Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vividly remember 07-13, 14-17 and some very sh*t individual seasons in 96, 97, 99, 03 and 2019. But 65-86 must’ve been ******* dire. Were there any years where there was hope (sans 65 where we started well)? Or was it pretty much like 07-13 where the season looked shot to bits 15 minutes into the first round?
It was all bad mate, was a s**t storm, apart from 1976 where we missed the finals by 2 points, was an incredibly depressing era. The one uplifting thing for us back then was Robert Flower, made us all hope, but he was only one person. As good as we think Petracca and Oliver are, Flower was levels above them.

Apparently Goodwin and Yze are sick is the new no news article.

I own a cocktail/wine bar in Perth and goody and the whole coaching team came in Wednesday night with Gazza for beers and a heap of food. Ooze, Stafford, hoppy, Byrnes, Chaplin, the lot. I was like a little boy meeting Santa for the first time…

Until today driving up to the open training and on the radio I hear ooze and goody have gastro. Almost crashed. Spoke to maxy today who assured me it wasn’t my fault and couldn’t stop laughing hahaha.

You honestly can’t write this s**t…

I own a cocktail/wine bar in Perth and goody and the whole coaching team came in Wednesday night with Gazza for beers and a heap of food. Ooze, Stafford, hoppy, Byrnes, Chaplin, the lot. I was like a little boy meeting Santa for the first time…

Until today driving up to the open training and on the radio I hear ooze and goody have gastro. Almost crashed. Spoke to maxy today who assured me it wasn’t my fault and couldn’t stop laughing hahaha.

You honestly can’t write this sh*t…

You've got a ripper yarn to dine out on for the rest of your life, especially if we get up next week!

I saw this thing with Shaun Smith talking about his famous mark of the year vs Brisbane and a random thought popped into my head. Pretty sure this game was on delay but at some point the coverage accidentally went live then went back on delay. I remember the score wasn't great at the live point so knew what to expect. Mind you I was nine at the time so I could have imagined it, but does anyone remember anything like this?

I saw this thing with Shaun Smith talking about his famous mark of the year vs Brisbane and a random thought popped into my head. Pretty sure this game was on delay but at some point the coverage accidentally went live then went back on delay. I remember the score wasn't great at the live point so knew what to expect. Mind you I was nine at the time so I could have imagined it, but does anyone remember anything like this?
Yep you're correct. When things werent looking good I knew we had a goal from the Wizard up our sleeve. Then he eventually kicked it & I knew we were screwed.

Today is the one month anniversary of our big prelim final win against Geelong. Crazy, but true.
This 2 week wait is shitting me. I don’t mind it for the Super Bowl but it feels half arsed, there’s not the extra events.

You honestly can’t write this sh*t…
Did you serve the dodgy linguine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Figure it's been long enough for you to decide to buy The Weekend Aus, or not. Here's my article from it:

The agony of being a Melbourne Demons fan
PETE FAIRBAIRN

Surely it’s not meant to feel like this? Twenty-one years since the Melbourne Football Club last played in an AFL grand final, and 57 since they last won one, they’re back in the big dance. Yet for diehard supporters like me, this isn’t a whole lot of fun.
For a Melbourne fan, fun is usually reserved for deciding which first-round draft pick to take after another disappointing season, or perhaps who our next senior coach should be.

We’re accustomed to losing more games than we win, to being a team that elicits a response of “oh, that’s nice” when somebody asks who you support.

We’re accustomed to not being a threat. And now that we are, many of us are feeling a sense of crippling anxiety that makes us wonder if it would be easier if we actually weren’t a very good football team.

To truly understand the plight of the Demons, and accordingly the Dees’ supporters, you need to take a crash-course in the history of the oldest footy club in the country.

Twelve premierships, before the curse of Norm Smith came into play when the nine-time Dees premiership winner (three as a player, six as a coach) was sensationally sacked midway through his premiership defence in 1965. Yes, he was reinstated within a week, but the damage was done and the longest premiership drought in the competition was under way.

Since then, it’s been heartbreak after heartbreak — 23 years without finals, before the infamous Jim Stynes 15m penalty that cost the team a chance to play off in the 1987 grand final.

The shellacking of the 1988 grand final, of the 1994 preliminary final, of the 2000 grand final. The passing of Troy Broadbridge, Robbie Flower, Dean Bailey, Sean Wight and Stynes himself.

The tanking saga. The unfairly short Melbourne careers of the incredibly talented Allan Jakovich and Liam Jurrah, Mitch Clark and even Jesse Hogan. Who’d want to be the next great big hope?

