No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there not a suggestion that these 'men' used their seniority within these relationships, hence the term 'inappropriate'? If that is the case, then these women may have felt some pressure to engage in these relationships. That could make them victims. It would be worth reserving judgement on all concerned until, and only if you have to, we are given more and more information we as joe public do not need...

Both parties have choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have had a LONG standing motto from my many years as management. Its a little crude but it is golden advice I have always stuck to.

Never screw the crew.

It rarely ends well and is absolutely fraught with danger.

They've resigned from probably the best jobs they'll ever have, trashed their careers and their reps. I've no idea how their family life is but that's probably circling the bowl as well .

That would suggest they're in the wrong.
Everybody has choices. I used to work for a big company and the amount of women that used to sleep their way up the ranks was staggering.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I feel that it's because someone was going to say something and the AFL were forced to go on the front foot.
There's likely another layer to this story.
People are always going to gossip.

Doesn't make going public the right thing to do. I'm not sure about you, but having my dirty laundry aired in the Herald Sun wouldn't be my preference, so why would I be hypocritical in participating in this sordid stuff that, I say again, simply isn't any of my business?

AFL are stupid in the extreme by having the press conference; they let air to the whispers. Now everyone can talk about this, without shame, because it's news.

People are always going to gossip.

Doesn't make going public the right thing to do. I'm not sure about you, but having my dirty laundry aired in the Herald Sun wouldn't be my preference, so why would I be hypocritical in participating in this sordid stuff that, I say again, simply isn't any of my business?

AFL are stupid in the extreme by having the press conference; they let air to the whispers. Now everyone can talk about this, without shame, because it's news.

Gossip alone wouldn't have brought about two sackings and an emergency press conference.
I say sacking because these two individuals must have been coerced to leave their cushy posts. Why simply give them up on grounds of infidelity?

I had the early impression given the term 'junior' being used, that some impressionable teens were lured in by these monsters, yet that now doesn't seem to be quite the case.

We don't have all the facts yet and maybe we don't want them nor care for them, but there does seem to be more going on than just some adults having a little bit of consensual 'fun'

Gossip alone wouldn't have brought about two sackings and an emergency press conference.
I say sacking because these two individuals must have been coerced to leave their cushy posts. Why simply give them up on grounds of infidelity?

I had the early impression given the term 'junior' being used, that some impressionable teens were lured in by these monsters, yet that now doesn't seem to be quite the case.

We don't have all the facts yet and maybe we don't want them nor care for them, but there does seem to be more going on than just some adults having a little bit of consensual 'fun'
I'm not about conjecture, whether there is smoke or fire. If the AFL fired two employees for whatever, that's their business, I just don't see why it's ours.

The press release smacks of being seen to do the right thing. Surely firing them for their misdeeds is enough, without letting all and sundry know of their sins?

I don't think much of the americanisarion of Australian culture, and the public confession/shaming that comes with it.

I'm not about conjecture, whether there is smoke or fire. If the AFL fired two employees for whatever, that's their business, I just don't see why it's ours.
The press release smacks of being seen to do the right thing. Surely firing them for their misdeeds is enough, without letting all and sundry know of their sins?

I don't think much of the americanisarion of Australian culture, and the public confession/shaming that comes with it.

It's ridiculous but what I'm suggesting is that the AFL may have been forced to take action for underlying reasons. That makes sense to me.

We'll see whether they've put out the fire or whether it's still raging away......as for tabloids? Why bother?

Both parties have choices.
Yep. One party's choice is to "get what I want or do right by my wife and family" and the other party's choice (potentially) is "go along with this or risk losing my job, risk my career, have my reputation sullied...".

There is an imbalance in this scenario... it's potentially why they've suggested the relationship is inappropriate. A balanced sexual relationship between two parties of equal power, while inconsiderate of external parties, hardly constitutes a reason for removal from one's job. It is the power imbalance in this situation that has led to these men being 'fired', not the fact that they've cheated on their wives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying it's happened here but I think when such things happen it's more likely that dismissal's been associated with inappropriate expenditure. Such as taking someone your have a relationship with on an official trip and claiming expenses on their behalf etc. I know one friend whose boss was having an affair with my friends subordinate. Strangely the subordinate would accompany the boss on all overseas trips where my mate who should have been going was left behind. Anyway the affair was reported by a contractor whose contact wasn't renewed and no action was taken (plausible deniability?) besides subordinate being moved to another area under different line management.

TLDR, it's usually the credit card that bites the office affair.

Yep. One party's choice is to "get what I want or do right by my wife and family" and the other party's choice (potentially) is "go along with this or risk losing my job, risk my career, have my reputation sullied...".

