news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like BJJ Scout's videos. This one on Maia is great. There'll be a 2nd part too which I'm looking forward to watching.

They linked to this analysis of Maia's MMA game by Gambledub (remove space between docs. & google): https://docs. google.com/document/d/19slUdRluinXLuibxVwetvee3bg0Lvm8BhhVENyra9V0/edit?usp=sharing

It's a pretty long read with heaps of gifs. It's amazing.

There's a list of other studies here (remove space between docs. & google): https://docs. google.com/document/d/1K0NlrWX6uynMpxsaFznY9Eav9AU9a2KLYLKBIJ2jmis/edit

I haven't read it yet, but the Charles Oliveira one should be great (remove space between docs. & google): https://docs. google.com/document/d/1v57AsTxAkZsxoVRUfoEw1tKRk_yq6v6Tyq709ysFjaE/edit?pref=2&pli=1

That Maia study I posted got some praise on the Sherdog forums from Josh Barnett. :thumbsu:

Not sure how many on here have read it. I'll just include bits of it if you don't want to read it. Maybe some will see this and be interested and then go read it.

upload_2016-6-20_20-36-58.png

We see the ¾ guard, headquarters and knee down headquarters respectively. If you look closely in all of the stills the opponent's left leg is constantly trapped in a butterfly hook in between Maia’s legs. Because this position is kept amongst all of the different positions Maia can transition between all three easily. Also note the change in elevation, with the headquarters being relatively higher in comparison to the other two positions. For example Maia could elevate from the ¾ guard to the headquarters to clear the opponent's right leg from his hip, before moving away from the opponent's butterfly hook and dropping his elevation to land in the knee down headquarters. Of course the above transition could also be done in reverse.

Note that the ¾ guard is usually used to move towards the butterfly hook (in this example Maia would move to his right) in order to force the half guard. The knee down headquarters is used to move away from the butterfly hook (in this example Maia would move to his left) in order to attack the dope mount. The headquarters position in the centre serves as an intermediate position in which Maia can easily transition between the two other positions. Notice how by having a passing series to both his left and right sides, Maia can easily switch between the two pass sequences should the opponent's defence become overly tenacious. This idea allows Maia to steal the opponent's momentum to assist a pass towards the opposite side.

On the left is the dope mount and on the right is the 3/4 mount:

upload_2016-6-20_20-45-39.png

We can see that both positions Maia has already essentially mounted the opponent. The only significant difference between the positions is the leg that is between the opponent's legs. Because the two positions are somewhat similar it is possible for Maia to transition between the two.

Moving from half guard into inverted half guard:

image16.gif

This flowchart shows Maia's passing system:

upload_2016-6-20_20-50-27.png

The study also discusses his takedowns. It talks about his clinch, single leg, double leg and high crotch takedowns and how he transitions between them to get takedowns. It also talks about his masterful ability to take the back from anywhere and everywhere.

Bloody elbow reporting the UFC has been sold, Dana White staying on
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/2...id-4-billion-sale-dana-white-staying-mma-news

This potential new ownership group apparently consists of WME-IMG, the Dailan Wanda Group, The Kraft Group, and Tencent Holdings. Alongside this news are reports that, despite selling his shares as part of the deal, President of Operations Dana White would be staying on in his role with the promotion, apparently receiving a new stake in the company as well.

Punk/Gall finally happening at 203. Be interesting if he pulls out again before then.

Valerie using her Reebok sports bra as an excuse for her reactions to the chest shots, seemed odd considering IIRC they were kicks to the mid area? Surely this day and age you can get it sorted in between rounds?

Punk/Gall finally happening at 203. Be interesting if he pulls out again before then.

Valerie using her Reebok sports bra as an excuse for her reactions to the chest shots, seemed odd considering IIRC they were kicks to the mid area? Surely this day and age you can get it sorted in between rounds?
She said that the incident that she stoped fighting and the ref stepped in that her bra slipped underneath her breasts. It certainly looked that way in that instance. Not sure she should be expected to fight out the round her salt lake citys out.

She said that the incident that she stoped fighting and the ref stepped in that her bra slipped underneath her breasts. It certainly looked that way in that instance. Not sure she should be expected to fight out the round her salt lake citys out.

Of course not, never said she should, but the final kick that lead to the TKO was to the mid section.

Of course not, never said she should, but the final kick that lead to the TKO was to the mid section.
Was her own fault for turning her back. Obviously she was experiencing something wrong with her bra but **** me never turn your back in a fight. Let the tit flop out if need be.