Neale Daniher’s MND diagnosis. Missing the finals by the smallest percentage in history (2017), making it as far as a prelim the following year (cue another shellacking), back to 17th in 2019.

Story after story of the draft and trade busts, the disastrous appointment of Mark Neeld and the ostracisation of club stalwarts such as James McDonald, Brad Green and Brent Moloney.

You make a list like this, and you know you’ve left out so much. The purpose of it isn’t to garner pity, but to help explain why qualifying for the 2021 grand final as favourites doesn’t bring simple joy, but in fact nerves so intense you wonder if it would’ve been easier to bow out with a respectable preliminary final loss and an 8/10 season.

Why does supporting Melbourne do this to us? And why is it I am considering the need to watch this game alone, as opposed to with fellow Dees supporting friends and family?

My wife, a Richmond supporter, seemed thoroughly to enjoy the build-up to each of their three premierships in recent years — as opposed to wishing the whole thing would just hurry up so we could get through the inevitable letdown.

But the build-up to this grand final is going to be complete agony. Our beloved Nathan Jones has departed the West to return home and welcome twins with his wife Jerri, robbing him of the outside possibility of a recall on the biggest stage of all after celebrating his 300th game earlier this year before dropping out of the team. Melbourne’s law says we pick up a couple of injury niggles over the next week — and he’s not there to capitalise on the opportunity.

We are, of course, playing a grand final in Perth while the majority of diehard Dees fans are unable to attend, locked down in Melbourne and trying to pretend that this is all OK.

I’ve been at the last two grand finals and continue to wait anxiously to see if Mark McGowan will ease restrictions allowing Queenslanders into the Democratic People’s Republic of West Australia, though I don’t hold a lot of hope.

The team clearly believes, so that’s something, and looking around the group you can see why. We’ve got Max Gawn. We’ve got Kozzy Pickket, and mighty mouse Charlie Spargo, and lifelong Dees supporter James Harmes. Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch, Langdon, Viney. Big Benny Brown. Christian Salem’s left foot.

We’ve got the cattle, but do we have the fortitude? Let’s hope the players do, because many of us supporters do not.

Sports PR executive Pete Fairbairn is a lifelong Melbourne supporter

Figure it's been long enough for you to decide to buy The Weekend Aus, or not. Here's my article from it:

PETE FAIRBAIRN

Surely it’s not meant to feel like this? Twenty-one years since the Melbourne Football Club last played in an AFL grand final, and 57 since they last won one, they’re back in the big dance. Yet for diehard supporters like me, this isn’t a whole lot of fun.
For a Melbourne fan, fun is usually reserved for deciding which first-round draft pick to take after another disappointing season, or perhaps who our next senior coach should be.

We’re accustomed to losing more games than we win, to being a team that elicits a response of “oh, that’s nice” when somebody asks who you support.

We’re accustomed to not being a threat. And now that we are, many of us are feeling a sense of crippling anxiety that makes us wonder if it would be easier if we actually weren’t a very good football team.

To truly understand the plight of the Demons, and accordingly the Dees’ supporters, you need to take a crash-course in the history of the oldest footy club in the country.

Twelve premierships, before the curse of Norm Smith came into play when the nine-time Dees premiership winner (three as a player, six as a coach) was sensationally sacked midway through his premiership defence in 1965. Yes, he was reinstated within a week, but the damage was done and the longest premiership drought in the competition was under way.

Since then, it’s been heartbreak after heartbreak — 23 years without finals, before the infamous Jim Stynes 15m penalty that cost the team a chance to play off in the 1987 grand final.

The shellacking of the 1988 grand final, of the 1994 preliminary final, of the 2000 grand final. The passing of Troy Broadbridge, Robbie Flower, Dean Bailey, Sean Wight and Stynes himself.

The tanking saga. The unfairly short Melbourne careers of the incredibly talented Allan Jakovich and Liam Jurrah, Mitch Clark and even Jesse Hogan. Who’d want to be the next great big hope?

Neale Daniher’s MND diagnosis. Missing the finals by the smallest percentage in history (2017), making it as far as a prelim the following year (cue another shellacking), back to 17th in 2019.

Story after story of the draft and trade busts, the disastrous appointment of Mark Neeld and the ostracisation of club stalwarts such as James McDonald, Brad Green and Brent Moloney.

You make a list like this, and you know you’ve left out so much. The purpose of it isn’t to garner pity, but to help explain why qualifying for the 2021 grand final as favourites doesn’t bring simple joy, but in fact nerves so intense you wonder if it would’ve been easier to bow out with a respectable preliminary final loss and an 8/10 season.

