No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

May I ask how old you are? I'm 32 and was too young to see 95.

I also live interstate so don't get the opportunity to go to the games week in and week out.

I follow to see premierships. If it was just to win games, we may as well not bother with a finals series. Just do what football does and give it to which ever team is on top at the end of the regular season.
35, so while I remember rather dimly the day I don't remember very much. It could also be said that while premierships are the goal, this sport is infinitely more enjoyable when your team is winning.

And the finals are (in my opinion) one of the best parts of the sport. Simply being the best is not enough; not here, not in Melbourne or Perth or Adelaide. No, you've to prove that you're the best by beating the rest. It is those games, those moments that are most remembered; it is for that reason that grand finals are prized.

But let's be unequivocal here. I'm aware that it might be an unpopular opinion, but losing constantly was a millstone around your neck during a Melbourne winter. You felt its weight as you did anything, and it grew heavier the closer to Friday you got; it might alleviate briefly due to a 10 point loss compared to an 80 point drubbing, but it was always there.

Could just be that I'm getting old. I used to say the high was worth the hangover, but now I'm not so sure.

My receptionist could have run Carlton better for most of the last 20 years- I kid you not. For such a storied Club - it has had more than its fair share of stoopids running the joint - it made supporting the Blues even more fun for me - but then again I am kinda 'different' when it comes to looking at things like football and tiddlewinks.

Get your mod off our board or maybe all the saints post in here 😡

Ok so thoughts on the saints Essendon game, who should we bring in with king out?.

Yeah and our board now has chief as a mod having removed ours.

Chief owns the site and nothing to do with our Board.

Be gone back to your own Board!

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by NETFLIX

Get your mod off our board or maybe all the saints post in here 😡
The Admins and Supers are covering while we get the new mods in.

Pretending you don't understand that does nobody any favours.

That's all I'll say about it. Thanks.

Sorry, utterly disagree.

Of that list, Collingwood can be said to have provided their fans with the most happiness; they've won more games over that period, including 2 flags and no less than 6 grand final appearances, and have ended the season atop the ladder more than both of the other two.

People overvalue how much happiness winning a flag gets you compared to how good winning in general feels. Dunno about you, but I do not think plumbing the depths for years on end is worth the flag if you can get one by doing the basics right.
This is an interesting perspective Geth but I have to say that for me the ultimate measure of success is premierships and that leads to the ultimate feeling of happiness in a footballing sense.

If you said to me that you can have your club play in every finals series over ten years with one flag or make the finals 5 times over that time for 2 or 3 then the second scenario would make me much, much happier.

Winning is a great feeling in any case but the feeling of winning a premiership can't ever be matched.

I am not a fan of excessive trading. As a rule, I am happier to see a second or third year player looking at opportunity or go home factor brought in than the journey man top ups.

Marquee types need to be assessed on an individual basis.

Think my posting has been consistent across the journey, with a preference for drafting.

I am not bloody minded lay against trading, but think it can be overdone and is always a potential risk to the “cultural and commitment of a playing group.