That's all correct and fair enough, but fighting while distracted is a legitimate concern that she shouldn't have to compete under. Yes she lost but Reebok have some questions to answer and it's hardly providing a safe working place if the uniform provided is faulty. There are places on the internet where you can find boobs, but it shouldn't be in the octagon while you're trying to avoid being punched in the face.

I dont think she linked the two incidents like u have. What article did you read? Becausr the one i did wasnt refering to the finish. She was clearly hurt to the body.

Was her own fault for turning her back. Obviously she was experiencing something wrong with her bra but **** me never turn your back in a fight. Let the tit flop out if need be.
Different incidents. I suspect she turned her back coz she was hurt as a way of submitting and the ref let her take damage she shouldnt of taken after that.

Yeh thats the way i read it, she fixed her bra a few times, the first one JoJo was pretty cool with, the second one i think JoJo threw her hands up like "c'mon" the one that finished her wasn't a wardrobe thing, she turned and walked off, personally i feel bad for the ref cause it was a weird one to interpret.

The gotta do something though cause JoJo has every right to continue going after her and frankly if they know they can use it to stop the action it wouldnt suprise me to see female fighters claiming it to recover when hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think she linked the two incidents like u have. What article did you read? Becausr the one i did wasnt refering to the finish. She was clearly hurt to the body.

I don't think I linked anything because she didn't make reference to a specific incident in her social media post, and while I no doubt sympathize with her plight, while it was obvious that she was adjusting herself, it could have easily misinterpreted that she wasn't happy with the chest shots either, and she obviously didn't mention anything to the ref or we would have heard by now. That wasn't really the awkward part of the match though anyway, her reaction to the shot to the mid wasn't typically what you would see in a fight. Might be wrong but I thought that the commentators mentioned the wardrobe malfunction during the match.

Again, don't know where I said she should be expected to continue fighting either.

Ryz

"Surely this day and age you can get it sorted in between rounds?"

Not directly but this gives the impression she should have continued fighting as is and fixed it in between rounds. I certainly thought thats what you were saying.

Agree on the ending of the fight, weird to blame the ref given how strange her reaction was.

Ryz

"Surely this day and age you can get it sorted in between rounds?"

Not directly but this gives the impression she should have continued fighting as is and fixed it in between rounds. I certainly thought thats what you were saying.

Agree on the ending of the fight, weird to blame the ref given how strange her reaction was.

No, just the actual fixing of her gear itself, bit harder for women obviously but the same way most ball sports have extra gear for their athletes, something similar would be available in MMA, moreso in a sport where blood is a common occurrence.

Not defending Reebok though, she has every right to be pissed but a long stretch to say she was insulted by the commentary.

Former UFC figher Ryan Jimmo passed away today as a result of a hit and run accident. From the sound of things, there was an altercation and he was struck as he was trying to return to his vehicle. Very sad news.

I read that. Man that sucks! Nothing good happens in an altercation in a car park at 2am, but you wouldn't be expecting to be run over when you're walking back to the car.

Cerrone vs Rick Story at UFC 202. Like this fight for both guys. If Donald can stay at distance, he should be able to pick Story apart. If Story can close the difference, I think he TKO's Cerrone to the body. He doesn't throw them technically, but Story's body shots are hard and Donald has shown a weakness there in the past.

Maia vs Condit announced recently. Interesting to see Condit return against someone he matches up with terribly after saying he'd retire unless he gets another title shot. I'm not complaining as I like the fight. Maia's one of the best, if not the best, offensive threats to take you down at WW and Condit's TDD is awful. If it was 5 rounds I'd like Condit's chances a lot more, but over 3 rounds the fight favours Maia big time.

Maia vs Condit announced recently. Interesting to see Condit return against someone he matches up with terribly after saying he'd retire unless he gets another title shot. I'm not complaining as I like the fight. Maia's one of the best, if not the best, offensive threats to take you down at WW and Condit's TDD is awful. If it was 5 rounds I'd like Condit's chances a lot more, but over 3 rounds the fight favours Maia big time.

I have Maia a slight favourite in the fight, but certainly think it could end up playing out like the Maia/MacDonald fight from a few years back. Condit doesn't have great takedown defense, but he's always working when taken down and is good at getting back to his feet. He's also got heart for days and wicked power for the weight class. Great piece of matchmaking and I'd have to assume the winner gets next shot after Wonderboy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back