news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't seem as bad as I'd imagined... Does anyone know what the injury is? Im not sure if I've missed it or it hasn't been disclosed

Apparently a "severe Grade 2 medial injury" or a technical term that Robbie uses is “My left knee’s ****ed”
Robert Whittaker reveals full extent of knee injury suffered against Yoel Romero at UFC 213
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
July 21, 2017 4:33pm
Subscriber only
ROBERT Whittaker earned Australia’s first UFC title by fighting for more than 20 minutes with a partially torn medial — an injury which can sideline NRL footballers for up to six weeks.

The Telegraph can reveal Whittaker, who defeated Cuban superstar Yoel Romero for the interim middleweight title at UFC 213, survived four rounds on a left knee that had suffered a severe Grade 2 medial injury.

The revelation is yet another nod to the toughness of the 26-year-old Sydney champ who has already fought, and won, twice in the UFC with a broken right hand.

Whittaker was only minutes into his first round against Romero when the Cuban produced a shuddering leg kick which, according to UFC commentator Joe Rogan, led to the Aussie returning to his corner at the break saying: “My left knee’s f---ed”.

b83321cee0b504e9e33939a57a971c0d

Whittaker beat Romero is a thrilling bout earlier this month.
Despite losing that round and the next, the Mt Annan slugger rallied on one leg for an incredible comeback win which has earned him a shot at champ Michael Bisping and a lengthy time in a knee brace.

Quizzed on the severity of his partial tear on Friday, Whittaker laughed: “Doctors always think the end of the world, right? If it was up to them I’d be in a wheelchair.

“But I’m extremely lucky to have a great sports doc in Andrew McDonald. He works with South Sydney (as head of medical) so he’s seen a lot of sports injuries and knows his athletes well.

“The injury itself, it’s not really my job to understand. All I can say is that it’s a serious grade two medial ... and hurt like hell when it happened.”

Given he needs to overcome an array of “niggling injuries”, Whittaker will likely not be ready for a world title showdown with Bisping until 2018.

MOTIVATION: Why Tupou still lives at home

NO WAY: Manly staff won’t hand over tech

As for the Sydney father-of-two being concerned an extended lay-off will result in the outspoken Englishman pushing for a fight with somebody else, notably former UFC welterweight champ Georges St Pierre?

“No, not at all,’’ Whittaker said. “I’ve never worried about what other fighters do and that’s served me well in the past.

“I just need to get my body healed and, once that happens, I’ll fight anyone in the world.

“I’ve never shied away from a fight. Ever.

“And the harder the fight is, the more you get me in — it’s like dangling bait in front of me.

“But I need to look after my body. I’m young enough to bounce back from a lot of things, but if I don’t look after my body it won’t look after me.”

88dc1017f91005e6b8b32b672c530aec

The win sets up a showdown with champion Michael Bisping.
Whittaker also confirmed he injured the left knee roughly four weeks out from the Romero fight.

“I suffered a strain during training and thought it would be sweet,’’ he said. “And it might’ve been had Romero not kicked it like he did.

“So as for when I’m back? My body will be the clock. I took a lot of little niggling injuries into that Romero fight. That’s the problem with taking fights too close together.

“They were injuries that not only impede your training, but also put you in bloody pain.”

And as for that right hand which, most recently, broke in the opening round of his win against Brazilian Rafael Natal in April, 2016.

“My hands don’t seem to be a problem right now,’’ Whittaker insisted. “They’re something I’ve always got to manage, I think it’s a problem with hitting hard,” he added with a laugh.

“But I’m doing the right things, strengthening programs and so on. Everything is fitting together well.”

Apparently a "severe Grade 2 medial injury" or a technical term that Robbie uses is “My left knee’s ******”
Oh that is good.. relative to other options.

Grade 2 is partial so it probably didnt require surgery.

Also said he tore his labrum in the first round and his shoulder poped three times throughout the fight.

Sorta changes my view slightly on his performance.

He has also said he will release s**t before when all the race stuff was going down..

Ha, sounds a little like Tyson to be fair

"I broke my neck"
"you broke your neck? How?
"Spinal"

Michael Bisping Confirms GSP Fight Will Take Place At UFC 217 In MSG
By Jim Edwards - August 1, 2017 0

It’s been a turbulent time for UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping lately, but his date with Georges St-Pierre now appears to be set in stone.