Cerra was one of my favourite non Carlton players, I was vocal that we should have drafted him over Dow.
Williams was another non Carlton “love”. Followed expansion teams closely and love his game style and skill set.
Saad was one I didn’t particularly want. Didn’t need two half back flankers recruited in one season, and as mentioned, was a Williams fan. Love Saady now.
Kennedy was another I was invested in at draft time and followed him closely at GWS. Happy with his acquisition given their ridiculous number of top line talent, some of whom lacked opportunity. (Setterfield was similar)
Loved Fogarty in the underage games pre draft. Was hard to see his “position”, but was a link man who mopped up for his hyped team mates.
I was anti McGovern from the start. Over rated and over paid. Has finally found some team ethos and I have some new found respect for him, finally.
Acres, I followed from the draft, through St Kilda and Freo. Always under rated. Happy enough to recruit, overjoyed at what he has brought to the team. K.I.S.S. principle player with great workrate. Deserves success.
Fantasia was a mistake, other than mentoring role. We have players who can offer as much and need the opportunity to do so.
Docherty was always Carlton and should not have been taken by Brisbane. Carlton man, obsessively so.
E.Hollands was being destroyed at the Suns. Poor coaching and cultural issues ensuing. Little bro became the connection, no brainer at the bargain price. Loved him at the draft. Late pick for top ten talent, you don’t overlook.
Martin was and still is an enigma. Sublime junior talent, treated like a god, when he was a misguided kid. Had mixed feelings when we got him as plenty of damage was done. Love aspects of him, but like Gov, has not worked hard enough to maximise his talent or give to his team. Players and Voss love him, so good recommendation. Want more output.
Marchbank was never at home in Sydney. Happy we acquired him. Most of our posters don’t realise how highly he is rated and why. Finds new ways to miss games. Real conundrum. Love him, but love Kempy too.
Newman was not wanted by “Horse”. Good value in Fantasy footy early, but was shunted around and never set at Sydney. Bargain pick up who is a very admirable clubman and footballer.
Pittonet was always the back up at Hawthorn and came across as back up, likely to get a bit more opportunity.Has been valuable despite only managing to play a couple or games fully fit.
Hewett, I didn’t want. Excess to needs in my opinion. Doesn’t stop me having respect for his commitment and contribution. Become a true Carlton man after receiving little love from his past coach.
I wanted Young, plenty of talent, but very fragile mentally. Needs to feel wanted and needed. Not sure how valuable he will be as a “back up”
Boyd is not a trade, only listed and played VFL at the kennel.
Big Durds a good value MSD pick u, rather than trade. Soft tissue has cruelled him, AFL quality if he gets a run at it.
Very much respect and enjoy your opinions. Just in this case I thought it was a bit ironic to have a crack at another team when we do the same. You are perfectly entitled to it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much respect and enjoy your opinions. Just in this case I thought it was a bit ironic to have a crack at another team when we do the same. You are perfectly entitled to it though.
The comment was due to the Brisbane list management strategy/ policy. The have put pinch hitters and “cheapies” around Andrews and not invested in the area. They then poach a bloke who has done his rehab at his club, the club that signed, supported and made him a leader. Repeat, I am not a fan of opportunist poaching.

Adding Neale and Dunkley to the established stars being poached list. They low ball their developing players to accommodate stars. Even Fort was a poaching, although he was supposedly for opportunity, which then dried up.

Then let’s start on the Daniher subterfuge…

The comment was due to the Brisbane list management strategy/ policy. The have put pinch hitters and “cheapies” around Andrews and not invested in the area. They then poach a bloke who has done his rehab at his club, the club that signed, supported and made him a leader. Repeat, I am not a fan of opportunist poaching.

Adding Neale and Dunkley to the established stars being poached list. They low ball their developing players to accommodate stars. Even Fort was a poaching, although he was supposedly for opportunity, which then dried up.

I get your pov.

I guess my stance was ring ins are part and parcel of the footy landscape and we’ve had our fair share over the years.

My bro (a cats fan) used to always boast about their home grown talent but for the last 20 years his tune has changed starting with Brad Ottens.

I guess if it gets you a flag it is a boast that talent wants to come to a destination club!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But that's just the thing: it's not just them.

Henderson is a premiership winning KPD; Casboult was whilst on our list the best 3rd tall/ruck in the comp and is still playing the game; even when we couldn't develop players to save ourselves, we managed to develop them into AFL caliber players.

Fev. Jamison.

While I get the impetus to argue draft vs development (coupled with an accurate assessment of what we used to do rather poorly in player development) but just because a player is well credentialled pre-recruitment doesn't mean they'll come on. You've got any number of high draft pick KPF's who haven't lived up to the hype, you've got players like Watts and Tippett who had exceedingly average careers because their clubs didn't know how to get what they could do to work. We need to realise that part of our improvement as a whole has been to truly get what we do well and to expand on it, and I think we do our KPP's pretty well.
Sure, I'm just not sure how much previous regime's development or lack thereof is applicable to our current football department.

It wasn't too long ago that we were hailing the completed reset, subsequent stability and it's apparent effect on the playing group.

How much of the development of KP players from before the reset are we to figure into the current regime's ability to do the same?

Do we then also say the stark inability to develop other players pre-reset has bled over to the current football department?

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets face it...the Lions are just bums.

Mass exodus on the Saints board?

Mayhem
It's been said before...
May as well spin it again😉
After all, holidays are upon us.

🎵sing it loud folks

Doodooh- de do do do do dooh
Rabble rabble
St.Kilda's a mess

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad