake only ever got atleast 30 hitouts in a game 4 times with his highest being 36. Compare that to a true hit out ruckman like dawson simpson who has numerous over 50 Hit out games. Even zac smith has vastly superior hit out stats to mark blake.
His TOG back then was always limited.
Blake played the 09 GF, so presumably found enough form to replace the Big Mummy.

I agree with this. Cream rises to the top and in saying so it can often take a little longer.

I look at the competition now and you can see that some teams are trying to make it a focus to jump out of the blocks and get a 4-5 goal head start which has proven on many occasions to be enough with the condensed time. It has already cost us a win against carlton.

Its also very easy for a bradbury style premiership with a shortened season due to injuries to any key players being heavily magnified for that period, and as a result the best couple of teams can miss out on the top four all together. Just take this condensed period with collingwood for example And how bad a spot it is putting them in.

the bigger the sample, the more accuracy there is to declare who is actually the best of the bunch compared to a shorter condensed period where variables even outside a teams control can have such a drastic impact and distort things.

Hah, well I get the general gist of it - you need supporters who show up each week, rain, hail or shine. I've definitely stuck with the team over the years, and I've lived most of my life in South Australia, surrounded by Port and Crows supporters, so I think I've definitely paid for it haha. I just found it really difficult to deal with the game at 3qtr time. I knew the inexperienced players didn't have another quarter in them. I knew West Coast's cream would rise to the top. I knew blokes like Sav / Parf / Miers wouldn't hold their own. For a while now it's been feeling like the old brigade have been trying to pass the baton but there's no-one in the next generation willing to take it. Youngsters can really dig their heels in and stand up in situations like that one.

Define stuck with the team over the years?? We have hardly missed finals for 14 years and generally predominantly been a top four side with 3 flags.

Your definition of stuck with them over the years i feel would make a melbourne or st kilda supporter look at you like the rich uptown london snob complaining with his top hat and cane stick that his watercrest sandwich is not cut properly triangularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back