Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club is so incredibly inept. Given how much of that is due to decades of corrupt old boys behaviour we definitely get off very lightly. How many clubs are there which find a way to embarrass themselves so consistently year after year? Even when we put ourselves in a good position (2018 prelim, St Kilda win this year, playing our best football in 2017) we manage to eventually utensil it up in such a way that it would have been better to have just not tried in the first place.

At this stage I don’t even care about winning flags so much as just seeing some kind of consistency over two to three years. As a 25yo Dees fan that alone would be a first.

Stumbled across this today, not a ******* hope in hell would a discussion like this take place on tv anymore unless it was scripted and planned to within an inch of its life. Crazy.

Wish Ox snotted that condescending campaigner

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

That was funny watching. Sam newman is a dickhead as always getting stuck into people, and The Ox aint perfect and was in the midst of a deep problem he really wasn't self aware of at the time

I was watching 1991 Vs north and damn is it interesting looking at the players in that games
First off you have two current AFL coaches in the game with Longmire and Bevo, (Clarko not playing)
Then you have fathers, Shaun Smith, Paul Spargo and Mark Brayshaw as a late replacement on North's side, and Todd Viney on ours. That's 4 fathers of current melbourne players in the one game

Stumbled across this today, not a ******* hope in hell would a discussion like this take place on tv anymore unless it was scripted and planned to within an inch of its life. Crazy.

Hate to say it, but Sam was right (snide and condescending as he was). Ox was in a state of delusion and I'm sure he cringes hard when he sees this video now. Fortunately he pulled himself together years later. You can only hope that Travis and Daniel got themselves back on track too.

Hate to say it, but Sam was right (snide and condescending as he was). Ox was in a state of delusion and I'm sure he cringes hard when he sees this video now. Fortunately he pulled himself together years later. You can only hope that Travis and Daniel got themselves back on track too.
Remember seeing on open Mike he was still relapsing atleast as early as 4 years ago. No idea about TJ.

Goody has split from his wife as well.

Hopefully no unsavoury relationships with junior club staffers, but who knows.
Hopefully, but it's suspicious how many relationships seem to have broken down post exiting the hubs (and the stories about Rohan, Bucks, et al). I suppose things could've already been rocky and it was the final nail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got a ballot paper for the MFC board in the mail.

Four positions, five candidates, only one of whom isn't an existing director... some guy called Peter Lawrence. Anyone know anything about him?

Four positions, five candidates, only one of whom isn't an existing director... some guy called Peter Lawrence. Anyone know anything about him?
Peter is a non-executive director with over 35 years’ experience in finance, accounting, and general management across various large companies.

A Chartered Accountant and Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, Peter truly excels in strengthening organisations, and their performance, by bolstering their financial and management capabilities.

Having held director positions for multiple boards, including sports administration and education bodies, Peter brings a wealth of knowledge, experience, and connections to all his roles, in addition to his trademark passion and unwavering commitment.

Peter has a strong-track record of fundraising with successful efforts in generating over $500 million to build a mobile phone network in the Philippines, the new British School in Manila, and attracting sponsorship for Philippine Rugby Football Union (PRFU) and overseeing a period of successful progression to Asia’s top tier competition.

Beyond his career, Peter is a loyal member of the Melbourne Football Club of 27 years and is a Foundation Legend (Silver).

MFC Membership:
MFC Foundation Legend (Silver), Gold Player Sponsor (men/women), Chairman’s Club Member, Inner Sanctum Member, Trident Member, Women's Foundation Member, AFLW player host (4 years), Santa Teresa Oval Project Donor, Demon Army Member

I was wondering the same thing. And why is the club recommending to re-elect the existing board members?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. And why is the club recommending to re-elect the existing board members?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I don’t know, but is it that there are sometimes these “tickets” or groups who go forward and as must have been previously come and go as there is never an competition? I don’t mind the mix/competition on a board especially if the new blood seems motivated.

Sounds like the board tried to deter him from running (“we took steps to avoid costly re-election process”) but he met the constitution requirements to run so they’re obliged to run with it. The board is basically saying don’t vote for him. Be interesting if we hear anything from this blokes side but get the feeling he’s on a hiding to nothing.