There is an imbalance in this scenario... it's potentially why they've suggested the relationship is inappropriate. A balanced sexual relationship between two parties of equal power, while inconsiderate of external parties, hardly constitutes a reason for removal from one's job. It is the power imbalance in this situation that has led to these men being 'fired', not the fact that they've cheated on their wives.

And that happens quite regularly, unfortunately.

Would relate a story that happened to me by way of my female boss when I was young, but it wouldn't fit the model.

And that happens quite regularly, unfortunately.

Would relate a story that happened to me by way of my female boss when I was young, but it wouldn't fit the model.

A nice example of the 'What about the Mens' phallacy (spelling intended)...

Your anecdote, while likely true and perhaps even something that happens more frequently than people believe, is inconsequential when you consider the structural imbalances that impact women. While your scenario illustrates a situational power imbalance, it is not the norm. The implications for you were immediate. However, if you were honest with yourself, you would know that you could walk out of that situation and not expect that it would have any impact on your long term career prospects. The same cannot be said of the opposite. These women, trying to forge a career in sports, would likely fear that they could not walk away from this job with impunity.

Does this mean that it can't happen to men... no. But it's fallacious to suggest that a even playing field exists for men and women, and that the impacts for men are just as severe as they are for women. The power imbalance impacting women is structural.

Who remembers this gem?
d30aa11b3a01139ab468707e84127099.jpg

A nice example of the 'What about the Mens' phallacy (spelling intended)...

Your anecdote, while likely true and perhaps even something that happens more frequently than people believe, is inconsequential when you consider the structural imbalances that impact women. While your scenario illustrates a situational power imbalance, it is not the norm. The implications for you were immediate. However, if you were honest with yourself, you would know that you could walk out of that situation and not expect that it would have any impact on your long term career prospects. The same cannot be said of the opposite. These women, trying to forge a career in sports, would likely fear that they could not walk away from this job with impunity.

Does this mean that it can't happen to men... no. But it's fallacious to suggest that a even playing field exists for men and women, and that the impacts for men are just as severe as they are for women. The power imbalance impacting women is structural.

:) You haven't even heard me out yet you're putting forward a generalization. OK.

Of course it happens more to women but to be dismissive of the impact it may have upon some men.........is, well.......dismissive

:) You haven't even heard me out yet you're putting forward a generalization. OK.

Of course it happens more to women but to be dismissive of the impact it may have upon some men.........is, well.......dismissive
My apologies... please tell us about the long term impacts this situation had on your career prospects.

Am I wrong in saying that James Hird is the only person to have ever twice been found guilty of bringing the AFL into disrepute?

He was central to one of the darkest periods in AFL history.

Plenty of analogies out there already but I think Carlton are a good example of how long it takes for the AFL public to forgive a significant wrong. We were in the wilderness for over 10-15 years because of our clubs misdeeds.

The AFL have pulled the wrong rein here. Neither James (the bloke has his personal demons) nor the AFL public are ready for this step. Maybe in a few years but it's too soon.

They seem to be forgetting that the 2017 Norm Smith Medal is not about honoring James Tird, it's about honoring the 2017 Norm Smith Medalist.

How will the winner feel about it? We don't know, because we don't know who it is yet. Will he feel honored being presented the medal by Tird? Maybe he will. Maybe he won't care. Or maybe he'll be thinking "Why is this cheating scumbag presenting my medal?"
Why risk tarnishing the occasion for the as yet unnamed player in what will likely be the highest individual honor in his footy career?

They seem to be forgetting that the 2017 Norm Smith Medal is not about honoring James Tird

For the AFL, it is. Gillian McGuire is making a gesture of reconciliation to return Hird to the fold.

Dream scenario: Port Adelaide fluke a Grand Final and best player Paddy Ryder declines to receive the medal!

Frankly Harks, I think you may been a little dismissive yourself. It's incongruous of you to claim that you believe that there indeed exists a structural imbalance, while simultaneously posing an anecdote that attempts to diminish that position.

Furthermore, I did not suggest that it doesn't happen to men. However, one swallow a summer it does not make. Your argument is more akin to saying that there is no such thing as climate change because it's been an unusually cold winter. When they all become unusual cold then there's something to discuss... similarly, when men find themselves on the receiving end of structural inequalities thrust upon them by the now majority of women in power, then we can talk.

Last edited:
For the AFL, it is. Gillian McGuire is making a gesture of reconciliation to return Hird to the fold.

Dream scenario: Port Adelaide fluke a Grand Final and best player Paddy Ryder declines to receive the medal!
You know what the worst case scenario is though, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back