Why does supporting Melbourne do this to us? And why is it I am considering the need to watch this game alone, as opposed to with fellow Dees supporting friends and family?

My wife, a Richmond supporter, seemed thoroughly to enjoy the build-up to each of their three premierships in recent years — as opposed to wishing the whole thing would just hurry up so we could get through the inevitable letdown.

But the build-up to this grand final is going to be complete agony. Our beloved Nathan Jones has departed the West to return home and welcome twins with his wife Jerri, robbing him of the outside possibility of a recall on the biggest stage of all after celebrating his 300th game earlier this year before dropping out of the team. Melbourne’s law says we pick up a couple of injury niggles over the next week — and he’s not there to capitalise on the opportunity.

We are, of course, playing a grand final in Perth while the majority of diehard Dees fans are unable to attend, locked down in Melbourne and trying to pretend that this is all OK.

I’ve been at the last two grand finals and continue to wait anxiously to see if Mark McGowan will ease restrictions allowing Queenslanders into the Democratic People’s Republic of West Australia, though I don’t hold a lot of hope.

The team clearly believes, so that’s something, and looking around the group you can see why. We’ve got Max Gawn. We’ve got Kozzy Pickket, and mighty mouse Charlie Spargo, and lifelong Dees supporter James Harmes. Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch, Langdon, Viney. Big Benny Brown. Christian Salem’s left foot.

We’ve got the cattle, but do we have the fortitude? Let’s hope the players do, because many of us supporters do not.

That pretty much sums up my life with the MFC. I'm leaning towards watching alone too - it will just annoy the sh!t out of me to hear other people saying we are going to win (or lose). I can't say I'm looking forward to the day, more just gritting my teeth and hoping to survive it. I'll enjoy it if we are 50 points up in the last quarter...

The time to really enjoy it is when you watch the replay for the first time. You know the result, so no stress there. You get to actually watch it closely and notice the things you missed live and you get to bask in the glory again (hopefully) and again and again. :thumbsu:
Imagine rocking up to the G to see it live though, ahhh if only.

The time to really enjoy it is when you watch the replay for the first time. You know the result, so no stress there. You get to actually watch it closely and notice the things you missed live and you get to bask in the glory again (hopefully) and again and again. :thumbsu:
Imagine rocking up to the G to see it live though, ahhh if only.
Yes, will be recording it for hopeful later enjoyment. Strangely enough, I can handle the stress, and even losing, when I go to the game. It's only when I'm watching on TV I can't handle it.

PETE FAIRBAIRN

Mate, why didn't you put a 69 on the end of your big footy username like the great nickgrant69?

Yes, will be recording it for hopeful later enjoyment. Strangely enough, I can handle the stress, and even losing, when I go to the game. It's only when I'm watching on TV I can't handle it.

I'm the same. Don't know why. Can sit through a loss when at the game and have no issues. At home watching on the TV? I'm going off like a cut snake.

I actually remain pretty calm when watching, but my old man is an absolute stresshead - I find it really hard to watch with him. And my Mum likes to chime in with observatins, thinking she's helping, like if we're 10 goals down and kick one she'll say "oh there's still time" and it drives me round the twist lol.

And my Mum likes to chime in with observatins, thinking she's helping, like if we're 10 goals down and kick one she'll say "oh there's still time" and it drives me round the twist lol.

lol, nothing worse than those people.

lol, nothing worse than those people.
My mum was the same.
Usually I am very calm at the game but agitated at home too, although at some recent games I've been a bit of a goose. Surprisingly I was very calm watching QB until I got on the bus back to Canberra and could properly stew on it.

Not directly melbourne in the now, but i love it when some of our old boys do well

"DAVEY LEADS LIONS TO DROUGHT-BREAKING FLAG:

The Aaron Davey-coached Cairns City Lions have broken a 38-year premiership drought after winning the AFL Cairns Grand Final yesterday.

It has been a phenomenal achievement from Davey when you consider where the club has come from in recent years.

The Lions 15.12 (102) defeated Cairns Saints 14.7 (91) in a dramatic contest that included a power outage in the final term.

A handful of players with NTFL connections played vital roles in the Lions’ win yesterday."

242300669_3977035475733639_3789186234942454385_n.jpg

Mate, why didn't you put a 69 on the end of your big footy username like the great nickgrant69?
I always assumed it was because Nick is about 52. He’s always struck me as an elder statesman of this board. Not sure what else ‘69’ would mean? 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back