Sounds like the board tried to deter him from running (“we took steps to avoid costly re-election process”) but he met the constitution requirements to run so they’re obliged to run with it. The board is basically saying don’t vote for him. Be interesting if we hear anything from this blokes side but get the feeling he’s on a hiding to nothing.
Probably should vote for him then

I mean what have the board done since the AFL and Peter Jackson left that has been much good anyway?

I mean if you look at it objectively the fact that our president was an ex West Coast Eagles player is pretty ******* embarrassing

Probably should vote for him then

I mean what have the board done since the AFL and Peter Jackson left that has been much good anyway?

I mean if you look at it objectively the fact that our president was an ex West Coast Eagles player is pretty ******* embarrassing
I'm sorry but is this a piss take mate?

The current board oversaw our club not go into further debt (but actually out of debt), ticked off ooze and Williams joining, added sponsors during the 2020 season, and one of only 6 non assisted clubs in the AFL after the season ended.

Further to that, we are one of the wealthiest clubs in terms of assets and liabilities.

If this board can oversee a footy oval/social club home base inside the G precinct, they all deserve a ******* statue outside the MCC gates as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry but is this a piss take mate?

The current board oversaw our club not go into further debt (but actually out of debt), ticked off ooze and Williams joining, added sponsors during the 2020 season, and one of only 6 non assisted clubs in the AFL after the season ended.

Further to that, we are one of the wealthiest clubs in terms of assets and liabilities.

If this board can oversee a footy oval/social club home base inside the G precinct, they all deserve a ******* statue outside the MCC gates as far as I'm concerned.
I do like the Yze and Williams appointments but they haven't done anything at MFC yet, so until they do I'm not giving them a tick.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the big reasons for clearing debt due to the sale of the Leighoak club in 2018 for $7m before Pert was even at the club?

The increase in assets in 2020 was because they changed their accounting method from historical value to Fair value. So the club had been understating the Land assets real value in previous financial years, that isn't impressive and I don't think the current administration should get credit for this method. Obviously the previous administration/auditors had used this method for a rainy day to try and present the results in a more positive and currently accurate light when required.

I'm also not going to give them any huge credit for getting some sponsors on board, I mean FFS that is the basic minimum for them doing their jobs

Maybe I'm crazy but I think most fans will be a lot more pleased when they put together a decent ******* football team than trying to impress supporters with a healthy balance sheet

I do like the Yze and Williams appointments but they haven't done anything at MFC yet, so until they do I'm not giving them a tick.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the big reasons for clearing debt due to the sale of the Leighoak club in 2018 for $7m before Pert was even at the club?

The increase in assets in 2020 was because they changed their accounting method from historical value to Fair value. So the club had been understating the Land assets real value in previous financial years, that isn't impressive and I don't think the current administration should get credit for this method. Obviously the previous administration/auditors had used this method for a rainy day to try and present the results in a more positive and currently accurate light when required.

I'm also not going to give them any huge credit for getting some sponsors on board, I mean FFS that is the basic minimum for them doing their jobs

Maybe I'm crazy but I think most fans will be a lot more pleased when they put together a decent ******* football team than trying to impress supporters with a healthy balance sheet
Yeah look, IV thought for a few years off field we looked in good form, except the location of home base.

At what point do you stop blaming the board and put it back on players? They've got Darren Burgess, the most sought after fitness and conditioning bloke probably in Australia, for the past few years that's been coupled with very good line and assistant coaches... Under a coach who at times has shown a very good footy brain (perhaps not as much in recent 24 months)

And please, getting sponsors in 2020 during the covid bullshit is definitely an achievement.

Yeah look, IV thought for a few years off field we looked in good form, except the location of home base.

At what point do you stop blaming the board and put it back on players? They've got Darren Burgess, the most sought after fitness and conditioning bloke probably in Australia, for the past few years that's been coupled with very good line and assistant coaches... Under a coach who at times has shown a very good footy brain (perhaps not as much in recent 24 months)

And please, getting sponsors in 2020 during the covid bullshit is definitely an achievement.
I'm not giving the players a free pass at all. But the administration is there to employ the right people in the right positions to get the best out of the players that those staff draft/trade and to develop them as a team.

Burgess has done his job, no one can deny that. He got the team fit but still we fell short and if that happens again the coaching/development staff need to go and the administration that appointed them need to be help accountable too as they have obviously not put together the best functioning team that they could have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back