Less than a week ago, Bisping look to set to miss out on the opportunity to fight St-Pierre after UFC President announced during the UFC 214 pre-fight press conference that the winner of Demian Maia vs. Tyron Woodley would get the fight.

Bisping himself admitted on his ‘Believe You Me Podcast’ last evening that he was under the impression that the fight between himself and the Canadian wasn’t going to happen.

“To be honest, Dana said at the press conference last week that ‘The Bisping-GSP ship had sailed’,” Bisping said. “When he said that I was like oh right fair enough. He said the winner of Woodley vs. Maia gets GSP and I was like oh right, whatever, it would’ve been nice and a bigger payday and all that stuff, but I was just mentally drained with it all.

“I was like f*ck it whatever, I’d already agreed to fight Robert Whittaker or Yoel Romero, whichever one of those guys won I’d agreed to fight so for me, I’d mentally moved on as well. I honestly had. Of course, I was still hoping for it, but I’d given up campaigning for several reasons, one, because it looked like it wasn’t happening because every time I spoke to Dana he just shot it down.”

While that may have been the case this time last week, things changed following Woodley’s widley criticised win over Maia. White then spoke to BT Sport backstage and announced he’d changed his mind and that Bisping vs. St-Pierre was now back on.

Bisping revealed how he found out himself after he’d finished his duties filming with FOX Sports that evening. The UFC middleweight champion also confirmed Ariel Helwani’s report later that night that the fight would take place at Madison Square Garden on November 4 at UFC 217.

“I start looking at Twitter as I’m walking to get changed out of my suit and Twitter is like going crazy and everyone is retweeting Dana saying at the press conference and I’m like what the f*ck,” Bisping said. “Then boom, I get a text from Dana saying call me. I’m like, woah f*ck, here we go. So I call him, but there’s no answer, so I’m thinking you know he’s probably still doing his interviews and what not .

“SO I DRIVE HOME AND YEAH, DANA CALLS, THERE YOU GO, NOVEMBER 4, MADISON SQUARE GARDEN MICHAEL BISPING VS. GSP FOR THE THIRD TIME.”

“After Dana had made it public, the amount of people texting me ‘congrats’, ‘amazing’ everyone is saying ‘congrats’ and I’m like what do you mean f*cking ‘congrats’. I appreciate the sentiment I really do, but I’m like I’ve been here three times [before with] people saying congrats for this fight which is yet to materialize.”

Woodley's completely right about White being the promoter. So often he does a s**t job at that. When Johnson/Borg was made official he said something about how it's not going to sell. Such a pointless thing to say when you're the promoter. All it can possibly do is make people even less willing to buy the PPV.

White is very willing to lie his arse off all the bloody time. And he didn't even need to lie to not be a s**t promoter after Woodley/Maia. He said nobody wants to watch Woodley fight. Why say that? It achieves nothing and is better left unsaid by someone who is meant to be promoting the fights/fighter.

A lot of the time I'll be rooting for the opponent Woodley faces. I don't really have anything against him but I really like a lot of the welterweights he might face. Having said that, it would be hilarious if he keeps winning uneventful decisions. My first thought was that the fans that really hate Woodley would get more and more pissed off over time. The even better thing is that White and the UFC would hate it. They brought this on themselves. They gave him the title shot they promised him when they could have easily rescinded it. They also let fighters go that had real shots at taking the title from him. I wonder if they wish they still had MacDonald to throw against him?

Can anyone link me with that site that someone posted on here recently that was like the MMA equivalent of IMDB.

Forgot to bookmark it and have a few fights that I might consider checking out on Fight Pass but don't want to go through the rigmarole of sitting through a fizzer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread turned 7 yesterday.
I just went and read the first dozen pages.. geez time moves quick. Things like the Anthony Pettis super kick, the end of WEC and Chuck retiring. Does not feel like 7 years ago :( I'm getting old.

I just went and read the first dozen pages.. geez time moves quick. Things like the Anthony Pettis super kick, the end of WEC and Chuck retiring. Does not feel like 7 years ago :( I'm getting old.
Agreed. Cannot believe that Pettis super kick was 7 years ago!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back