Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wonder if Brown and Weid actually could be available for ANZAC eve? They'll have 1.5 VFL games under their belt. I'd still probably prefer them to be available the week after as whilst I'd love to beat the tigers if we keep winning there is no rush, and even if we start losing surely we've learnt our lessons about rushing guys in.

Wonder if Brown and Weid actually could be available for ANZAC eve? They'll have 1.5 VFL games under their belt. I'd still probably prefer them to be available the week after as whilst I'd love to beat the tigers if we keep winning there is no rush, and even if we start losing surely we've learnt our lessons about rushing guys in.

I'm at a point where I completely trust our fitness management.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The other thing with Brown and Weid is, do you bring them back into the senior side together if they’re of the same fitness, or hold one back in the VFL? Be an interesting selection discussion.

T Mac out is a given I’d say, but not sure who goes out when both are fit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The other thing with Brown and Weid is, do you bring them back into the senior side together if they’re of the same fitness, or hold one back in the VFL? Be an interesting selection discussion.

I’d say it’s one of Sparrow or Jordan who rotate through the middle from half forward. Pickett and Trac probably share the increased centre bounces

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Footy is different this year for sure
Most inside 50s since 2000
Highest amount of goals kicked by key forwards since 2007
Highest percentage of goals by key forwards ever recorded on champion data.
40% more marks on the lead than last year

Basically key forwards who can lead are back and back in a big way. Ben Brown 🤞

I agree, was just floating it. I don't think we see them until round 7 at the earliest.

Yep. North in Hobart. Time to unleash Sideshow Bob.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Not the most pressing matter, but since Ben is being discussed it got me wondering if refs are more lenient with him on how much time he gets on set shots since he likes to start his routine in the defensive 50.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Brown in as soon as match fit. Experienced player. 2 weeks in VFL should be more than enough. I'd say he's a lock for the Tigers game. Weid not so much. I'd be hesitant in bringing both back at once. TMac would surely make way, but i wouldn't be pulling Jackson out as the ruck combo is working ok and our balance of talls and smalls seems about right. Weid might have to bide his time maybe?

Footy is different this year for sure
Most inside 50s since 2000
Highest amount of goals kicked by key forwards since 2007
Highest percentage of goals by key forwards ever recorded on champion data.
40% more marks on the lead than last year

Basically key forwards who can lead are back and back in a big way. Ben Brown
It will be interesting if this trend continues or clubs start locking games down

GWS and Hawthorn already tried in round 3 and the Hawks had some success too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It will be interesting if this trend continues or clubs start locking games down

I'm pretty sure Geelong were the ones slowing the game down. Hawthorn were lightning fast off half back through Impey, Jiath, Frosty, it just broke down inside 50. Geelong are a far better side than Hawthorn but hawthorn's fast game really should've beaten Geelongs chip it around game style. If Geelong and us put in the same performance as last week, I think we win easy.

Catch is because of the kick out rule the lockdown point has become much deeper. If you can roost it 65m to a contest on your defensive wing the opposition is now two kicks from home as opposed to one. Makes it easier on defences and harder to set up the F50 press - the defensive zone is now far more important.

I'm pretty sure Geelong were the ones slowing the game down. Hawthorn were lightning fast off half back through Impey, Jiath, Frosty, it just broke down inside 50. Geelong are a far better side than Hawthorn but hawthorn's fast game really should've beaten Geelongs chip it around game style. If Geelong and us put in the same performance as last week, I think we win easy.
Fair point

It looked like both teams played a man behind the ball to me, only Hawthorn would launch their attacks from defense a lot quicker than Geelong

But tbf I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the game until the last 10-15 minutes because it was pretty boring

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Helped Frost kicked 3 goals for Geelong.

Helped Frost kicked 3 goals for Geelong.
Frost doesn't turn the ball over, Frosty's playing intergalactic 5D chess while his teammates play checkers.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brown in as soon as match fit. Experienced player. 2 weeks in VFL should be more than enough. I'd say he's a lock for the Tigers game. Weid not so much. I'd be hesitant in bringing both back at once. TMac would surely make way, but i wouldn't be pulling Jackson out as the ruck combo is working ok and our balance of talls and smalls seems about right. Weid might have to bide his time maybe?

Yeh this will be one of the biggest calls Goody has to make this year, do we drop a small / mid sized player for Brown and go with an extra tall from what we have now, or do we drop one of Tmac or Jackson to make way. Then the same decision again when Weid is fit.

If Tmac is in good form then I can't see any reason he can't do some rucking to rest Gawn when needed, but if Jackson is in the better form I'd keep him over Tmac for sure.

Yeh this will be one of the biggest calls Goody has to make this year, do we drop a small / mid sized player for Brown and go with an extra tall from what we have now, or do we drop one of Tmac or Jackson to make way. Then the same decision again when Weid is fit.

If Tmac is in good form then I can't see any reason he can't do some rucking to rest Gawn when needed, but if Jackson is in the better form I'd keep him over Tmac for sure.
Jackson is way better below his knees than McDonald. For a game style like ours, we can’t be too top heavy.

McDonald out unless he kicks a bag in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's the go with ticketing? I was away first round so didn't go through the process.

I used my code as I have a reserved seat and basically no bays available anywhere.

Are they being released in lots of little stages? I was under a weird assumption having a reserved seat would guarantee you a ticket...

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
TMac's best chance when Brown and Weideman are fit could be to find a niche as the injury sub. He's almost the perfect player for it, can cover a tall at either end or go on to a wing and run all day if its a smaller player that's injured

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
TMac's best chance when Brown and Weideman are fit could be to find a niche as the injury sub. He's almost the perfect player for it, can cover a tall at either end or go on to a wing and run all day if its a smaller player that's injured
This is a very good point. The Mac brothers are the super subs. Smart really. Don't play much, still get paid and get a game counted on your games tally. If you do happen to come onto the ground not much is expected of you really. Sounds perfect for both TMac and OMac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back