Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah look, IV thought for a few years off field we looked in good form, except the location of home base.

At what point do you stop blaming the board and put it back on players? They've got Darren Burgess, the most sought after fitness and conditioning bloke probably in Australia, for the past few years that's been coupled with very good line and assistant coaches... Under a coach who at times has shown a very good footy brain (perhaps not as much in recent 24 months)

And please, getting sponsors in 2020 during the covid bullshit is definitely an achievement.

Yeah, not sure how the board is to blame for underachievement on the field. Goodwin will be gone this year if we fail again anyway.

TBH we have some pretty good sponsors, Zurich, Jaguar, New Balance, Tourism NT. That's a pretty impressive bunch. New Balance is fantastic, get a ton of discounts. Went to Uni Hill outlets today and got a Melbourne long sleeve polo thingo for $50. Bargain. Their runners are elite too.

mrpez

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I could be wrong but wasn't one of the big reasons for clearing debt due to the sale of the Leighoak club in 2018 for $7m before Pert was even at the club?

The increase in assets in 2020 was because they changed their accounting method from historical value to Fair value. So the club had been understating the Land assets real value in previous financial years, that isn't impressive and I don't think the current administration should get credit for this method. Obviously the previous administration/auditors had used this method for a rainy day to try and present the results in a more positive and currently accurate light when required.
I agree, this is far from an impressive move from the club. We had an asset and revenue stream, now both of them are gone. Essentially that asset paid off a few years of debt, and we haven't replaced that revenue stream.

I'd be very curious to know why they seemed so opposed to Peter Lawrence, on paper he looks like a good fit.

Footy Focus Podcast

Actually support NMFC
Jun 8, 2020
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Hey Dees fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (I couldn’t find a dedicated “media” thread).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Melbourne this time.

From the 20.39min mark, we talk about the year the Dees had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 15mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 31 – 2021 – Club Reviews – Brisbane Lions & Melbourne Demons

Recorded on the 14th January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

Melbourne @ 20.39
- Finals narrowly missed in an indifferent, but ultimately, disappointing year
- Breakout year from Petracca as he & May lead the usual suspects in BnF count
- Lever & May get on the park & provide perfect partnership in defence
- Shock losses to non-finalists demoralising & midfield mix still a work in progress
- High flying Fritsch & silky Salem improved in 2020, as they enter their prime
- Can the inclusion of ex-Roo Brown improve Weideman & Melksham’s output?
- Young Dees (Baker, Sparrow etc) need to overtake the fringe veterans (Jones, Jetta etc) for Demons to push deep into finals again

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think Glen Jakovich on the money here. Though I disagree on him with the backline. I think our backline is solid our style of play is the reason why we leak so many goals imo. If anything our midfield probably needs more work than our backline.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I think Glen Jakovich on the money here. Though I disagree on him with the backline. I think our backline is solid our style of play is the reason why we leak so many goals imo. If anything our midfield probably needs more work than our backline.

Oh the money with what lol, pretty basic analysis without any evidence or even reasoning.

We scored 4 points less per game on average than the Tigers and conceded about 2 points more per game than Brisbane.

We were actually top 8 for points scored and conceded.

I've just done more analysis than he did sitting on the shitter.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oh the money with what lol, pretty basic analysis without any evidence or even reasoning.

We scored 4 points less per game on average than the Tigers and conceded about 2 points more per game than Brisbane.

That's actually quite surprising just feels like we are scored against so easily and our forward entries seem so wasteful. How does our inside 50 efficiency stack up against the rest of the comp. I still feel he is right we will finish mid table again hopefully in the eight though.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

Are you saying you wrote that post while taking a dump, or King wrote the article while taking a dump. Either way it's a huge turn on

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That's actually quite surprising just feels like we are scored against so easily and our forward entries seem so wasteful. How does our inside 50 efficiency stack up against the rest of the comp. I still feel he is right we will finish mid table again hopefully in the eight though.

Tigers goaled every 4.8 inside 50s
We goaled every 4.7

We conceded every 4.9 inside 50s
Tigers conceded every 5.4

So they are slightly better defensively.

But if I was gonna pin that on the defence it would be because Jetta dropped off and we often play Rivers/Salem/Lockhart down there who aren't necessarily defenders and we concede from ground balls.

I don't think you can blame the forwards and defenders, it's quality of entries and conceded. We often bomb it inside 50 out numbered and then can concede easy uncontested kicks inside.
The forwards and defenders arent the issue its the blokes on the big $$ inbetween them

Yeah, not sure how the board is to blame for underachievement on the field. Goodwin will be gone this year if we fail again anyway.
Who resigned Goodwin?

If he fails shouldn't the administration who employed him be held to account?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tigers goaled every 4.8 inside 50s
We goaled every 4.7

We conceded every 4.9 inside 50s
Tigers conceded every 5.4

So they are slightly better defensively.

But if I was gonna pin that on the defence it would be because Jetta dropped off and we often play Rivers/Salem/Lockhart down there who aren't necessarily defenders and we concede from ground balls.

I don't think you can blame the forwards and defenders, it's quality of entries and conceded. We often bomb it inside 50 out numbered and then can concede easy uncontested kicks inside.
The forwards and defenders arent the issue its the blokes on the big $$ inbetween them
Where do you get all those stats from? Agree our midfield needs work which I did mention. I guess being a supporter can be deceiving you tend to remember things more negatively. Can't argue with those stats.

Though perhaps we take advantage over the lower sides?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't really watch much footy anymore but every team is inefficient going forward, just look at the amount of scores these days compared to the past.
Inside 50s are around the same as they've always been it's that teams are rarely aiming up a target these days and moreso hoping to get territory.

Sonny Bonds

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually I was wrong, in 2005 there were 3000 less inside 50s and over 300 more goals. So the ball goes inside even more now for less scores.

2005- 18505 for 5118 goals

2019- 21503 for 4795 goals
You really want to punch figures to tell everyone that Melbourne can't convert from I/50's?

Everyone has known this for years?

I would put most of our goals conceded down to the fault of the midfield rather than the backline.
Or a lack of pressure up forward, particularly in the bulldogs game where we applied no forward pressure and their half backs dominated.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
I would put most of our goals conceded down to the fault of the midfield rather than the backline.
Too true. Our (inside) mids most only run one way. All they care about is being the hero to dump it into the forward line, they rarely get back to help the defense. If it wasn't for people like Gawn and Langdon getting back to help out, we would be scored against more.

P.S. Nice to be back. So sick of cricket, bring on footy season

It is actually insane how our midfield avoids criticism in the media from dumb campaigner 'analysts'.
do they? I think media are normally very happy to line up to take shots at Oliver or say Viney and Gus should be traded etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back